Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you engage AP (not NOAP), what do you normally do to stop the nagging to hold the steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
When AP is engaged, what do you usually do to stop the nagging to hold the steering wheel? I've seen videos where the driver holds the steering wheel just enough to not impact the car steering itself.

What do you normally do? I've been waiting to see the alert and then I press the right scroll button on the steering wheel. But I find that annoying as I have to keep checking the display to see when the alert comes up.

I'm curious to know what others do. Obviously I'm a noob as I have had my Tesla for just over a month now and haven't used AP a ton yet.

Lightly gripping the steering wheel with my left hand, just to the left of the bottom spoke of the steering wheel.

I also have this habit of gently wiggling the steering wheel every so often to make sure AP is still in control (picked that habit up back in the early days in 2015, after a couple of times when I thought AP was engaged when it really wasn't). When AP is engaged you will feel more resistance than when not.

Emphasis on the words "lightly" and "gently" above.

Bruce.

When AP is engaged, what do you usually do to stop the nagging to hold the steering wheel? I've seen videos where the driver holds the steering wheel just enough to not impact the car steering itself.

What do you normally do? I've been waiting to see the alert and then I press the right scroll button on the steering wheel. But I find that annoying as I have to keep checking the display to see when the alert comes up.

I'm curious to know what others do. Obviously I'm a noob as I have had my Tesla for just over a month now and haven't used AP a ton yet.

I have my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and shake it back and forth lightly every minute or so. A friend of mine does the same thing except he holds onto the left side of the steering wheel. it's the shake back and forth you need to do periodically.

Reactions: SilverGS
It's threads like this where people make the "nag" a bigger deal than it really is. I've seen the nag like 3 times the entire time I've owned the car.
I'm not making this a big deal contrary to what you may think. It was a simple question coming from someone who has not had the car for long. Please move on if you find this thread annoying.

I'm not making this a big deal contrary to what you may think. It was a simple question coming from someone who has not had the car for long. Please move on if you find this thread annoying.
The part that bothers many of us is when people look for ways to bypass the "nagging" of having to touch the wheel every so often. It's not Full Self Driving so dont treat it like that

The part that bothers many of us is when people look for ways to bypass the "nagging" of having to touch the wheel every so often. It's not Full Self Driving so dont treat it like that
I'm not trying to treat it like FSD or bypass the nagging either. I was simply trying to find out what others do as I had initially started to hold the steering wheel, but I was holding it too strongly and it would disengage. I got annoyed and stopped using AP. I actually prefer not using AP simply because I prefer to be in control.

I was curious about it enough to ask as I'm planning on a trip to NYC this weekend - its about 500 miles approximately from me (one way) and I thought this would be a good opportunity to perhaps learn how to use it properly and learn its limitations.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Please move on if you find this thread annoying

Agreed. Not sure why someone would post in a thread in which they're not interested. In addition, this thread is in no way asking how to 'bypass' any nag. Let's just stick to the OP's question. :confused:

It's a common question I get as well. Just how much force/pressure is just enough to satisfy the vehicle that you're there and paying attention... but not so much that you disengage Auto-Steer.

I perused another thread in which people are trying to "cheat the nag"... (disclaimer: I am vehemently opposed to cheating AP... I am always aware and ready to take over!)... and found something interesting. It appears that someone measured the rotational force at 11oz. Not sure if that helps, but it seems about right.

I agree with others here: I keep my left hand resting on my leg with a finger on the wheel for my own feedback (@bmah said it well), and that same finger can give just the right amount of 'force' to satisfy AP.

Agreed. Not sure why someone would post in a thread in which they're not interested. In addition, this thread is in no way asking how to 'bypass' any nag. Let's just stick to the OP's question. :confused:

It's a common question I get as well. Just how much force/pressure is just enough to satisfy the vehicle that you're there and paying attention... but not so much that you disengage Auto-Steer.

I perused another thread in which people are trying to "cheat the nag"... (disclaimer: I am vehemently opposed to cheating AP... I am always aware and ready to take over!)... and found something interesting. It appears that someone measured the rotational force at 11oz. Not sure if that helps, but it seems about right.

I agree with others here: I keep my left hand resting on my leg with a finger on the wheel for my own feedback (@bmah said it well), and that same finger can give just the right amount of 'force' to satisfy AP.
Thanks Brian for clearly understanding what I was asking about. :) I will try the finger on the left hand side of the wheel just as @bmah and others have suggested.

I hold the steering wheel with a light touch. Then I can take over at any time if need be.

I keep both hands on the steering wheel and anticipate what the car will do. If it does something unexpected I prevent the wheel from turning which aborts auto steer. Usually happens when the car tries to weave back and forth, like a drunk, when it loses sight of the lane lines at the crest of a steep hill.

I usually have a couple of fingers on the wheel applying gentle pressure. This has the side benefit of giving me some tactile feedback on any drastic movements the car is attempting to do

+1

I find the tactile feedback to be especially important. AP allows me to enjoy the scenery on long nights drives and by sensing the steering wheel movements with my hand I can tell when AP is having problems, like the lane lines becoming too faint to read.

I like to keep a full hand on the wheel at approx. 4 o'clock (i'm guessing as i'm not in my car) with my elbow resting on the center console, when the wheel adjusts to turn in the lane I loosen my grip slightly and let the wheel slide in my hand for a sec, when the car is not turning I grip the wheel just a hair higher and pull down to the right with a tiny bit of pressure, enough to let the wheel sensor know I'm hanging on, this all happens instinctively for me after using autopilot a while and I rarely get the nag warning along with having a full hand on the wheel to take over when the car makes an uncomfortable move.