Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are all the Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am from the UK and am currently making a road tour of the USA on business. I have so far driven 4,000 miles in the states and have not seen a single Tesla (and I have been looking!), which really amazes me in their homeland. I know they are very rare in the UK, but even there I saw two model X in the car park at Heathrow airport recently.

So how come no Teslas out of the thousands of cars I have seen on my travels in the states?

Is there a certain state where they are seen?

I am from the UK and am currently making a road tour of the USA on business. I have so far driven 4,000 miles in the states and have not seen a single Tesla (and I have been looking!), which really amazes me in their homeland. I know they are very rare in the UK, but even there I saw two model X in the car park at Heathrow airport recently.

So how come no Teslas out of the thousands of cars I have seen on my travels in the states?

Come on guys come clean. It’s all a hoax. They can’t design build produce or sell the cars.

Come to Southern California...it's extremely rare to go out and not see a Telsa.

highres_467249112.jpeg IMG_3420.JPG

Reactions: Acps110 and Ulmo
There are about 265 million cars registered in the US. Of those, around 175,000 of them are Teslas. The odds are quite low.

About 45% of those Tesla's are in CA.

And of California Teslas about half are in Greater Los Angeles and about a third in San Jose Bay Area.

Today I saw 2 Model S(other than my own) and 1 Model 3 driving for about 30 minutes in Los Angeles. And I was driving not scanning for Teslas.

Reactions: Ulmo and cwerdna
More Teslas than Camrys ...
Not quite, but yeah, there lots of Teslas in California. The joke is that the Model S is the "Stanford Camry".

Come to Silicon Valley. Maybe drive around the Apple campuses in Cupertino and Google in Mountain View, for instance. Many companies here provide EV charging at work, some free (like mine) and some not (e.g. Oracle, at last check). There are somewhere over a dozen Teslas of various models (at least 1 Roadster, many S, some X, and even at least 1 or 2 3) at my work.

I last drive down in the LA area in mid-June 2017. I actually didn't see that many BEVs on the road, Tesla or anything else.

There are some other strong EV markets such as the Seattle, WA area, around Portland, OR and around Atlanta, GA. A quick Google search turned up these old pages. These look about right: Atlanta Now #2 Market For Plug In Electric Vehicle Sales In US and Top EV Cities In US — 10 Charts.

OTOH, there are LARGE parts of the US which are weak EV markets and you'd be hard pressed to find any. And, in some places, due to state franchise laws, let's just say Tesla has obstacles to selling and/or servicing there.

Last edited:
I see at lest five MSs a day on my commute to/from work.
I sat two in the IKEA parking lot alone today.

Most of the Tesla vehicles I see on a daily basis are dusty/unwashed looking.

They’re just another car in most parts of California.

Reactions: Ulmo

I see hundreds of Teslas during my commute every week. Where are you looking, in an active volcano?

Go to downtown Palo Alto, and you'll more likely be run over by a Tesla than not see a dozen.

Drive California freeway 85 during non-blue-collar hours, and you will see half a dozen minimum, more likely closer to a dozen. (Blue collar hours are commuting in the dark, unnaturally.) Park in any nice place in San Francisco Peninsula, and expect to see one. You will see many Model S's, many Model 3's, and a handful of Model X's.

Drive up from Los Angeles up I-5 to CA-152 to US-101 to I-880 to Fremont, and you'll likely see a few truck carriers with full loads of Teslas on them.

Every hour of driving you will see multiple Teslas around Silicon Valley.

We have one here at Hanscom AFB in Massachusetts and I've only seen 2 or 3 others (one blue S I see every week or so) on my commute from New Hampshire. I'd look elsewhere for the time being. This will change this year as there were a LOT of people in line in front of AND behind me at the Natick MA store on 3/31/2016 waiting to reserve a Model 3.