Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are best places to charge between El Paso, TX and Casa Grande, AZ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
I am contemplating driving from the east coast to Phoenix, AZ around the end of August, beginning of September. Currently there is a supercharger gap on I-10 between El Paso, TX and Casa Grande, AZ. Can people familiar with this route please suggest the best (quickest) places to stop and charge my car, which is a 2013 P85. I don't know what the speed limits are along the road and what the elevations are. When charged to 100%, my car indicates a 256 mile range (I have never achieved this range). However, based on speed, elevation, wind, rain, etc, I normally plan for no more than a 210 mile range (I like to have a reserve just in case). I average about 343 Whr/mile. Thanks.

Last edited:
I was looking at that the other day and saw that it would take some careful planning. I have a house in Tucson that I would start at 100%. Then charge in Lordsburg on a 14-50'outlet for 8 hours at the campground. Then off to El Paso.

Tesla is supposed to have Superchargers along that route by the end of the year.

Until the Supercharger Stations are completed on I-10 it might be best to go via I-40 even it is somewhat out of your way.

If you want to go I-10, the distance is 369 miles between the El Paso TX and Casa Grande AZ Supercharger Stations. You could charge overnight at the KOA in Lordsburg NM (150 miles from El Paso) to make that gap.The charging options are rather limited, as Medpilot mentioned.

FWIW.

There are only a million people in Tucson, which must explain why they have been forgotten by Tesla.:p I don't think there are any reports of activity on the two Supercharger sites that supposedly will connect Southeast Arizona to Texas in 2017, so I wouldn't count on taking that route anytime soon.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that.

I don't count on I-10 being completed before the trip. When I bought the car in 2013, Tesla sales people assured me both I-10 and I-40 would be competed in 2014. Here we are in 2017 and there are still gaps on both routes. I've learned to take whatever Tesla says with a grain of salt, even though I am pro-Tesla and a stockholder. At the rate superchargers appear to being built, I do not expect Tesla to reach their stated goal of 1000 supercharging locations by the end of 2017. They have never come close to any of their stated goals in the prior years and 2017 looks no different.

The Bamboo Terrace on SW side of Tucson if you're driving thru around meal time. Good food ...proprieter is Tesla owner. Kohl's department store on NW side, just off I-10. Large shopping center, lots of eating choices. It's Blink network, is free, but only operates during store hours.

The Bamboo Terrace on SW side of Tucson if you're driving thru around meal time. Good food ...proprieter is Tesla owner. Kohl's department store on NW side, just off I-10. Large shopping center, lots of eating choices. It's Blink network, is free, but only operates during store hours.

I've used the chargers at Kohls before. I want to say I was only getting between 16-18mph. The Embassy Suites off of Skyline is great if you have twin chargers. I was getting 48mph the last time was there.

I am contemplating driving from the east coast to Phoenix, AZ around the end of August, beginning of September. Currently there is a supercharger gap on I-10 between El Paso, TX and Casa Grande, AZ. Can people familiar with this route please suggest the best (quickest) places to stop and charge my car, which is a 2013 P85. I don't know what the speed limits are along the road and what the elevations are. When charged to 100%, my car indicates a 256 mile range (I have never achieved this range). However, based on speed, elevation, wind, rain, etc, I normally plan for no more than a 210 mile range (I like to have a reserve just in case). I average about 343 Whr/mile. Thanks.
You're asking advice, but you're not being very helpful by not describing what capabilities to receive charge you have.

(1) Superchargers--obviously not an option
(2) CHAdeMO--you haven't mentioned if the have the CHAdeMO adapter or not.
(3) High amp AC--you haven't mentioned whether you have dual chargers or not

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Rocky, per your comment, I do own the CHAdeMO adapter, and the firmware in it was recently updated. I also have dual chargers, so I can charge at 80 Amps rates.

I am in AZ currently. Due to the hurricane, I decided not to drive to AZ on I-10, and went instead using I-40. Because of a gap between Little Rock, AK and Oklahoma City, OK on I-40, I drove I-40 from the DC area to Knoxville, TN and then drove up to Louisville KY. Then went to St. Louis and down through MO to Oklahoma City, where I got back on I-40.

Now trying to figure a return route on I-10. Tucson supercharger is not completed yet, leaving a big gap between Casa Grande AZ and El Paso, TX, and a second gap between Van Horn, TX and Ozona, TX. Any suggestions for the best charging locations between these two gaps, taking into account hotels that may have chargers for an overnite stay? Gilbert to Wilcox is only about 184 miles, so I would not want to sleep overnight in Wilcox (but do need a recommendation to charge). I also will need to charge (and possibly stay overnite) somewhere in the vicinity of Deming, TX. I don't think I could make it from Wilcox to the El Paso supercharger in my P85 car.

Thanks for any advice.

See Plugshare for a friendly RV park in Willcox, AZ. The iOS app is quite useful, fwiw.

Search for threads here for what people have done previously to get through West Texas - I recall a miltary doctor mentioning a private citizen's garage charging available - not sure if that's listed in Plugshare or not.

I share your pain as I've have business in Tucson as well as points much further east, and was told when I ordered my first Model S in 2014 that I-10 would be largely done if not completely done in 2015.

Good luck. Happily, should you attempt this trip in about 3 months, the AZ/NM SCs will be live - and that leaves Fort Stockton - not sure what's up there. There does seem to be a mistaken impression lurking about that completing West Texas is no big deal. Nothing could be further from the truth especially when one would like to avoid the hundreds of mile-detours, tornados, and black ice inherent with the alternatives.