Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will X use new battery cells?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might get the X in the next year, but don't want to get it before the new cells from the gigafactory are used. I assume they will be incrementally better in range, longevity, charging speed, etc.

Any idea when that'll happen? End of this year?

Tesla has a contract with Panasonic for 18650 cells that won't expire for a couple of years. They can change it of course, but I think the Model S and X will probably continue to use the 18650 for another year or two. When the switch does happen, it will be in both cars as the drive train and batteries are the same for each car.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy
I'm thinking end of the year or early next year, but it's not a simple question - gigafactory capacity, existing 18650 contracts, possibly converting existing lines to 2170?

It'll probably start like the silicon heavy chemistry in the 75/90/100 did - they'll have one top end optional pack that's 2170 cells (120 kWh? or just replace the 100?) while the rest are 18650, then gradually shift as the capacity and remaining supply dictate.

• Informative
I'm interested in this question too. I can't imagine it will be two years though. The new cell is a key factor in Tesla's profitability. The Model 3 has to have it to be profitable, is what I understood. I predict it will be in cars within 6 months! Start a poll!

If they charge faster and offer significantly better range you can bet they'll be in at least the top tier S/X at the same time or slightly earlier than when the civilian model 3 deliveries start. Tesla has said higher tech will always be in S/X first. I can't believe they'd let their budget car have faster charging/more miles/whatever other benefits the chemistry could bring before their premium cars. This would go against "anti-selling" the Model 3. If they're far enough along for Elon to promise that massive amount of storage to Australia in like 100 days or something I would imagine we'll see at least the top line have the new chemistry fairly soon. Just my wild assumption, though. Even if it's the P100D, they can at least say our premium car had the tech first.

Perhaps a bigger question is when the step change will happen to packs capable of being charged at > 200 kW. Cell size is probably irrelevant for the buyer.

Perhaps the greater surface area of 18650 is advantageous to cooling high watt charging.

I'm thinking/hoping the model x with the new cells will be 120... .that would be so sweet on trips .

Wouldn't want to buy just before that upgrade.

I hadn't thought of their contacts for the old cells. Are any of those contacts public? (I assume no).

Might get the X in the next year, but don't want to get it before the new cells from the gigafactory are used. I assume they will be incrementally better in range, longevity, charging speed, etc.
Any idea when that'll happen? End of this year?
The key word in your question is "incrementally". And the increment is small !
You'll have to wait a few years for anything substantial.

It isn't clear the new cells will be any better. Oh, they will certainly be cheaper for Tesla to manufacture, and they will probably have better energy density, but they might be worse in other areas like peak power performance (remember Model 3 is not a performance vehicle). So it isn't something I would worry/think about.

If they charge faster and offer significantly better range you can bet they'll be in at least the top tier S/X at the same time or slightly earlier than when the civilian model 3 deliveries start. Tesla has said higher tech will always be in S/X first. I can't believe they'd let their budget car have faster charging/more miles/whatever other benefits the chemistry could bring before their premium cars. This would go against "anti-selling" the Model 3. If they're far enough along for Elon to promise that massive amount of storage to Australia in like 100 days or something I would imagine we'll see at least the top line have the new chemistry fairly soon. Just my wild assumption, though. Even if it's the P100D, they can at least say our premium car had the tech first.

We have no proof the 2170s have any better chemistry than the current 18650 cells. I strongly doubt the Model 3 will charge faster. It will likely charge slower.

Seriously? This thread has been active for over 12 hours and no one has produced the correct answer yet? Very strange.

2170 cells will be coming in Model-S and Model-X before the end of the year. So says Elon Musk. I believe he stated that on the May 3rd Earnings call, but apparently, also earlier according to this article.

• Informative
Might get the X in the next year, but don't want to get it before the new cells from the gigafactory are used. I assume they will be incrementally better in range, longevity, charging speed, etc. Any idea when that'll happen? End of this year?
No one outside of Tesla knows when it will happen with any accuracy, but it may well happen by the end of this year. Maybe.

We also don't know for sure if the 2170 cells will enable higher charge rates, or if using them in the S/X will result in Tesla offering higher capacity optional battery packs. Maybe Tesla will maintain the same pack sizes for awhile even after switching to 2170s to boost profit margins (can use fewer cells in a pack to achieve the same pack capacity). We don't know.

Let the speculation continue...

Reactions: FlyF4