Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we know specs and options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Yes, I'm obsessing. I know I'm not alone. And I've seen speculations about options. But what I want to know just at present is: When will Tesla announce the available options and specifications for the Model 3???

Yes, I'm obsessing. I know I'm not alone. And I've seen speculations about options. But what I want to know just at present is: When will Tesla announce the available options and specifications for the Model 3???
Possibly during Reveal 3, which may be in the March/April timeframe. Or maybe not. Until it's officially announced, it's all speculation. ;)

Okay. Speculation. And I really don't care about such details, nor do I care all that much about colors (interior or exterior) or other cosmetic stuff. I don't even care what it will look like.

I want to know stuff like what size battery pack it will have, what autopilot features will be enabled at launch. (I know it will have all the hardware for autonomous driving because they announced that.) I want to know the zero-to-sixty times for the dual-motor option (I think they said dual-motor would be available). I want to know whether Ludicrous will be available and what the 0-60 will be for that.

And I'm really not interested in speculation about any of that. I want to know when Tesla will announce all that stuff so we actually know.

Possibly during Reveal 3, which may be in the March/April timeframe. Or maybe not. Until it's officially announced, it's all speculation. ;)

Thank you. That helps.

Damn, I really want this car. (Yeah, I know that just about everyone reading this feels the same. o_O )

FWIW, when I bought the Roadster I didn't even care that it was a sports car. I just wanted an electric car with enough power to go on the freeway, and enough range to make it from Spokane to Coeur d'Alene and back. The Xebra couldn't manage either. And I had given up on the Leaf after waiting six months past the original promised delivery date and being treated like a mushroom by Nissan that whole time. But now that I've been driving the Roadster for 5 1/2 years I've gotten used to the torque, and I want Ludicrous in my Model 3.

Reactions: AustinPowers
I'm exactly in the same boat (except for the fact that I don't have a Roadster ;)), but I am sure we will get to know the details soon enough. Even if Tesla doesn't do reveal part 3 in March/April, but rather June/July, it's only a couple more months now.
Can almost smell the new car interior already... :)

I'm exactly in the same boat (except for the fact that I don't have a Roadster ;)), but I am sure we will get to know the details soon enough. Even if Tesla doesn't do reveal part 3 in March/April, but rather June/July, it's only a couple more months now.
Can almost smell the new car interior already... :)

I would pay an extra $5,000 for an option to have no new-car smell. The smell of new cars makes me physically ill to an extreme. The nausea is overwhelming. I don't buy a new car very often. But when I do I have to leave the windows open for days or weeks to get rid of that disgusting, nauseating, probably cancer-causing smell.

Honestly? I know of many people who truly love that smell. There are even departments at carmakers that are solely responsible for making sure that the new car has the right smell. I have seen a documentation about the development of new cars on TV a while ago and found it quite fascinating to what lengths carmakers go to ensure such an insignificant detail is done "right". I myself like the new car smell also, but if the new car had a neutral smell I wouldn't mind either. The only thing I don't like is the smell of leather, especially in new cars.

Last edited:
Honestly? I know of many people who truly love that smell. There are even departments at carmakers that are solely responsible for making sure that the new car has the right smell. I have seen a documentation about the development of new cars on TV a while ago and found it quite fascinating to what lengths carmakers go to ensure such an insignificant detail is done "right". I myself like the new car smell also, but if the new car had a neutral smell I wouldn't mind either. The only thing I don't like is the smell of leather, especially in new cars.

Yes. I know some people love that smell. But I cannot tolerate it. It makes me actually sick. I also hate perfumes. I love the smell of newly-mown grass and hay, and the smell of most flowers (in the wild there are a few that stink), and the air in the mountains after a rain. In the mountains there are a myriad of smells I love. But I hate the artificial smells of pretty much everything man-made, from perfumes to solvents. Room fresheners that are supposed to smell like the outdoors smell horrid to me.

I know I'm in the minority on this.

'new car smell' from all the VOCs in the adhesives, foams, plastics, leather, etc that are off-gassing, so makes sense it should be something we do not want in our cars. ;)
I'm still guilty of liking it though, I think because we attribute it to fresh and new (even if noxious).

Reactions: preilly44
Yes. I know some people love that smell. But I cannot tolerate it. It makes me actually sick.

I have never bought a new Tesla, but I have heard reports from others that they don't have the traditional new car smell. I did test drive one, and don't remember a strong new car smell (but new car smell doesn't bother me, so I may not have noticed it anyways). Also - bioweapon defense mode is supposed to be good a removing interior odors - you should probably think about getting that option if its available.

Can Bioweapon Defense Mode eliminate "new car smell"?

I have never bought a new Tesla, but I have heard reports from others that they don't have the traditional new car smell. I did test drive one, and don't remember a strong new car smell (but new car smell doesn't bother me, so I may not have noticed it anyways). Also - bioweapon defense mode is supposed to be good a removing interior odors - you should probably think about getting that option if its available.

Can Bioweapon Defense Mode eliminate "new car smell"?

I bought my Roadster new, but it was an orphan car that had never been delivered to the person who originally ordered it, and it had sat in inventory for something like a year.

If we take the Model S & X as a model for how/when we get to know this, it is when the design studio for the car opens. Soon someone with an early access posts pictures here on TMC of how it looks like and what options and prices is available. Some options and/or some about prices may be announced at the part#3 soon, and some in some tweet from Elon in the next months after.

Maybe they do it in a different way this time?

Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?
Are we almost there?

I would pay an extra $5,000 for an option to have no new-car smell. The smell of new cars makes me physically ill to an extreme. The nausea is overwhelming. I don't buy a new car very often. But when I do I have to leave the windows open for days or weeks to get rid of that disgusting, nauseating, probably cancer-causing smell.
I'm with you. Can't stand the new car smell either. When I was younger, my mother had a Camry for 10 years, and somehow that new car smell lasted the entire 200k mile life of the car. She didn't mind it, but us three kids did. Heavily. Maybe it's genetic? It got to the point where we couldn't do long roadtrips in that car because the entire backseat was in danger of tossing a sidewalk pizza. All the air fresheners in the world never did put a dent in that smell.