Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we see Model S play a "starring role" in a movie?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PureAmps

Model S P85 (#2817)
Oct 22, 2012
SF Bay Area
Simian posted a great indoor shot of a Pearl White Model S that has a very cinematic look to it (Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions - Page 9). It got me thinking how long before we see Model S "star" in a movie? And by that I mean play a key role in the film's story/plot. For example: every James Bond film, Ronin, The Italian Job, etc.

The Model S definitely has sex appeal, can hold its own with any performance sedan, so it would fit right into most action movies. It would be a great marketing coup for Tesla, and there seems to be a lot of love for Tesla in Hollywood. The car also has unique qualities like its near silence, which could be used to great effect in the film.

I'll make a prediction of some action blockbuster in Summer 2015, just when Gen III is starting to roll out.

Audi (or whomever) generally pays a ton for the product placement of their cars in these types of movies. Like the Roadster's cameos, it will have to be a filmmaker who love the Model S and just sticks it in the movie despite not getting a dime for it from Tesla.

Yes; their marketing dollars at work. Acura's RDX and TL placement in "The Avengers" was laughably bad although the new NSX at the end was cool.

Fast and the Furious 6 is set for release May 24th in the US. Just sayin' :). I did like the nr 1 and 2 of those movies at least... And this nr 6 has both Vin Diesel and Paul Walker so maybe it could be good. A P85 doing some high-speed stealth manouvers would be cool.

Funny enough, back in '08 or so some Hollywood guy reached out to me to help get him in touch with someone at Tesla for this very reason. It was for some superhero movie and there was a plot point where the protagonist would use the Whitestar/Model S battery for some purpose. I got him in touch with some people at Tesla, but he never got a positive response.

I can't remember exactly, but if the project went through I think the movie was supposed to come out sometime in 2010 around when Tesla had previously indicated the car would enter production.

Funny enough, back in '08 or so some Hollywood guy reached out to me to help get him in touch with someone at Tesla for this very reason. It was for some superhero movie and there was a plot point where the protagonist would use the Whitestar/Model S battery for some purpose. I got him in touch with some people at Tesla, but he never got a positive response.

I can't remember exactly, but if the project went through I think the movie was supposed to come out sometime in 2010 around when Tesla had previously indicated the car would enter production.

Perhaps Iron Man 2? Iron Man had a Roadster in it. Iron Man 2 had a cameo by Elon Musk. Iron Man would be able to use a battery. Came out in 2010.

I just hope they don't put engine sounds in the sound track.

Ha! Unfortunately, that is probably almost guaranteed to happen. :)

Though, I can imagine a great chase scene between a Tesla and a throaty V8, if they could cut between the driver of the V8 with a constant loud roar, and the driver of the S in near silence with a classical music soundtrack playing in the background.