Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you engage AP (not NOAP), what do you normally do to stop the nagging to hold the steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or the driver is heavy handed?

The nagging had decreased in the past month's release in my experience.

Actually I am honestly surprised to read about how many people drive with their hands not only on the wheel but applying force as well. I have my hands close but never touch the wheel unless it’s to clear a nag. I will also occasionally adjust the audio volume or change the following distance if I was thinking about it already.

I also have this habit of gently wiggling the steering wheel every so often to make sure AP is still in control (picked that habit up back in the early days in 2015, after a couple of times when I thought AP was engaged when it really wasn't).
Also useful, rainbow road easter-egg - very clear when AP disengages. I wish they would have a setting to use rainbow road as a default auto-steer indicator.

I'm on 2019.32 in a raven s, and while on NOA yesterday, I had my elbow on the door and fingers on the 9 o'clock position. This had worked on the 2016 p90d I just traded in. I got a nag, so I applied a little more downward force on the wheel. This had no effect. The notification said to wiggle the wheel, and that worked. Is this new to circumvent the use of static weights on the wheel?

• Informative
Reactions: rsg123
I'm on 2019.32 in a raven s, and while on NOA yesterday, I had my elbow on the door and fingers on the 9 o'clock position. This had worked on the 2016 p90d I just traded in. I got a nag, so I applied a little more downward force on the wheel. This had no effect. The notification said to wiggle the wheel, and that worked. Is this new to circumvent the use of static weights on the wheel?

Looks like I won’t be updating my software!

Ditto. Personally, I do not consider it an inconvenience, and I marvel at the folks who seem to go ballistic when they have to make this small effort. It isn't even effort, really.

Hold the steering wheel.

You are both misinterpreting my question.

It's not a question of "I don't want to do anything while AP is engaged". I'm looking for views of more experienced folks that have had a car like this for a while (unlike me).

And so many have provided their opinions. I good for now. I will keep practicing. Thanks!

It's not a question of "I don't want to do anything while AP is engaged". I'm looking for views of more experienced folks that have had a car like this for a while (unlike me).

And so many have provided their opinions. I good for now. I will keep practicing. Thanks!

I wasnt trying to be a smartass lol . I literally just rest my hand on the wheel. I DO NOT recommend bypassing this safety feature just in case AP misses something

Reactions: David29
Turn up the music.

did you catch this one? I often do this as well: pressing buttons on the steering wheel will also satisfy the nag.

• Informative
Reactions: David29

Hope the comments have helped.
One more small comment -- to me, one of the situations in which AP is most helpful is stop-and-go driving, as is common (where I live, anyway) during the commuting periods. AP just plain reduces effort and reduces stress in rush hours. And it seems to me that the "nags" are much less frequent at lower speeds. So when you need it most, in tedious slow-moving traffic, my experience (with AP1) is fewer nags. (I try to avoid them, as i described earlier, but sometimes take advantage of the hands-free potential to open a water bottle or something like that.)

Finally starting to enjoy using AP1 and learning its limitations! Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences. I basically rest my had on the left side bottom or wrap two fingers around the 9'0 clock position and apply some pressure.

Sometimes its a bit annoying when you come to an exit off the highway (and you're not exiting) and the car starts to go right instead of stay straight. I have found that if I tug a bit harder on the wheel to the left, it will stay straight, not sure if its that tug that does it or AP decided to go straight.

Can AP1 negogiate a roundaout? I don't have the guts to try that. :) I approached a roundabout a couple of nights ago and the car wouldn't slow down enough for me to feel comfortable, so I just disengaged it.

Finally starting to enjoy using AP1 and learning its limitations! Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences. I basically rest my had on the left side bottom or wrap two fingers around the 9'0 clock position and apply some pressure.

Sometimes its a bit annoying when you come to an exit off the highway (and you're not exiting) and the car starts to go right instead of stay straight. I have found that if I tug a bit harder on the wheel to the left, it will stay straight, not sure if its that tug that does it or AP decided to go straight.

In the early days of AP1 this "exit diving" was quite common...it's gotten much better since then. I don't think that any AP version takes into account the direction of torque on the steering wheel when figuring out how to steer.

Can AP1 negogiate a roundaout? I don't have the guts to try that. :) I approached a roundabout a couple of nights ago and the car wouldn't slow down enough for me to feel comfortable, so I just disengaged it.

I don't actually know because I never worked up the nerve to try that either! Kudos to you for heeding your feeling of discomfort and disengaging autopilot.

Bruce.