Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we see a photo of SN1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the SN1 to be built by hand, or by the robotic line at super slow mo speed? Presumably they have built several (many M3) by hand all ready for regulatory approval and to understand the process of how to program the robotic line...

Two questions:

(1) I'm unclear on why if SN1 is rolling off the assembly line today, it isn't going into the hands of its new owner like right away, or within a couple days. Why the delay until July 28?

SN1 will have the benefit of a multiple pass QA process. Anything found in SN2-30 would probably get fixed on those and SN1 before delivery using this delay.

It'd be a waste of time to send it out and bring it back before the 28th if they can just hold on to it for a few days and use it for QA comparisons (does this part look better on SN1 or SN 15? If we speed up the line did panel gap change, lets go back and look at SN1 again).

Last edited:
You do realize that he was absent because he was managing a big unveil event for Tesla, right?

Tesla isn't just cars, and many people seem to forget that.
Not only do I realize it, it was kind of the point I was making. Tesla Energy, Space X, Boring company, hyperloop, open AI...all are worthwhile enterprises but they all compete with Tesla motors for time and attention.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Not only do I realize it, it was kind of the point I was making. Tesla Energy, Space X, Boring company, hyperloop, open AI...all are worthwhile enterprises but they all compete with Tesla motors for time and attention.

That's been true since Elon took a strong role at Tesla, though. All of the success so far has been done with Musk having less than half his attention directed at Tesla--why do you think the success will suddenly stop now? SpaceX and Tesla have both been ramping and improving dramatically as Elon's time needs have broadened. I would say he has things under control and I would take him over any other CEO any day for this company.

Someone else mentioned it best--GM's CEO is present 100% of the time, so you can put more faith into her if you don't trust Elon :)

Reactions: KJD and dhrivnak
John DeLorean is not dead. He's alive and well in 1985.

You SAY that ... :D

Old School Humor - DeLorean was caught in a sting operation trying to buy a massive amount of cocaine to help finance his failing DeLorean Motor Corp. We called cocaine 'snow' back before it looked like dirty rocks.

For all intents and purposes Johnny D is dead. The coke thing ended Delorean Motors and what was left of his career.

Perhaps this has been mentioned upthread, but I don't remember any photos of completed vehicles for either S or X prior to respective delivery events. Is there a reason people think they might have a photo of the first Model 3? Or is this just the normal rampant speculation in lieu of real information?
:)

• Funny
Reactions: KJD
Is there a reason people think they might have a photo of the first Model 3?
Elon tweeted last weekend that he expected the first M3 to come off the production line on Friday (yesterday). Very specific. Why would he make that announcement and then not say something about it when it happened? I expect once he's back form Australia and in the factory (during the day - he was just tweeting at 3:30 a.m.) with other bodies, we'll hear something. Maybe on Monday.

Perhaps this has been mentioned upthread, but I don't remember any photos of completed vehicles for either S or X prior to respective delivery events. Is there a reason people think they might have a photo of the first Model 3? Or is this just the normal rampant speculation in lieu of real information?
:)

A very respectable member of the investor section mailed investor relations about SN1 specifically asking if we would get an update. He got a swift reply that 'Elon will probably tweet it'. I am too lazy to dig up the post right now, but someone else must have it handy for sure.

Reactions: erthquake
Elon tweeted last weekend that he expected the first M3 to come off the production line on Friday (yesterday). Very specific. Why would he make that announcement and then not say something about it when it happened? I expect once he's back form Australia and in the factory (during the day - he was just tweeting at 3:30 a.m.) with other bodies, we'll hear something. Maybe on Monday.

A very respectable member of the investor section mailed investor relations about SN1 specifically asking if we would get an update. He got a swift reply that 'Elon will probably tweet it'. I am too lazy to dig up the post right now, but someone else must have it handy for sure.

I have no doubt that 'Elon will probably tweet an update', but I don't have any reason to believe that means he'll tweet a photo of SN1. Maybe he will, but there is nothing that I've heard (or historical precedent with the other models) that would indicate he will. Tesla has always done 'ta dahhh' reveals, even with cars spotted out in the wild. I seem to remember that there was a production line photo prior to the first X deliveries where a sharp-eyed forum member spotted part of a falcon wing door in the background - but that's a far cry from an entire vehicle.

Obviously I could be wrong. But I see nothing that indicates a photo of SN1 is coming before the Delivery Event.

Obviously I could be wrong. But I see nothing that indicates a photo of SN1 is coming before the Delivery Event.
Someone on one of the message boards here emailed Tesla IR earlier in the week and posted their response. They said something that implied Elon would tweet a message about SN #1. I'm paraphrasing and don't remember who posted the IR response, but it was possibly in one of the Investing threads.

SN1 is really insignificant as far as a car goes. I doubt it's being driven yet if it was produced.

Normally SNxxxxxx01 will be gone over with a fine toothed comb, and every major, minor, or observation non-conforming characteristic will be investigated for it's root cause then corrected. This can take days. You don't want to fix the same problem on 30, or 30,000 cars when you knew SN01 had it.

SN1 is really insignificant as far as a car goes. I doubt it's being driven yet if it was produced.

Normally SNxxxxxx01 will be gone over with a fine toothed comb, and every major, minor, or observation non-conforming characteristic will be investigated for it's root cause then corrected. This can take days. You don't want to fix the same problem on 30, or 30,000 cars when you knew SN01 had it.

So SN1 would be the first car made off the line? Or the first car off the line after adjustments you mentioned. I thought some of the RCs where made on the line and not to be sold to work out the bugs, so that SN1 is off and good to go. Otherwise how could they be ready to hand off 30 of them in 2.85 weeks. Unless I misunderstood your post.

So SN1 would be the first car made off the line? Or the first car off the line after adjustments you mentioned. I thought some of the RCs where made on the line and not to be sold to work out the bugs, so that SN1 is off and good to go. Otherwise how could they be ready to hand off 30 of them in 2.85 weeks. Unless I misunderstood your post.

Just because they used the RC phase to refine away any issues doesn't mean they won't continue to look for problems. I'm sure they will be continually adjusting their process as they go. SN1 just means the first one with a regular production VIN. The level of minor adjustment needed afterward, and whether it was completely made on the new line, doesn't seem particularly relevant.

Someone on one of the message boards here emailed Tesla IR earlier in the week and posted their response. They said something that implied Elon would tweet a message about SN #1. I'm paraphrasing and don't remember who posted the IR response, but it was possibly in one of the Investing threads.
Again, tweeting an update is not a commitment to post a photo of a particular VIN. I fully expect Elon will tweet something about progress prior to the delivery event. But I don't expect a photo.