Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you have a service, do you get a courtesy car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Highly location and situation dependent. There is no fast and firm answer.

This.

Santa Clara Service center (CA), in there a few times and have NEVER received a loaner. The last time when the MCU failed and after getting the run around a few times (and literally throwing my hands up) it was parked there and I drove another vehicle.

Never received Uber credits either.

Reno is hit-or-miss. If it's a scheduled appointment and going to take all day, then they offered when I inquired. Right now sitting there to fix a charge port issue - if they can do it in a few hours, no loaner offer otherwise.

This.

Santa Clara Service center (CA), in there a few times and have NEVER received a loaner. The last time when the MCU failed and after getting the run around a few times (and literally throwing my hands up) it was parked there and I drove another vehicle.

Never received Uber credits either.

Reno is hit-or-miss. If it's a scheduled appointment and going to take all day, then they offered when I inquired. Right now sitting there to fix a charge port issue - if they can do it in a few hours, no loaner offer otherwise.

Took our 2007 SC430 in a few weeks ago for an airbag recall. Received a new Lexus ES330 loaner with 9K miles on it. Never have to ask and never will with Lexus.

When I bought my P85D, they told me they are like Lexus and Infinity and I'll always get an actual Tesla loaner. Then they changed it to enterprise rentals but Tesla pays for the gas. Then it changed to uber credits.

This is one of the reasons why when I'm done with this Tesla, I'm back to regular luxury brands that have full service. Don't get me wrong. I love this car, but with massive decrease in service quality and they're not covering defective batteries under warranty unless they just plain 100% quit, I won't be buying another Tesla nor will I be buying another electric car for long distance commuting without a charging network as extensive and reliable as the Supercharger network. Maybe Tesla will open up their network to other brands in the future.

Had they kept the unlimited mileage battery DU warranty, original loaner policy, and not backed out of warranty repairs, I'd have been one of the first in line to put a deposit down on a Plaid+.

Took our 2007 SC430 in a few weeks ago for an airbag recall. Received a new Lexus ES330 loaner with 9K miles on it. Never have to ask and never will with Lexus.

When I bought my P85D, they told me they are like Lexus and Infinity and I'll always get an actual Tesla loaner. Then they changed it to enterprise rentals but Tesla pays for the gas. Then it changed to uber credits.

This is one of the reasons why when I'm done with this Tesla, I'm back to regular luxury brands that have full service. Don't get me wrong. I love this car, but with massive decrease in service quality and they're not covering defective batteries under warranty unless they just plain 100% quit, I won't be buying another Tesla nor will I be buying another electric car for long distance commuting without a charging network as extensive and reliable as the Supercharger network. Maybe Tesla will open up their network to other brands in the future.

Had they kept the unlimited mileage battery DU warranty, original loaner policy, and not backed out of warranty repairs, I'd have been one of the first in line to put a deposit down on a Plaid+.
Agreed, I’d be hard pressed to buy another Tesla today for high mileage applications. The unlimited mile battery / DU warranty was a huge factor for me.

Unless they can get the replacement cost down to something reasonable ($20k+ AND they keep the old core to recondition is bonkers insane), that’s not a risk I’m willing to take.

Reactions: sorka
Agreed, I’d be hard pressed to buy another Tesla today for high mileage applications. The unlimited mile battery / DU warranty was a huge factor for me.

Unless they can get the replacement cost down to something reasonable ($20k+ AND they keep the old core to recondition is bonkers insane), that’s not a risk I’m willing to take.

I do agree that the unlimited mileage warranty is nice. But with the current Model S/X, at least it’s 150k 8 year warranty. I won’t hit that amount with my vehicle. Especially since COVID reduced my miles greatly.

The Mach -E is 100k miles or 8 years.

13. What is the warranty on the Mustang Mach-E?

Our New Vehicle Limited Warranty will help give you peace of mind with the following:
Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: 8 years or 100,00 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period.7
Powertrain coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles7
Bumper to Bumper coverage: 3 years / 36,000 miles7
Safety Restraint System coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles7
Corrosion coverage (Perforation only): 5 years / unlimited miles7
Electric Vehicle Roadside Assistance Program: 5 years / 60,000 miles7”

I do agree that the unlimited mileage warranty is nice. But with the current Model S/X, at least it’s 150k 8 year warranty. I won’t hit that amount with my vehicle. Especially since COVID reduced my miles greatly.

I understand and agree that most people won't hit 150k in 8 years. I'll be close to double that. I'm certainly an outlier and I don't particularly expect that Tesla or others need my business, but given the observed longevity of EV batteries at this time, a $20k+ repair in year 5 isn't something I'm willing to gamble on. Either the price of refurbishment has to come down or the expected longevity and reliability needs to increase substantially.

I understand and agree that most people won't hit 150k in 8 years. I'll be close to double that. I'm certainly an outlier and I don't particularly expect that Tesla or others need my business, but given the observed longevity of EV batteries at this time, a $20k+ repair in year 5 isn't something I'm willing to gamble on. Either the price of refurbishment has to come down or the expected longevity and reliability needs to increase substantially.
good luck on both accounts

Let's see.... I do about 500 miles a week which is about more than the average and actually hit a bit north of 27,000 last year. Since I'm sitting in the car a lot, I get to do math pondering how much it would cost me to drive a vehicle getting 20 miles a gallon.

