Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will you upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 70. Ever since I turned 30, when I could finally afford to buy a new car instead of a used one, I've tried to keep each car for 10 years. There was one car that didn't quite make it, then there was one that lasted 18 years and was still a joy to drive when it burned up in a fire not of it's own making. Having said all that, I bought an M3LR last September and will also try to keep it for 10 years. By then I'll be 80 and treat myself to either a new Tesla or a new battery powered wheelchair.
Other side of the Berks and 58 but completely agree. Can't see myself pumping gas again.

For many of the early Model 3 owners, it is getting close to 3 years of ownership and If you are like me, you begin to think about “What’s next?” This is the first car I have owned that I am struggling to find something I would want more at this moment.

What would convince you to trade in your Model 3?
  • Upgrade to a new Model 3
    • Longer range
    • Better performance
    • Quieter cabin
    • Other features
  • Upgrade to another Tesla
    • Model S/X/Y
    • Cybertruck
    • Roadster
    • $25k Tesla
    • Semi;)
  • Upgrade to another EV
  • Go back to ICE
  • Any other factors that you would trade your car in?
I'm buying a different EV in all likelihood. TBD if I'll keep the model 3 as a second car or sell it.

Tesla isn't doing anything of note to address what I see as shortcomings of the car with their revisions and I think I'll be happier with something from a traditional luxury manufacturer. Most likely candidate currently is the new Audi, but we shall see.

Reactions: 1.21GW
Every car that I've ever owned left on the bed of a tow truck with the single exception of my Chevy Volt which left on a car carrier when I sent it to my sister. I assumed that with the 3 I would want to upgrade it sooner than that when they released a 500 mile version but that's no longer the plan. Because of their FSD policy I can't see trading in while the car still runs, I paid $6000 for FSD, now it's $10,000 and some time soon, maybe tomorrow or when ever the FSD beta is released (Elon said it would be today but is word is worthless when it comes to FSD) they will raise it to $14,000.
Range becomes less and less of an issue as they build more Superchargers, by the time they have a 500 mile 3 the Supercharger network will be so extensive that it won't matter. The only way that I replace my current 3 is if something radically different becomes available. I was enamored of the Aptera and I even put a $100 down on a reservation but in the last couple of days I learned that the legal implications of having only three wheels makes it impossible to own or use. Even though the Aptera looks like a car and they claim it will be as safe as a car from a legal point of view it's a motorcycle which means that a motorcycle license is required to drive it and that you have to wear a helmet even though it has a kevlar and carbon fiber roof so no Aptera for me. I expect to be driving my 3 for may years.

Not sure when I'd upgrade. I like a lot of what they've already done since my 2018, but I'd probably really take notice if they could get some of that sustained Plaid performance into the triple digits, on the 3. Should a revised M3P or even Plaid come out with that capability, plus a few other bits, I'd probably jump into that.

For now, I'm content, though. Great car, it gets updates, it has areas to improve, but overall, very few complaints.

I'm buying a different EV in all likelihood. TBD if I'll keep the model 3 as a second car or sell it.

Tesla isn't doing anything of note to address what I see as shortcomings of the car with their revisions and I think I'll be happier with something from a traditional luxury manufacturer. Most likely candidate currently is the new Audi, but we shall see.

whoops I forgot the thread asks "when". Probably at the end of the year.

For many of the early Model 3 owners, it is getting close to 3 years of ownership and If you are like me, you begin to think about “What’s next?” This is the first car I have owned that I am struggling to find something I would want more at this moment.

What would convince you to trade in your Model 3?
  • Upgrade to a new Model 3
    • Longer range
    • Better performance
    • Quieter cabin
    • Other features
  • Upgrade to another Tesla
    • Model S/X/Y
    • Cybertruck
    • Roadster
    • $25k Tesla
    • Semi;)
  • Upgrade to another EV
  • Go back to ICE
  • Any other factors that you would trade your car in?
I am 7 months in, rather than 3 years... but it's my intention to keep the car for 150,000 miles or more - which will be 10 - 15 years. The range is fine, performance is good, cabin is quiet enough and I can't imagine any features I'd be desperate for.

If the Roadster ever appears, I would be very tempted to have it as an additional vehicle.

I've had my car for almost 3 years now and estimate it won't be for another 2-3+ years before enough new features or a new interior comes out. That plus a much better suspension and quieter interior would make it upgradeworthy.

2019 SR+. Almost 2 years in. If I didn't do all the customizations I did I probably would have upgraded to a 2021 LR AWD. But since I did, I'm just gonna stick with my car for a few more years as it has had zero issues and is still amazing.

