Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Would New Features of MX Likely Make it to MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presuming (and I think it's a safe presumption) that there are some new features in the Model X that are not inherent to the form factor (e.g., around-view cameras, "enhanced" auto-pilot, cameras instead of mirrors), when is it likely that such feature would become available in Model S?

I tried searching for this, and I'm wondering if the transition from Roadster to MS was such a different beast that there really is no analog from which to extrapolate.

Seriously pondering a Tesla now, and holding off just to see what's in the MX in case it's irresistible, but I'm strongly leaning toward a sedan over a CUV. But I would't want to miss out on some killer tech... ;)

I know this is all conjecture, just wondering if more seasoned Tesla-watchers have already hashed this out.

This has been discussed in various threads. Everything you read will be conjecture. No one outside of Tesla knows.
In my opinion, if the X debuts new hardware options like 360 degree camera view (conjecture) it seems likely that the S will get that option at the same time or soon after.
It is important to remember that Tesla rolls out new unannounced features on its own impenetrable schedule. Don't wait just because you think the car will be better six months from now because that will always be the case and you will be waiting forever.

It makes all the sense for Tesla to keep the feature sets and technology of both cars (apart from the falcon wing doors) the same. It helps with inventory, supply chain management, as well as R&D. I'd say whatever new technology they add to the Model S or the X will show up in the other vehicle within months. It would not make sense for them to not do that and maintain more suppliers and parts than necessary.

I am not interested in the Model X but I am really excited for the Model S with the impending Model X release as I expect 360 view, Auto Pilot Sensor Suite Ver. 2, and some other niceties to reach the Model S from the Model X. Who knows we might even get advanced next generation cup holder technology from the Model X as well :)

I feel like I have to wait to place my order for an MS just to see what stuff is out. I think that the chances of some major hardware updates is much more likely with the release of the X than at almost any earlier time in Tesla's history.

It's a big enough investment that waiting perhaps as little as a month for the reveal (and maybe another month to see if these new features become options on the MS design studio) is just prudent.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I just need to figure out when the X details will be revealed.

I wonder if there's a thread on that?

I feel like I have to wait to place my order for an MS just to see what stuff is out. I think that the chances of some major hardware updates is much more likely with the release of the X than at almost any earlier time in Tesla's history.

It's a big enough investment that waiting perhaps as little as a month for the reveal (and maybe another month to see if these new features become options on the MS design studio) is just prudent.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I just need to figure out when the X details will be revealed.

I wonder if there's a thread on that?

Yup

Model X configuring in July 2015

Personally I only like to buy tech after a new reveal. Gives you as much time as possible to enjoy the tech without it becoming obsolete.

Therefore I would definitely recommend waiting until the New X Reveal. It will almost always be worth it.

Yup

Model X configuring in July 2015

Personally I only like to buy tech after a new reveal. Gives you as much time as possible to enjoy the tech without it becoming obsolete.

Therefore I would definitely recommend waiting until the New X Reveal. It will almost always be worth it.

Exactly how I see it. (And what I'm doing.)

What I am a little concerned about is the way that Tesla slips in material changes to the car without advance notice (e.g., LTE, new pano roof mechanism, etc.). I'm sure they wouldn't do that for anything you had to pay for (that is, I'm sure you'd know that you did or didn't pay for the new mirrorless camera setup), but being sure that your order would have the "new" autopilot sensors or something... not exactly sure how to tell such a thing. Since it's all conjecture at this point, I play the waiting game (which I am notoriously terrible at...)

It makes all the sense for Tesla to keep the feature sets and technology of both cars (apart from the falcon wing doors) the same. It helps with inventory, supply chain management, as well as R&D. I'd say whatever new technology they add to the Model S or the X will show up in the other vehicle within months. It would not make sense for them to not do that and maintain more suppliers and parts than necessary.
I am not interested in the Model X but I am really excited for the Model S with the impending Model X release as I expect 360 view, Auto Pilot Sensor Suite Ver. 2, and some other niceties to reach the Model S from the Model X. Who knows we might even get advanced next generation cup holder technology from the Model X as well :)

Whatever changes come with the release of the X (whenever that finally happens) people will expect most of updates to trickle down to the S eventually. This could kill sales of the S while people hold off waiting for the updated version. This is both a blessing and curse for Tesla. They do have 20,000+ X reservations to build, so a slow-down in S sales is just more capacity they can devote to catching up on X builds. At the same time if the factory is being upgraded to handle both at the same time and at the same reasonable build pace then there will be a significant drop to S shipments.

It's in their best interest to get the S up to speed with the new options as soon as possible to prevent a slowdown in sales.

Whatever changes come with the release of the X (whenever that finally happens) people will expect most of updates to trickle down to the S eventually. This could kill sales of the S while people hold off waiting for the updated version. This is both a blessing and curse for Tesla. They do have 20,000+ X reservations to build, so a slow-down in S sales is just more capacity they can devote to catching up on X builds. At the same time if the factory is being upgraded to handle both at the same time and at the same reasonable build pace then there will be a significant drop to S shipments.

It's in their best interest to get the S up to speed with the new options as soon as possible to prevent a slowdown in sales.

As I read it (and my reading was cursory), the second line they added can build S or X, while the first is S only, so I suspect there's no scenario in which S droops can help X production. There's a conceivable scenario in which S upsurge could hurt X production though...