One gallon of gas runs $3-$3.50 a gallon and gets me going for 20 miles. I pull up about 240 miles and depending on the price per kW/h ($0.25 in CA or $0.125 in NV) not to mention it somewhat being free at the superchargers ... 45 kW at $0.125

Driving 240 miles would cost me $36 while the same drive using electricity is $5.625.

That means in a week, I'm saving $72 and multiplied by 52, it's about $3744 a year. It'll be more as we do take road trips (few hundred more miles off to places like Bryce Canyon, Vegas, Yosemite, etc.) as well.

To hit that $20,000 battery cost, would take me 5 years or so, for a battery cost to be an issue. If it lasts longer, I'm ahead.

But the biggest issue is the out-of-pocket cost for a Tesla Model S compared to something like a Lexus.

The biggest win for the Tesla while I'm sitting there playing with my mobile device, listening to Spotify and letting the car do the driving is just that - the autopilot. I can get sleepy and not die, I can pull into a supercharger to take a quick nap and I can have the vehicle handle the worst of traffic while my stress level drops to near 0.

When you're in the car for hours driving, sometimes it's not just about the math.

Let's see.... I do about 500 miles a week which is about more than the average and actually hit a bit north of 27,000 last year. Since I'm sitting in the car a lot, I get to do math pondering how much it would cost me to drive a vehicle getting 20 miles a gallon.

One gallon of gas runs $3-$3.50 a gallon and gets me going for 20 miles. I pull up about 240 miles and depending on the price per kW/h ($0.25 in CA or $0.125 in NV) not to mention it somewhat being free at the superchargers ... 45 kW at $0.125

Driving 240 miles would cost me $36 while the same drive using electricity is $5.625.

That means in a week, I'm saving $72 and multiplied by 52, it's about $3744 a year. It'll be more as we do take road trips (few hundred more miles off to places like Bryce Canyon, Vegas, Yosemite, etc.) as well.

To hit that $20,000 battery cost, would take me 5 years or so, for a battery cost to be an issue. If it lasts longer, I'm ahead.

But the biggest issue is the out-of-pocket cost for a Tesla Model S compared to something like a Lexus.

The biggest win for the Tesla while I'm sitting there playing with my mobile device, listening to Spotify and letting the car do the driving is just that - the autopilot. I can get sleepy and not die, I can pull into a supercharger to take a quick nap and I can have the vehicle handle the worst of traffic while my stress level drops to near 0.

When you're in the car for hours driving, sometimes it's not just about the math.

Interesting math. I’ve done a lot of the same calculations and your numbers are a little rosy for my scenario. I’d never even consider a long haul commuter that got 20mpg. My last car was a VW TDI that went 800 miles on a tank and never got below 40mpg.

Fully agree it’s not all about the numbers, else we’d all be commuting in Ford Fiestas.

I agree there’s a lot of value in autopilot although to be honest radar cruise and lane keep assistance available in almost any semi-decent car these days provides at least 90% of that same stress relief, maybe more (for example the radar cruise in our Chrysler Pacifica has never slammed on the brakes for no reason - I actually find myself trusting that system MORE to do the right thing and overall lower my stress).

Reactions: Greenms60 and Merle
Just dropped off my Tesla to have air suspension fixed. I got a loaner. The instrument panel is peeling off. The center screen does not work .No radio and no AC. But hey, I wont look a gift horse in the mouth. Beats paying for a rental. I'm out of warranty.

This is a very terrible tragedy, I sincerely sympathize with all those whose loved ones died in this car accident. All this happened because of the incompetence of the driver and the transport company that hired this driver. I very often order Transportation from Boston to New York, and after hearing this news, I will now carefully approach the choice of a transport company. Because I don't want to get into the same fatal incident. I really value my life and will not entrust it to some incompetent drivers who do not understand that they are responsible not only for their lives transporting people, but also for the lives of passengers. I advise everyone to carefully choose a transport company if you, like me, often order a taxi or a car to transport things. Take care of yourself and your loved ones

Last edited:
This is a very terrible tragedy, I sincerely sympathize with all those whose loved ones died in this car accident. All this happened because of the incompetence of the driver and the transport company that hired this driver. I very often order Transportation from Boston to New York, and after hearing this news, I will now carefully approach the choice of a transport company. Because I don't want to get into the same fatal incident. I really value my life and will not entrust it to some incompetent drivers who do not understand that they are responsible not only for their lives transporting people, but also for the lives of passengers. I advise everyone to carefully choose a transport company if you, like me, often order a taxi or a car to transport things. Take care of yourself and your loved ones

Where the hell did this come from?

Just print out Elon's post from Tesla's Website and give it to them when you show up at the SC.

I'm sure they'll give you a Roadster... because "few experiences are more sublime than driving a beautiful electric sports car on a road along the ocean or through a forest with the top down on a summer day and hearing only the sounds of nature"... <wink wink>

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program
Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO April 26, 2013​
  • Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
  • Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
Making Service Better Than Invisible
The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways. To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options.​
Nor will this eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars. The Model S loaners will be available for immediate purchase at a price that is lower by $1 per mile driven. If you like the service loaner more than your other car, we will happily trade in your Model S and you may keep the loaner. This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed and gives customers the best optionality.​
For an added bit of fun, customers in most markets will have the choice of taking home one of our Tesla Roadster sports cars when their car is in for service. Few experiences are more sublime than driving a beautiful electric sports car on a road along the ocean or through a forest with the top down on a summer day and hearing only the sounds of nature.​
Valet Service
Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.​
That situation was Elon affirmations and visualizations to himself.