Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we see a photo of SN1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it might be closer to your #1 suggestion.

Yes, watch the video closely... The moment the "rings" come on in the back, you can see a reflection of the headlights in the bumper of the car in front:
lights3.png

I wonder how he knocked the headlights on briefly. Maybe one of those "pull back on the stalk" to "flash to pass" type momentary clicks. I think he was reaching around to roll down the windows at that moment.

( By the way, is that door closed all the way? The gap looks a little wide. )

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: alexeiw123
its pretty interesting.....the differences between the Alpha and SN1. I love it

model_3_comparison.jpg

The wheels are clearly different sizes on these cars, but I don't think the wheelbase has changed between the alpha and RC. So, if you line up the wheelbase, the cars are almost identical - the back bumper, the doors, joints, everything with the exception of the front bumper, which has a slightly lower nose on the RC.

All other differences can be explained by the differences in the camera angle. The silver car was taken nearly perfectly perpendicular to the B-pillar. The black car was taken perpendicular to the rear wheel, more toward the rear (just look at the two front wheels), so the back bumper appears longer. It's an illusion.

Here is a transparent overlay of these two cars. The only thing different is the front.

c3iRkar.jpg

The wheels are clearly different sizes on these cars, but I don't think the wheelbase has changed between the alpha and RC. So, if you line up the wheelbase, the cars are almost identical - the back bumper, the doors, joints, everything with the exception of the front bumper, which has a slightly lower nose on the RC.

All other differences can be explained by the differences in the camera angle. The silver car was taken nearly perfectly perpendicular to the B-pillar. The black car was taken perpendicular to the rear wheel, more toward the rear (just look at the two front wheels), so the back bumper appears longer. It's an illusion.

Here is a transparent overlay of these two cars. The only thing different is the front.

c3iRkar.jpg
That's not a bad color, overlaying the silver and the blue, BTW

Yes, watch the video closely... The moment the "rings" come on in the back, you can see a reflection of the headlights in the bumper of the car in front

There are a few reasons that might happen.
  1. Notification to lead car that following car is applying the brakes for platooning.
  2. Converging beam range finding like tracers . . dot spacing translates to distance.
  3. Assisting illumination for street parking.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Yes, watch the video closely... The moment the "rings" come on in the back, you can see a reflection of the headlights in the bumper of the car in front:
View attachment 235100

I wonder how he knocked the headlights on briefly. Maybe one of those "pull back on the stalk" to "flash to pass" type momentary clicks. I think he was reaching around to roll down the windows at that moment.

( By the way, is that door closed all the way? The gap looks a little wide. )

Very good pick up...

interesting too, is that it appears the left light or DRL comes on before the right. Slow the video down and it becomes obvious.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-12_12-40-55.png
    upload_2017-7-12_12-40-55.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 53
Does that trigger tail lights?
Yeah, good point... Made me go check a couple of cars and neither lit up the tail lights when I flashed the high beams like that.
So maybe he bumped the headlight on switch not just the high beam toggle. Or back to my other comment that the light sensor got blocked and put it in night mode for a moment.

Or maybe Elon was messing with us with the phone app turning the headlights on and off remotely! :p

There are a few reasons that might happen.
  1. Notification to lead car that following car is applying the brakes for platooning.
  2. Converging beam range finding like tracers . . dot spacing translates to distance.
  3. Assisting illumination for street parking.
A friend added, "Active illumination to help qualify images that trigger auto brake."