Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where’s the rumor train?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm betting on no hardware changes this year for X, they'll get new software and left to age with discontinuation in 2022 once Y and CyberTruck suck up all manufacturing capacity and demand craters.
I think you’re on to something, @MassPlay. I’ve been debating myself whether to re-up on a short term lease for a longer range battery, or hold out for the Cybertruck. Unless there is significant incentive to upgrade along with some new variants, I don’t see my self doing the former anytime soon, and I’m certain many others are in the same boat. X continues to feel like more and more of an afterthought as each month goes by.

I can't see them getting out of the large SUV market. None of the major market players have gotten out, nor have they attempted pick up trucks etc. I think the X will always have a place. And I mean those doors.....gorgeous. I agree with MXLRplus in that if they improved fit/finish/polish on the cars in general they would sell even more, as that seems to be the only complaint people can find....

I can't see them getting out of the large SUV market. None of the major market players have gotten out, nor have they attempted pick up trucks etc. I think the X will always have a place. And I mean those doors.....gorgeous. I agree with MXLRplus in that if they improved fit/finish/polish on the cars in general they would sell even more, as that seems to be the only complaint people can find....

Agree. The X fits many needs, 6-7 people, upscale, executive transportation, Uber Black, etc.. Think Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln large SUVs. Model Y is not going to fill those needs, and the CyberTruck is a truck first platform.

Reactions: X-pilot
Musk has publicly distanced himself from the Model X multiple times. He's called it a Faberge egg and referenced how much of a pain in the ass it has been. Based on that I doubt we see Tesla investing heavily in the current design. Maybe some small updates here and there a la Raven, but I doubt we see full scale refresh any time soon. We'd be much more likely to see a scaled-up version of the Model Y than a refreshed X IMO.

Reactions: VikH
Rumors.....

I’ll start one.

ESP computer interface to allow mind control of car functions. No longer need to hold steering wheel.

Glove compartment will contain a Aluminum Foil helmet to block mind waves for those who opt out.

Seriously guys... predicting Elon Musk is like trying to predict to a certainty a Tornado or Hurricane. Eventually you might figure a few things out BUT mostly you can only stand by and watch.

Best,

T

Reactions: X-pilot
Rumors.....

I’ll start one.

ESP computer interface to allow mind control of car functions. No longer need to hold steering wheel.

Glove compartment will contain a Aluminum Foil helmet to block mind waves for those who opt out.

Seriously guys... predicting Elon Musk is like trying to predict to a certainty a Tornado or Hurricane. Eventually you might figure a few things out BUT mostly you can only stand by and watch.

Best,

T

But, the Pres showed all you need is a mighty sharpie to define course of a Hurricane.

The automatic doors are the absolutely best thing about the X... Until Tesla adds them to the S, 3, Y, the X has something you can't get anywhere else... Their existence has been awesome during SIP as no one has to touch door handles to get in and out...

Jeff

If there are any major changes, it will likely be related to battery capacity, V3 supercharging and/or motor improvements - increasing range and decreasing charge times.

Anything other changes could be related more to increased manufacturing efficiency (such as building S and X on the same line) rather than new designs.

Will know more on "Battery day".
Imagine that S/X will continue to see continous improvements. Better battery packs, software, etc.
Next big thing will be the planned PLAID performance 3 motor performance package. Probably originally designed for the delayed New Coupe. Will continue the Flagship roles for the bigger cars.
These are the premium line for Tesla. More space and pace than the more economical 3/Y. While few "need" the bigger and more luxurious package, many still want and are willing to pay for it.

The beauty of the Y and the Utility of the X will make these asprirational vehicles for those willing to step up.The 3/y will still be the volume sellers, but the bigger cars have their charms as well.

S/X are the quietest, smoothest, most powerful and longest range Teslas you can buy. In the X you can tow up to 5,000 lbs, fit up to 7 comfortably and ride in style. There is some magic in those powered doors, the huge carrying capacity, the panorama front windshield and the standard air suspension for a smooth ride and variable ride height. Small details like the huge HEPA filter removes smelly diesel and stockyard smells when traveling, while adding an additional level of protection from pollen and dust.

They are pretty much cash cows for Tesla, with their development costs long ago amortized. They no longer need to carry such a premium price to provide cash flow for 3/Y development, as those can now financially stand on their own feet.

Understand that there are raving fans for the nimble and zippy Model 3/Y. They are fantastically fun and well priced, but for many the qualities and virtues of the larger cars make them a well earned award for those successful enough to afford them.