Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you configured your Model 3, did you get Autopilot?

Did you get Autopilot with your Model 3 order (firm orders only)

• Yes I did

Votes: 57 57.6%
  • No I didn't

Votes: 42 42.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just wondering what the data shows. Not sure if someone has a super-duper spreadsheet...would love to see it if so.

But as a Model S owner, I love Autopilot and was surprised to hear so many model 3 owners say they weren't going to bother with it (either at all, or for now).

So the questions is simple...did you get autopilot? If you didn't, but intend to later, just answer no for now.

No.

My reasons:
  • only really expect to take 3-5 "longer" (more than 1 hour driving) trips a year;
  • my wife likes to drive (I don't) - she doesn't plan on ever using it if we get it
  • my daily drive won't benefit from it much;
  • usually the tuning on the new models isn't quite there for a few years;
  • software only feature, so can enable later for ~25% premium;
  • car is already expensive (for a car), so adding $6600 to the cost wasn't really there (for $2000, maybe).
Reservations:
  • Lack of TACC without EAP is a bummer, but livable (never had a car with TACC yet)

Two or three times a month I'm up and down the entirety of the 400 so for those 60kms I would love for the car to do it by itself (with adult supervision of course). So of course I bought it, a Tesla without EAP is not even worth looking at if I were looking to buy one used.

I didn't expect to enjoy EAP, but do. In heavy traffic, EAP takes the work out of driving. On the open road, EAP similarly takes over the work. All that said, it's possible that the base technology with TACC would give me nearly all of the features I'm enjoying and associating with EAP (perhaps mistakenly). I felt good about buying EAP and leaving FSD for a later purchase once it is released and then refined for a year or two. For context, 4,000 miles on Model 3, including ~2,200 miles on long trips with the remainder being Atlanta-based local interstate and local secondary road driving. EAP thus far has been of value to me. There are some bugs in it though, notably sudden slowing sometimes when going under a bridge in bright sunlight. The car will occasionally brake suddenly and then resume its normal speed under a second later. Beta offering.

I didn't get it initially but changed my mind and added it the next day. Mostly for FOMO - Autopilot is a big part of the Tesla mindshare and I wanted to experience that. Since having it I've used it on a few road trips and it has been fantastic. It also also been great a few times when I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic.

I got it on both of my Models S. It was only $3500 or something then though (both cars were AP1).

I agree that at $7k+ tax in its a tough decision...big reason for the thread Becuase at $3 or 4k its a no brainer. At $7k it's tough.
exactly my thinking. At 3 or 4...i would have skipped tires or a paint colour to ensure i got it. At $7,000 it's ridiculously steep. I think $7,000 would have made sense for EAP and FSD combined. I still hope to get it down the road though as a gift to myself. .

Reactions: dhrivnak
just wondering what the data shows. Not sure if someone has a super-duper spreadsheet...would love to see it if so.

Yes, there is a spreadsheet.
Click HERE for the spreadsheet.
Click HERE for a video that shows how you can filter and sort the data.
Click HERE for the Google form if you want to add your data.

Here is a screenshot from the 'Options and more' tab:

vJlQ7bp.png

Last edited: