Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you have a service, do you get a courtesy car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the model s a few months ago and has a water leak in the boot. They have booked me in for a service to get it fixed but have not said how long it will take or if you get a courtesy car.

please help as they are now closed and my appointment is Monday

I bought the model s a few months ago and has a water leak in the boot. They have booked me in for a service to get it fixed but have not said how long it will take or if you get a courtesy car.

5-10 years ago it would be 95% yes.
Today you're luck if you get Uber vouchers.

We've gotten multiple loaners throughout ownership (even when we didn't need one). If they don't have any Tesla loaners available I get an ICE vehicle. I honestly think it depends on your SC and whether or not you're a lucky one. Even if it's a dirty loaner they've given me one.

Reactions: BulldogsRus

Just print out Elon's post from Tesla's Website and give it to them when you show up at the SC.

I'm sure they'll give you a Roadster... because "few experiences are more sublime than driving a beautiful electric sports car on a road along the ocean or through a forest with the top down on a summer day and hearing only the sounds of nature"... <wink wink>

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO April 26, 2013
  • Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
  • Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
Making Service Better Than Invisible

The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways. To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options.

Nor will this eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars. The Model S loaners will be available for immediate purchase at a price that is lower by $1 per mile driven. If you like the service loaner more than your other car, we will happily trade in your Model S and you may keep the loaner. This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed and gives customers the best optionality.

For an added bit of fun, customers in most markets will have the choice of taking home one of our Tesla Roadster sports cars when their car is in for service. Few experiences are more sublime than driving a beautiful electric sports car on a road along the ocean or through a forest with the top down on a summer day and hearing only the sounds of nature.

Valet Service

Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.​

Just print out Elon's post from Tesla's Website and give it to them when you show up at the SC.

Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO April 26, 2013
  • Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
  • Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
Making Service Better Than Invisible

The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways. To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options.

Nor will this eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars. The Model S loaners will be available for immediate purchase at a price that is lower by $1 per mile driven. If you like the service loaner more than your other car, we will happily trade in your Model S and you may keep the loaner. This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed and gives customers the best optionality.​

We were promised all P100D Model S (don't remember if it includes X or not) loaners and that never happened. I think at some point they were doing the valet service pick up & drop off (personally I've never had it done) and I don't think that lasted very long either...So I wouldn't rely on this A) because of its age and B) just because.

• Funny
I declined a their offer for a loaner when I took my car in for service for the first time to have the rear defroster fixed. I only live 1.5 miles from the Service Center and I have 3 other vehicles to drive. It took 12 days to get my car back.

The second time I took my car into service requires a drive unit swap and HV battery contactor replacement. I gladly took their S75D comp'd rental car through Enterprise. Unfortunately 20 minutes before I was to return the loaner, I got sideswiped by a red Mercedes; insurance is pending.

Yes every time in MA. Once an ice bc they were so busy but sc just reported bringing loaner fleet inside vs using enterprise

I've had a couple dozen service visits for our 3 cars and always an MS or MX loaner. I've noticed the quality of the loaners have gone down. I used to get less than a year old MS or MX P100D or P90Ds. Now, they are older (many pre-face-lift) and in far poorer condition, sometimes not even cleaned. I've been told more than once the loaners were trade-ins. I know for a fact, my prior MS (2017) is being used as a loaner ;-) I think Tesla is missing a big marketing opportunity here by providing no loaners in some areas of the country, and instead creating a negative news story.

We always get a loaner from our SC. When we bought our Model 3 in August 2018, there were a number of issues that took a while to address. I was polite, but firm in getting those issues addressed. I always ask for a loaner and get it- I wonder if I am flagged as a “problem customer”. LOL

• Funny