Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you put your car into drive, how long does it take before you can put it in FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla Model Y in the FSD beta program.

When I first get in my car in the morning, after I put the car in drive it takes about 15 seconds before the full self driving visuals kick-in and I am able to engage FSD. It doesn't seem to matter how far I drive, if I just sit there it still takes about 15 seconds and if I start driving it still takes about 15 seconds.

I feel like it didn't used to take this long, I only noticed this after I did a factory reset on my car a few software updates ago. I am now on 2022.20.15 and it is still doing this.

How long does it take for your cars before you have an option to engage FSD?

I have a Tesla Model Y in the FSD beta program.

When I first get in my car in the morning, after I put the car in drive it takes about 15 seconds before the full self driving visuals kick-in and I am able to engage FSD. It doesn't seem to matter how far I drive, if I just sit there it still takes about 15 seconds and if I start driving it still takes about 15 seconds.

I feel like it didn't used to take this long, I only noticed this after I did a factory reset on my car a few software updates ago. I am now on 2022.20.15 and it is still doing this.

How long does it take for your cars before you have an option to engage FSD?

For me, it depends. Sometimes it is very quick. Sometimes it takes a few seconds. I did have one (rare) incident the other day, just after getting FSD Beta 10.69.2 where I tried to engage FSD Beta but I got the red band on the screen and a message about "GPS not being available". It took several minutes of driving before FSD Beta became available. But on my next drive, FSD beta came on very quickly.

Reactions: fiveten
It also seems to be based on when the car starts. For example, if I get into the car and press the brake pedal as if I'm getting ready to drive, the 15 or so seconds starts then. If I don't start driving, but instead fiddle with music, my phone, or finding a destination, then when I put it in reverse or drive, FSD Beta is immediately available.

Reactions: fiveten