TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

When your airbags go off...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by GasDoc, Sep 4, 2013.

1. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Here are pics of the fuse to reset:

The "Pyro" fuse is located on the fuse tray directly over the 12 volt battery in the upper right corner of the Frunk.

In these photos, it's the fuse with the blue square on it. The blue thing is supposed to pop up and you can reset it by pushing it back down.

At least that's what they told me at the service center. Note that the air intake and filter have been removed in this picture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378327143.174804.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378327159.657019.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378327173.690125.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378327191.440177.jpg

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

just don't touch the orange cable ;)

3. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

I'm confused. Do you mean after air bags deploy? In which case (like you experienced) resetting a fuse is probably the least of your worries. Or is this to reset the arming fuse in case of electrical fault? In which case the fuse you point out is not in the user area but the "service" access area and probably merits a system check if fuse blows without airbag deployment.

4. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

This is a way to restore power to the drivetrain and 12v battery after airbag deployment. In my accident the boron steel bumper support took the brunt of the impact and I was confident that my other systems were intact and functional.

Had I been able to restore power to the drive train by resetting the "pyro fuse", I actually would have been able to drive home from the accident, or at least move my car into a better position for towing and also keep the 12v battery from going dead.

If I had taken these steps, the tow truck driver wouldn't have damaged my battery and my car wouldn't have been totaled.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

How was the battery damaged by the tow truck?

6. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

After a while, my 12v battery died because it was isolated from the main battery. The accident was at night and the lights quickly drained the 12v.

The car was pointed into some bushes and the parking brake was engaged.

So the tow truck driver, over my objections, hooked onto the rear suspension and dragged the car onto the flatbed--he said it was totaled because the airbags had deployed. I had asked for "skates" (wheel casters) but he said that "nobody has those".

One of the tow hooks must have applied some leverage against the edge of the battery and deformed the rim that holds the bolts. Because the battery is a "non-serviceable item", the quote to repair the car included a new battery and pushed me into "total loss" territory.

If I were to do it again, and I really hope never to, I would chock the tires, put the car in jack/tow mode, turn off electronics and as much lighting as I safely could.

7. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

Sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing this information.

8. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Kennybobby, did you realize you were commenting on a thread that is more than a year old?

9. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

10. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Personally I am glad he did because I hadn't seen this information before and it is good information.