Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will you upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For many of the early Model 3 owners, it is getting close to 3 years of ownership and If you are like me, you begin to think about “What’s next?” This is the first car I have owned that I am struggling to find something I would want more at this moment.

What would convince you to trade in your Model 3?
  • Upgrade to a new Model 3
    • Longer range
    • Better performance
    • Quieter cabin
    • Other features
  • Upgrade to another Tesla
    • Model S/X/Y
    • Cybertruck
    • Roadster
    • $25k Tesla
    • Semi;)
  • Upgrade to another EV
  • Go back to ICE
  • Any other factors that you would trade your car in?

Reactions: Mr X
We have a 18' LR rear wheel drive M3 that we've had for 3 years as of 5 days from now. I find myself at times wanting to look for something new but then I realize I still love the car. There have been a few issues along the way which worry me with the warranty expiring next year. That's the only reason we'd get rid of it at this point, so this next 12 months will determine that. Getting a brand new M3 wouldn't be much better as not a whole lot has changed other than longer range....and some things have been removed such as lumbar, and free connectivity.

No plans to upgrade; hope this is my last new car for some time (now 3 years and 6 days old). I basically run my cars into the ground. Previous car was a 2000 BMW 323i so I had it 18 years. Before that I was driving my wife's '83 Camaro for a few years which ended up having some transmission issues and I sold it to a co-worker. Had a 1984 Mazda 626 LX for about 12 years, repairing it after a bad crash in Bremerton, WA during a snow storm and a blown engine from overheating. Concurrently owned a 1980 Mazda RX-7 GS for most of that time. Put an aftermarket turbo on it and blew the apex seals twice. Stored it for several years intending to repair it a second time but never did.

I will upgrade in 2 weeks
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

I'm 70. Ever since I turned 30, when I could finally afford to buy a new car instead of a used one, I've tried to keep each car for 10 years. There was one car that didn't quite make it, then there was one that lasted 18 years and was still a joy to drive when it burned up in a fire not of it's own making. Having said all that, I bought an M3LR last September and will also try to keep it for 10 years. By then I'll be 80 and treat myself to either a new Tesla or a new battery powered wheelchair.

I have a 2018 LR RWD and am upgrading to a MYLR. It's purely a utilitarian upgrade based on the fact that resale values are high right now and the only couple of things we'd really want would be fulfilled by the MY, namely, hatchback, more ground clearance, and AWD. If it was available when we bought in 2019, we would've got it instead of the M3.

Hopefully, I'll also be able to enjoy some of the build quality improvements (I've battled some rattles/squeaks/wind noise but spending lots of time hunting them down and sound deadening most of the car), the HW3 camera framerate improvements, and the more upright sitting position but those alone wouldn't be enough reason to upgrade.

I'll miss a few things like the included Homelink (could always purchase if needed, new apt. doesn't work w/ Homelink), ambient lighting in door pockets, lifetime premium connectivity, and the more agile ride but these aren't major things to me.

It's nothing close to as exciting as going from 11 years carless to a Model 3 because it is largely the same car with more functional improvements for our lifestyle. The only other car that we'd be excited about is the Rivian because it would best fit our hobbies(lots of remote hiking, skiing, etc.) but it would largely have the same limitations of other EVs as far as charging network, it's more expensive, and...it's still not actually available.

Reactions: 1.21GW
I normally would upgrade my ICE car right before or around 100k miles. That is when a lot of maintenance items come due - new tires, spark plugs, fluids, brakes, etc. - and the value of the vehicle drastically drops. With a Tesla none of those things exist or are changed (except tires) so the only reason to dump it would be to get a new one with new or different features IMO.

Reactions: 1.21GW
I'm 70. Ever since I turned 30, when I could finally afford to buy a new car instead of a used one, I've tried to keep each car for 10 years. There was one car that didn't quite make it, then there was one that lasted 18 years and was still a joy to drive when it burned up in a fire not of it's own making. Having said all that, I bought an M3LR last September and will also try to keep it for 10 years. By then I'll be 80 and treat myself to either a new Tesla or a new battery powered wheelchair.

Why not both with the Tesla Wheelchair? Give Elon a tweet and maybe... and just maybe he will make one, in Elon time, however long that is.