Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you have a service, do you get a courtesy car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, they are older (many pre-face-lift) and in far poorer condition, sometimes not even cleaned. I've been told more than once the loaners were trade-ins. I know for a fact, my prior MS (2017) is being used as a loaner ;-)

A filthy loaner is better than no loaner lol! I knew loaner vehicles were trade-ins but I thought they were in such bad condition that Tesla didn't plan on selling them so they get sent to the fleet of loaners....I've come to believe that Tesla doesn't care about the loaner cars because some of them could use some serious reconditioning. I don't know if this has been discussed before but I'm assuming that the badly beat on loaners go to auction.

I’m in a similar boat - have a early morning drop off at Tesla Watertown MA to sync my TPMs and replace a defective front sensor. I texted them asking your very question - if I’d get a loaner. Response attached.
7B3BB8E1-2ADB-403D-B425-E0076D6FA4A8.jpeg

tesla loaners are handled by Enterprise. I bet enterprise charges them atleast $100 a day atleast for the rental. so it could probably be costing them the same?

Go figure. That must be why loaners are always filthy. Enterprise doesn't give a crap about any of their cars and hand them out in any condition. The last 2 times my wife's 85D went in for service she got the SAME 2019 Ford Fusion Titanium both times and both times it was filthy....It did have the "Ready To Go" enterprise sticker thingy in the dashboard so I figured the non-Tesla loaners were from enterprise. I didn't know the Tesla S/X Loaners were from Enterprise as well.

in California i think the rule now is Uber credit unless the car needs more than 48 hours. I just took my car in today for yellowing border, and they said it wont be done till monday probably, so they gave me $500 in uber credit

At the Costa Mesa SC that’s not the case, They have always provided me a loaner. Also If you kindly ask you could also get an X.

Had to take the uber vouchers twice my car has been in service.

They never had loaners, but it didnt bother me.
My commutes are short, and i dont travel to different locations a lot like a soccer dad, so spending it all on uber select or uber black is good enough for me. :T

But on a different note, when i went to service my parents S600, the advisor asked me up front if i wanted a rental, and they would put me in an E class if i wanted.

I again opted out and got the uber vouchers, as i hate filling the tank up with gas when you return the car, and i hate the fact its not my car, and i have to be super careful about it.

I would of assumed Tesla would do the same to a P100D owner, but nope.
Best cars, Worst non existent service as noted by many.

Oh i goto the Centinela Service in West Los Angeles, as the Santa Monica Service department is pothole central, and i do not like driving there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus
No loaner option in Fairfax Virginia as well they said they will do Uber vouchers not sure how that works bec my commute is 40 miles one way. My car has 1700 miles and I got the death shudder. The text also said that I can get a loaner out of my own pocket or make other arrangements or cancel the appointment. This is some bull crap.

Reactions: Grant
No loaner option in Fairfax Virginia as well they said they will do Uber vouchers not sure how that works bec my commute is 40 miles one way. My car has 1700 miles and I got the death shudder. The text also said that I can get a loaner out of my own pocket or make other arrangements or cancel the appointment. This is some bull crap.

Seriously... show them Elon's Blog post regarding loaners. They still have it posted and no other post indicating otherwise... so that makes it valid. Would love to hear how they respond.

guessing it depends on demand. I've heard that the Northern VA area has massive demand for service. Here in small-ish Richmond Va, I overheard the tech saying they have capacity for more work, and suggested to a person who lives here part time and in Nova the other part of the time, to simply schedule their service in Richmond. I've had to schedule two appts recently. Each time there were appointments available within 48 hrs

• Informative
Reactions: Grant
I signed up specificly to give my two cents here. In my experience, the loaners are completely situational. With enough lead and communication you can secure a loaner. Within in my family we have the 3 X and I have the Y. I currently have an appointment today to have the heating issue fixed. Within the app you can reach out to the service team to ask questions etc.. I asked if I was going to be able to get a loaner. He told me they will give me an Uber voucher. Heres the key Don't be an ass (should go without saying. I reply that that's a very nice program for certain people. But my situation calls for a vehicle. Can we please figure out how we can secure a loaner. Gentlemen I was talking to told me he would get back to me towards the end of the day so he could see the vehicle list. Happens to be that they're giving me a loaner today. Now my sister has the 3. She was also experiencing a heating issue. She made an appointment but didn't want to wait for it. She just showed up dropped the car off and was surprised there wasn't a loaner for her. They did tell her they would call her and let her know if there was one available the next day..... I guess what I'm getting at is communication the ability to wait is key. Tesla's are not typical cars, they're not typical dealerships and they're not typical service teams. When you want to Tesla there's certain things you are giving up or have to deal with vs a standard car company. The loaner program is one of sometimes many irritating things. But I realized I don't own a car and I own a Tesla and I have to deal with it if I want the privilege of driving one of these things. #IMO

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210218-082044_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210218-082044_Tesla.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 45
Last two loaners I received were P model S locked in CHILL mode - Oh the agony!
What he said..........well almost. I've had my 2018 P100D in for minor service, mostly for door handles that operated like a teenager, only when they wanted to. They have always given me a loaner, P100D, P90D and X90D...........but ALL of them were locked in chill mode. But let me tell you folks, beats the hell out of hoofing it 20 miles back to my house or waiting all day at the SC.