Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are all the Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a friend that lives in an affluent part of Malibu here in California and it seems like as you drive down their street it looks like this:

Tesla, Sports Car, Range Rover, Tesla, Sports Car, Range Rover, Tesla, Sports Car, Range Rover, etc

I never have range anxiety in Malibu =)

I make a trip down to Phoenix every week and always see between 1-5 Tesla's in the wild on a given day, along with the occasional Leaf. Have not seen many Bolt's around... And in Prescott, there are a few owners in town that I know personally, and a couple Leafs. Dont get me wrong, 99% of the cars I see are ICE, but the EV's are here if you look carefully.

I see hundreds of Teslas during my commute every week. Where are you looking, in an active volcano?
Every hour of driving you will see multiple Teslas around Silicon Valley.
Exampe: today, in the morning on the way to my favorite morning deli, I was followed by a Tesla. This afternoon, I was followed by a handful of Teslas going home, and I followed a couple of Teslas, too. Near the end of my drive, I was up in the mountains, and had to wait for a Tesla to pass by before I could get on the road. I saw a couple get off the freeway to the right (one 3 and one S), half a dozen in the left lane. I saw one around my work area. I definitely wasn't looking for them; that would have distracted me too much.

Now, however, I have read this full thread, and we noticed two trends: (1) Teslas are where people can afford to buy them, and (2) Teslas are in California, especially (3) in Malibu, Los Angeles area, and Silicon Valley area.

I'm excited to see if Model 3 moves down market, or just stays in the same areas as the Model S and X. For now, of course, it has to be the same places as Model S and X because it's only being sold to prior S and X owners, but soon, it should start going to new places, I hope.

Reactions: Falkirk
When we road trip to the southeast US, we rarely if ever see any Tesla's. You need to be in a relatively affluent area to see them regularly.

-Jim

I live in an area in the SE of the UK that is always in the lowest band of maps of deprivation, income etc. With about 100,000+ people here.
There are about 6 model S's and 1 model X ludicrous in the area.
Have seen another X but that was the summer, seen it once, so probably a tourist.

Just hope the Californians don't pull a prank on the OP when they find out when he's going there and deliberately park their Tesla's in garages and use public transport instead, so the OP ends up not seeing any Tesla's in the US.

Tesla enclaves in the US:

Bay Area California - ground zero
LA
South Florida
NYC and surrounding areas - though small compared to population size
Greater DC area

I'd bet 95% of Teslas are owned within these areas. The midwest, south and Texas are still deeply entrenched with Big Petroleum, and they generally hate electric vehicles.

LA
South Florida
Greater DC area

I'd bet 95% of Teslas are owned within these areas. The midwest, south and Texas are still deeply entrenched with Big Petroleum, and they generally hate electric vehicles.

That is a steaming pile of bull, I live in a conservative part of Wisconsin and the worst I hear about my car is people afraid charging is impractical, I get all kinds of thumbs up and other drivers taking pictures, usually the guy in the jacked up Jeep or the new Charger. Cost of living here is reasonable compared to CA and wages while good compared to cost of living are a LOT lower than the Tesla strongholds, $50K on a crewcab pickup or $70k on a Denali Yukon is common for folks here, but $75k+ for a car that can't tow the boat, the snowmobiles, the 4wheeler, the camper is not a choice most will make. Then there is the fact that those recreational toys are generally towed noth to areas with no superchargers so an X wouldn't solve the towing issue.

I have seen a LOT of growth of Tesla infrastructure here and seeing a lot more cars. I saw one locally the day before I bought mine this summer, since then two supercharger locations have opened within 30 minutes and I am seeing another Tesla probably every other week which isn't bad since I only put on 15-20miles a day and it isn't the same cars I am seeing, I am sure there is some overlap but based on colors and nose I am seeing a variety.

Given the cost of Teslas they are going to concentrate in places with high cost of living and therefore high wages.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
t
I live in an area in the SE of the UK that is always in the lowest band of maps of deprivation, income etc. With about 100,000+ people here.
There are about 6 model S's and 1 model X ludicrous in the area.
Have seen another X but that was the summer, seen it once, so probably a tourist.

Just hope the Californians don't pull a prank on the OP when they find out when he's going there and deliberately park their Tesla's in garages and use public transport instead, so the OP ends up not seeing any Tesla's in the US.
that would require public transportation

LA
South Florida
Greater DC area

Yep on the Bay Area.

On the last point, I recall one guy in Louisiana was having a hard time w/getting a Leaf there from both dealers and others:

Any Leaf Owners in Louisiana? - My Nissan Leaf Forum
Any Leaf Owners in Louisiana? - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum
Hard Questions - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum
coach81 said:
I think my biggest disadvantage is my location. NO ONE wants a LEAF here in South Louisiana... OIL IS KING!!! So dealers don't sell them, so they don't have any on the lot.. so there goes some of my negotiating leverage.
It looks like in the end, he ended up getting a Nissan Altima: Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now??? - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

Sorta on this note, when I recently looked on Plugshare (in trying to research an issue someone was having), Plugshare said there was only 1 CHAdeMO DC FC in the entire state of Louisiana. It wasn't at a Nissan dealer either.

Last edited:
Here's just an average day of driving around the Silicon Valley in my blue Model X, being followed by a blue Model S and a blue Model ☰.

IMG_6010.jpg

We'd be joined by a black Model X in a mile or so. You really can't swing a cat around here without hitting a Tesla. In fact, my parents have taken to doing a Tesla count on their walk to lunch every day.

I am from the UK and am currently making a road tour of the USA on business. I have so far driven 4,000 miles in the states and have not seen a single Tesla (and I have been looking!), which really amazes me in their homeland. I know they are very rare in the UK, but even there I saw two model X in the car park at Heathrow airport recently.

So how come no Teslas out of the thousands of cars I have seen on my travels in the states?

Is there a certain state where they are seen?

I live in Oregon and have seen exactly one Model S on the road. I've seen two in stores. No Xs.

Owning in north NJ may be about to get easier - today i was told by the Paramus (NJ) showroom staff that the long-promised (and mapped) Supercharger station for Hackensack will be going in soon "next to the Wa-Wa station". I got home and mapped two Wa-Wa's - one on So River Road in Hackensack, and one on Essex St, Lodi on the Hackensack border. This is a sly way of asking folk - can anyone confirm which, and when?

Also, anyone know anything about the long-promised (and mapped) Supercharger station for Parsippany NJ?

By the way, I added to the MX 100D population this morning.