Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will you change your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought mine on a 4 year PCP.... like you previous cars have been changed for those reasons (the last two boredom), but they were PCP'd also... so just because I've started out with 4 years doesn't mean it'll change.

A lot will be about how the car fares, wear and faults developing, and how bored I get with it. I expect in 4 years things will have moved on a bit, and although not bored, there'll be other options, and upgrades worth considering.

I would consider changing if there was a significant technology advancement. An extra 100 miles on a single charge would appeal as would significantly faster charging.

I would be nervous in going over 100k miles either way though.

I plan to have my 3 for as long as it will run. If it needs new batteries I'm happy to have them swapped. I'm not a fan of changing cars every few years; it's a bit of an oxymoron in my mind when considering I brought it to be as environmentally friendly as I can be as a car owner.

This. Especially with a car that get regular updates and new functional improvements over OTA, but also if Tesla have designed it in such a way that we can upgrade to new MCUs in the long term if we need to.

Reactions: M3-Newbie
This. Especially with a car that get regular updates and new functional improvements over OTA, but also if Tesla have designed it in such a way that we can upgrade to new MCUs in the long term if we need to.
It's not going to be scrapped, in fact by putting another quality EV into the second hand market and buying a new EV you are hastening the decarbonisation of transport.

It's not going to be scrapped, in fact by putting another quality EV into the second hand market and buying a new EV you are hastening the decarbonisation of transport.

I want to agree, but right now it looks to me that lease deals and the like are just saturating the market and clogging roads as a result.

I do think people should own cars for longer than a few years because they’re built to last longer than that, but that’s just my opinion of course.

I bought my S thinking the 3 would take longer to be available - not that I think I'd have liked a 3, the S is too minimalist as it is (for me). The gloss of ownership took about 6 mths to wear off. It's a nice car to drive but the computerisations and nonsense toys and things that just aren't right and prolonged promises and delays all take away from that. I've upgraded to HW3 but that will be redundant all too soon and Tesa service distance and aggros, the need soon to upgrade again to a CCS charge port (if we ever see the back of COVID and it's worth taking longer journeys)....
I had intended my S to be a jumping off point for the Roadster but with the on-going delays of that, the depreciation of my S, what the heck happens when the 4 year warranty is up etc...being expected to pay again for FSD... I can easily see me going back to a more modest practical vehicle with less tech so long as I can find one I fit in. Withut a reliable non-tesla charger network it may well be ICE and wait for the EV tech and networks to mature.
My other car is 27 yrs old, still fun to drive but parts getting hard to find. Even blowing the engine up 4 years ago and having it totally rebuilt cost less than a year's S depreciation, insurance is way cheaper, can be serviced.fixed locally. the A/C still works fine and has never been touched whereas Tesla want me to have a new dessicant pack on the S for over £150 because they've designed stuff so the system needs stripping and regassing to do it every few years - Crazy.
4 sec 0-60 is fun but a car is really just transport and there's cheap stuff in the fast lane going faster than I'm prepared to risk my licence....
Well said. I’m 3 years into the ‘experiment’ and we’re entering the flattened depreciation stage, but (as with all cars, but a bit more unknown with Tesla) also the contemporaneous expensive ‘out of warranty stage’ where big repair bills could be rather interesting, I’d hazard especially so in X and S rather than 3 because of the quirky build stuff in our second gen. platform.

Early days yet with fleet electrification of other makes who are barely getting their own ‘proper’ first generation platforms out the door and ditto charging platforms. I’m hopeful by 2025 there should be a lot more real choice.

I suppose we should thank Tesla (and indirectly ourselves!) for helping to force that wider change to actually happen.

I’ve had my first car (MX-5) for about 5 months and now god an M3 on order. I’d expect 6 years unless i get a couple of sizable promotions in which case as soon as I can afford the Roadster ;)

Hopefully I don’t become sensible by the time - at 31 and get a house instead... that would be sad.

After a year of ownership, and now in the winter again when the car really shows it's annoying traits, for me as soon as another car manufacturer like Audi, Merc, BMW bring out a small SUV that is quick, has a slightly better real world range, at around £60K.

OR unless Telsa get their act right and sort out all those annoying little issues that irritate me daily, which personally for some they cannot.

Longest time I owned a car before was 3.5 years, took delivery of our X in March 2017 and cannot see my self parting with it for a long long time to come. The recent MCU2 and AP hardware retrofit was just nuts, Tesla has essentially given access to all the latest software stuff in a car over 3 years old. Most manufactures will never give that level of retrospective support and rather owners just buy a new car.

Cannot see me selling ours till the battery warranty runs out in 2025, and if Tesla do start offering battery retrofits as Elon has suggested in the past I can see us keeping the X pretty much forever :).

I do like the look of the Taycan as the second car in the family to replace the Lexus IS, but £90K for effectively a small saloon is far too rich for us at present. I would however happily spend £10-15K getting buying/restoring a DC2 Teg and keeping it as a garage queen......SWMBO is totally against the idea though, so on balance a Taycan is probably a more like to happen than getting another DC2 :(.

I’ll be changing my car in another two years. I won’t be getting another M3 unless Tesla significantly improve comfort and refinement to bring it up to levels expected in this price range. I’ve also well fallen out of love with the single screen and want a decent binnacle display and a HUD.

I’ve only used a supercharger half a dozen times in 14 months and I’m not in the slightest bit interested in FSD, so for me Tesla has no advantage over other manufacturers. OTA software updates will be industry standard soon. I’ll be interested to see what comes out in the next couple of years.

I’ll be changing my car in another two years. I won’t be getting another M3 unless Tesla significantly improve comfort and refinement to bring it up to levels expected in this price range.

This is one fo the reasons I'm always harsh on my Tesla. They do have to improve their build quality as so many other car manufacturers are catching up with them technology wise. Hopefully Berlin will provide an uptick in build quality