So many exciting new vehicles coming from Tesla in the next several years so it's hard to choose...

But I really want the Roadster. Would be the ultimate upgrade and a huge purchase, but will be possible with $TSLA ;)

I still love my 2018 P3D and plan to keep it for at least another 3-6 years. I am definitely never buying another ICE car, but I will definitely consider both Tesla and non-Tesla EV's in the future. In several years time, the fast charging network for non Teslas should be more plentiful and dependable. Plus, by that point, other manufacturers will have had more data on the reliability of their EV's.

I have to admit, even though I love my P3D for the performance, the physical design of the exterior of the Model 3 is not my favorite. If Tesla wants to stay competitive with other EV's, I believe they will have to redesign the exterior of the Model 3 and the Model Y. I think the Audi etron GT, the Porche Taycan, and the Hyuandai Ioniq 5 and Ioniq 6 are beautiful cars. Plus I heard that, much like Ford did in creating a "Mustang" branded EV, GM is working on a Corvette-branded line of EV's. So many new and awesome EV choices are on the horizon.

I’m 2 1/3 years in with my Model 3, and by now I’m usually always itching for a new car… “What’s next” like you said.
This is, truly, the first car I’ve ever owned where there is no “what’s next” …. I won’t buy another gas car ever — and there’s nothing I like any better. This is my fun little sedan.

Now, all that said … my son just turned 14. He’ll need a car in 3 years. Entirely possible this Model 3 is his first car. He’ll be on the leading edge of a generation that never drive a gasoline car.

So I’ve got at least 3 years before I start thinking about “what’s next” ……. But it won’t be gasoline powered, that much I know.

Honestly don’t see any reason to get rid of my 9/2018 LR AWD Model 3 anytime in the near future. Hopefully won’t be in any accidents before then. Had it X-Pelled, ceramic coated when I bought it and it looks like new pretty much, especially when washed! I took advantage of upgrading from EAP to FSD for $2K (so total spent $7K on those features) when they had that sale, so got my HW upgraded to 3.0 from 2.5 in the deal. Bought car before 7/1/19 so got grandfathered in on the Premium Connectivity. Car’s been great, still love it and love driving it.

We have a 2017 MS 75 AWD with ventilated seats, sun roof and recently had the MCU upgrade done on it, paid for the newer version. While I might sometimes miss the liftgate on it and thought about the Y, having both cars really gives us the flexibility of still having the bigger cargo area making a Y for that reason unnecessary. The range on my 2018 is pretty ideal (310) and we charge from home anyway when we can. I have found the Model 3 to be a pretty good fit for my use despite initial doubts when ordering and thinking maybe I wanted a MS instead. I quickly grew to love the differences the Model 3 had. I find the seats comfortable and the AC/heater system is way better IMO than our MS and quickly cools or heats the car. I would have loved to have the biodefence weapon HEPA filter though. Thought I’d miss ventilated seats which I see they brought back to the MS, but haven’t missed it in my car with the AC working so well.

Just added air to my tires this morning and apart from an AC filter replacement and condenser cleaning, haven’t needed to do anything else I can think of. So yeah pretty happy with the car.

Like I've said in other posts, I look at my purchase of my 2018 LR AWD as if I'd bought a 1964/65 Mustang. Besides the fact that I love my M3, I cannot equate it to the early Mustang, a car that is a classic no matter how you slice it...except that it's a ICE vehicle...no small thing these days. My point: As a ¾ centurion, I plan to keep my M3 as long as she'll be here for me. So far, so good. Only 18K after 2½ years with no problems and minimal maintenance (tire rotation & hepa filter change). While there are some new bells and whistles since 2018, I'm satisfied with what I have. Not interested in or worrying about FSD or even auto pilot. Just drive'n my M3 around town and down the road. Enjoy it like it's my first drive every day. ;)

I agree that purchasing FSD is a major factor preventing me from upgrading. They depreciate the software that isn’t even available yet.
Seriously, if they would just give you a credit on FSD on the plaid, I would probably trade up tomorrow but I’m not taking that stupid hit. Plus they raised the plaid price on top of that too since launch. Plaid is somewhat enticing to me. Model 3 size definitely more preferable and convenient though for me.

I have always kept cars until the wheels fall off, and that was the plan with both model 3's. But since I retired and the wife doesn't drive much, we are considering going down to one car, a Model X, solely for the air shocks, when the ones come out. (No FSD, but do have EAP on one 3.)