TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Where are best places to charge between El Paso, TX and Casa Grande, AZ?

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by swegman, Jun 17, 2017.

1. swegman

swegman Member

#1 swegman, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    I am contemplating driving from the east coast to Phoenix, AZ around the end of August, beginning of September. Currently there is a supercharger gap on I-10 between El Paso, TX and Casa Grande, AZ. Can people familiar with this route please suggest the best (quickest) places to stop and charge my car, which is a 2013 P85. I don't know what the speed limits are along the road and what the elevations are. When charged to 100%, my car indicates a 256 mile range (I have never achieved this range). However, based on speed, elevation, wind, rain, etc, I normally plan for no more than a 210 mile range (I like to have a reserve just in case). I average about 343 Whr/mile. Thanks.

2. Medpilot

Medpilot Member

I was looking at that the other day and saw that it would take some careful planning. I have a house in Tucson that I would start at 100%. Then charge in Lordsburg on a 14-50'outlet for 8 hours at the campground. Then off to El Paso.

Tesla is supposed to have Superchargers along that route by the end of the year.

3. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Until the Supercharger Stations are completed on I-10 it might be best to go via I-40 even it is somewhat out of your way.

If you want to go I-10, the distance is 369 miles between the El Paso TX and Casa Grande AZ Supercharger Stations. You could charge overnight at the KOA in Lordsburg NM (150 miles from El Paso) to make that gap.The charging options are rather limited, as Medpilot mentioned.

FWIW.

4. azred

azred Member

There are only a million people in Tucson, which must explain why they have been forgotten by Tesla.:p I don't think there are any reports of activity on the two Supercharger sites that supposedly will connect Southeast Arizona to Texas in 2017, so I wouldn't count on taking that route anytime soon.

5. swegman

swegman Member

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that.

I don't count on I-10 being completed before the trip. When I bought the car in 2013, Tesla sales people assured me both I-10 and I-40 would be competed in 2014. Here we are in 2017 and there are still gaps on both routes. I've learned to take whatever Tesla says with a grain of salt, even though I am pro-Tesla and a stockholder. At the rate superchargers appear to being built, I do not expect Tesla to reach their stated goal of 1000 supercharging locations by the end of 2017. They have never come close to any of their stated goals in the prior years and 2017 looks no different.

6. ron8853

ron8853 Member

The Bamboo Terrace on SW side of Tucson if you're driving thru around meal time. Good food ...proprieter is Tesla owner. Kohl's department store on NW side, just off I-10. Large shopping center, lots of eating choices. It's Blink network, is free, but only operates during store hours.

7. Medpilot

Medpilot Member

I've used the chargers at Kohls before. I want to say I was only getting between 16-18mph. The Embassy Suites off of Skyline is great if you have twin chargers. I was getting 48mph the last time was there.

8. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

You can click on the map for yourself and check the amenities. The link is set for Texas - Arizona

Find Us | Tesla

9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

You're asking advice, but you're not being very helpful by not describing what capabilities to receive charge you have.

(1) Superchargers--obviously not an option
    (2) CHAdeMO--you haven't mentioned if the have the CHAdeMO adapter or not.
    (3) High amp AC--you haven't mentioned whether you have dual chargers or not

10. swegman

swegman Member

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Rocky, per your comment, I do own the CHAdeMO adapter, and the firmware in it was recently updated. I also have dual chargers, so I can charge at 80 Amps rates.

11. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

Dear Tesla,

There are so many of us who need a supercharger between Casa Grande and El Paso. We have been waiting patiently for this corridor to be completed. Pretty please with suger on top!

• Like x 2