TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When Would I get it?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by SabrToothSqrl, Apr 25, 2018.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

... I own a Model S now, and my wife did a reservation on my account for a 3... 2 years ago.

Now... I think I want one. (Her's is freaking cool).

If I put in a reservation (today)... when would it be built/ready for me to pickup?

If I sell my S after I make the reservation, but before I can configure, does that change when I'd get it?

Thanks!

I don't want to trade in my S, the offer from car max was an insult...
    I plan to call Tesla, but I guess they aren't open yet. ugh!

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You already have a Model 3 from your ownership of a Model S, so your second Model 3 reservation would go to the end of the line.

3. SabrToothSqrl

I was under the impression you could get 2 Model 3s per S ownership..?

4. SoCalMom

SoCalMom Member

• Like x 1
  5. SabrToothSqrl

So, just got off the phone w/Tesla, and they stated it's 1:1... so they don't even seem to know/follow the rules?

I'm going to put down a reservation and see what happens I guess. I can always get it back, right?

"Can I use my Tesla owner priority on more than one Model 3 reservation?
    Yes. If you have owned one Tesla, you will receive priority for one Model 3 reservation. If you have owned two or more Teslas, you will receive priority for up to two Model 3 reservations."

I'm not finding any reference to refunding of the reservation $1,000 on the website...?

6. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Tesla states it’s 1:1, but that hasn’t always been enforced. To change out your current S with a 3 where you sell your S privately instead of taking the trade-in, I’d suggest:

- Put in a new $1,000 refundable deposit now
    - When the time comes to configure, you can get serious. This may come in a couple weeks, this may come in 18 months. I personally suspect sooner rather than later.
    - Configure your 3 placing the $2,500 non-refundable deposit, and place the S on the market. Hopefully the time table on the getting the 3 and selling the S would be relatively similar.

We’re all just guessing at the hueristics in the black box that is Tesla’s ordering system, but to me, this makes the most sense for how to proceed.

7. SabrToothSqrl

I agree w/your logic. I'm just also torn between a 3, and the realization that long term, I want a Y or X...

if the tax credit didn't exist, the problem is simplified. Wait for the Y, and if I don't like it, get a CPO X.

The timing is the problem for me. If I can get the tax credit, I think I'd like the 3. If not, see above...

8. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Long term, I’ll probably be in a Tesla pickup and reduce my personal fleet of vehicles by at least one. I’ve been babbling on and on about Tesla for 10 years, so when the config invite came I couldn’t resist and ordered even w/o the heated steering wheel, which I LOVE on my Nissan Leaf. The expiration of the tax credit had a little to do with me jumping in now instead of waiting for an updated cold weather package.

• Helpful x 1
  9. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

I've seen someone post up who had an S and took delivery of THREE Model 3's between Q4 2017 and Q1 2018. So YMMV.

10. SabrToothSqrl

I put down a reservation/deposit. Fingers Crossed.