Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you have a service, do you get a courtesy car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla loaners are handled by Enterprise. I bet enterprise charges them atleast $100 a day atleast for the rental. so it could probably be costing them the same?
This isn’t 100% accurate. Tesla has a fleet of loaners for each location. When they run out (think all our older used cars we trade) they sell them to enterprise and then they rent to us) fwiw Tesla only gets charged $65/day for a Tesla and they charge close to $100/day for one of their ICE vehicles.

What he said..........well almost. I've had my 2018 P100D in for minor service, mostly for door handles that operated like a teenager, only when they wanted to. They have always given me a loaner, P100D, P90D and X90D...........but ALL of them were locked in chill mode. But let me tell you folks, beats the hell out of hoofing it 20 miles back to my house or waiting all day at the SC.
the worst was when my car was in for mcu issues they gave me a brand new performance model Y. We’ve been wanting one and it’s on the list for later this year when my son get his license. I was so excited thinking I could really give it a good test in the snow and all over town. Until I realized it was locked in chill. I know the story behind why. Ask an adviser wheh you’re outside. They’ll tell you.

Sorry, could someone explain CHILL mode?
Is that what we called the Valet mode circa 2019?
I had the Model S for years.

Valet mode is still a thing and not quite chill mode. Valet mode does additional things like restrict glove box entry, max speed limit, etc.

Chill mode just affects the car's acceleration capabilities. In chill mode, acceleration is greatly reduced.

The last few times I've been to the SC when drooping off my car i mention how i live 2.5 hours away (each way) and they say it'll be done today so here's $200 uber credits to wander around Rancho. Or if they are unsure of how long it'll take they just uber me to the enterprise 3 miles away and get a loaner.

Got a Maserati once (piece of *sugar* car)
got a model X last time this one took a HV battery crap in my garage and the enterprise roadside service is so bad i cant even describe how bad without going to the whole story of the 17.5 hour ordeal. But i'll just say this i was told by enterprise roadside that since uber doesn't operate in my area that i should call 911 and ask for them to assist in getting me transportation.

Valet mode is still a thing and not quite chill mode. Valet mode does additional things like restrict glove box entry, max speed limit, etc.

Chill mode just affects the car's acceleration capabilities. In chill mode, acceleration is greatly reduced.
Sounds like another waste of software engineering work when they already had Valet?
Do they still add "Easter eggs" monthly? :)

I got a loaner in May 2020. I have a 2.5 hour drive each way. Made a point to request it in the order in the app. Also made my appt first thing in the morning, a couple weeks out. It was a P90D. I got to see how much more power it has over my S90D. I was really impressed with the passing speed power.

I got a loaner in May 2020. I have a 2.5 hour drive each way. Made a point to request it in the order in the app. Also made my appt first thing in the morning, a couple weeks out. It was a P90D. I got to see how much more power it has over my S90D. I was really impressed with the passing speed power.
There's NO reason for any Tesla owner to have to drive 2.5 hours to get to a SC.
It should be LAW that every showroom also offer service. Think all the other manufacturers offer service where they sell, or if not, within "walking" distance?
I feel for you.

There's NO reason for any Tesla owner to have to drive 2.5 hours to get to a SC.
It should be LAW that every showroom also offer service. Think all the other manufacturers offer service where they sell, or if not, within "walking" distance?
I feel for you.

Well I live in Michigan that has restricted Tesla from opening any service centers until last year. And then so far only one has opened. Not only that, but our “free market” republicans wanted to close the loophole and force Tesla to close again. Fortunately the bill didn’t pass. Before this, I had a 3.5 hour drive one way (if I would have had to go in to a SC).

I only had to go to the service center because the Tesla mobile service can’t replace a windshield. This is the first time in 3.6 years and 49k miles (at the time) to bring in the vehicle for anything. I hope one day Tesla will open up a location on my side of the state.

I knew when I bought the car in late 2016, where the closest service center is. And at that time, it was out of state.

I've been to the service center like 10 times (a lot I know) since Tesla ownership (approx 4 years and 3 different cars)
I've gotten a loaner everytime except most recent visit last month. Uber voucher experience was better than expected but I couldn't call a car for a couple hours due to my location and 60miles to the center. However, I didn't feel comfortable being in an Uber during a pandemic but the car and drivers were clean and followed protocols.

Somehow the voucher didn't apply and I got charged on my CC for the first trip home. I really didn't think I would see that money again but it showed up in the mail! Can you believe that a company that is driven by technology actually mails checks?! Send me the BTC damn it.

I got a loaner for every Service Center visit I've had so far. Each time came with a warning that "Enterprise might have run out of Teslas to loan out", but they managed to get me into a Model S 75D every time in the end. This was at the Berkeley, CA Service Center

It should be LAW that every showroom also offer service. Think all the other manufacturers offer service where they sell, or if not, within "walking" distance? I feel for you.

For me 2.5 hours each way is the closest SC. there is no closer showrooms either. But i live in the literal middle of the Mojave desert.

The palm springs SC is about the same distance as the one in Rancho but i don't like PS as there is nothing to do there all day while they work on my car.
At least with the rancho one i can use the uber credits to go to Tustin and wander around micro center all day if they don't give me the loaner.

When i lived in NC the closest SC was the Raleigh one and that was still about 1.5 hours each way.