TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When you configured your Model 3, did you get Autopilot?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sakimano, May 22, 2018.

?

Did you get Autopilot with your Model 3 order (firm orders only)

1. Yes I did

57 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. No I didn't

42 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

just wondering what the data shows. Not sure if someone has a super-duper spreadsheet...would love to see it if so.

But as a Model S owner, I love Autopilot and was surprised to hear so many model 3 owners say they weren't going to bother with it (either at all, or for now).

So the questions is simple...did you get autopilot? If you didn't, but intend to later, just answer no for now.

2. rdturner0

rdturner0 Member

No.

My reasons:
    • only really expect to take 3-5 "longer" (more than 1 hour driving) trips a year;
    • my wife likes to drive (I don't) - she doesn't plan on ever using it if we get it
    • my daily drive won't benefit from it much;
    • usually the tuning on the new models isn't quite there for a few years;
    • software only feature, so can enable later for ~25% premium;
    • car is already expensive (for a car), so adding $6600 to the cost wasn't really there (for $2000, maybe).
    Reservations:
    • Lack of TACC without EAP is a bummer, but livable (never had a car with TACC yet)

• Like x 2
  3. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

I did. It's one of the major reasons for me to get a Tesla. Otherwise, I would have just went with a different EV.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  4. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

I commute a lot and do road trips at least a few times a year. Now with the lowered cost, will go on road trips more often ;)

• Like x 1
  5. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

Boils down to cost. $7,500 (after tax) for it was just too much considering the overall cost of the vehicle. Would be approaching $84,000 for this car which is crazy. I do plan on getting it in a year or two.

• Like x 2
  6. Munch

Munch Member

No do not drive the highway enough to get enough value out of it.

7. Linamani

Linamani Member

We got it. Will make trips and commute easier. I use cruise control in my old car every day anyway.

8. ebatmobile

ebatmobile Member

Instant purchase. The DVP is hell and this will make it tolerable.

• Like x 4
  9. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

My budget told me that I can tick that if Ontario rebate exists. I am getting the Car by June 1, the rebate is almost firmed.

10. johndorian

johndorian Member

Two or three times a month I'm up and down the entirety of the 400 so for those 60kms I would love for the car to do it by itself (with adult supervision of course). So of course I bought it, a Tesla without EAP is not even worth looking at if I were looking to buy one used.

11. karpetkutter

karpetkutter Member

Balked at the price tag but had to get it

• Like x 1
  12. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

I didn't expect to enjoy EAP, but do. In heavy traffic, EAP takes the work out of driving. On the open road, EAP similarly takes over the work. All that said, it's possible that the base technology with TACC would give me nearly all of the features I'm enjoying and associating with EAP (perhaps mistakenly). I felt good about buying EAP and leaving FSD for a later purchase once it is released and then refined for a year or two. For context, 4,000 miles on Model 3, including ~2,200 miles on long trips with the remainder being Atlanta-based local interstate and local secondary road driving. EAP thus far has been of value to me. There are some bugs in it though, notably sudden slowing sometimes when going under a bridge in bright sunlight. The car will occasionally brake suddenly and then resume its normal speed under a second later. Beta offering.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

I got it on both of my Models S. It was only $3500 or something then though (both cars were AP1).

I agree that at $7k+ tax in its a tough decision...big reason for the thread Becuase at $3 or 4k its a no brainer. At $7k it's tough.

• Like x 1
  14. Osteolog

Osteolog Member

Nah. The price after tax is roughly what I paid for my current car 8 years ago, and there’s no way I’m getting that much utility out of a fancy cruise control that I still need to pay close attention to. Maybe in the future as it improves if they drop the price a bit.

• Like x 3
  15. frankholdem

frankholdem Member

I don't do enough highway driving to warrant getting it at the current price point. If it was around $1000 or $2000 then maybe would consider it.

• Like x 1
  16. papapodcasts

papapodcasts Member

I wanna drive this baby!! So no AP now, or later. Especially with that price tag

• Like x 1
  17. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Of course I bought it.

AP and the amazing 300+ mile range are the only reasons I bought a Model 3. Well I would have bought M3 even if it was only 200 mile range but not without AP

18. goto10

goto10 Member

I didn't get it initially but changed my mind and added it the next day. Mostly for FOMO - Autopilot is a big part of the Tesla mindshare and I wanted to experience that. Since having it I've used it on a few road trips and it has been fantastic. It also also been great a few times when I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic.

19. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

exactly my thinking. At 3 or 4...i would have skipped tires or a paint colour to ensure i got it. At $7,000 it's ridiculously steep. I think $7,000 would have made sense for EAP and FSD combined. I still hope to get it down the road though as a gift to myself. .

• Like x 1
  20. Troy

Troy Active Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Yes, there is a spreadsheet.
    Click HERE for the spreadsheet.
    Click HERE for a video that shows how you can filter and sort the data.
    Click HERE for the Google form if you want to add your data.

Here is a screenshot from the 'Options and more' tab:

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1