Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are demo cars registered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks.

Does anyone know whether the demo cars used for test drives are typically registered to the local dealership or are they registered to Tesla UK at a national address?

When I say registered, I mean, if you were to look at the V5C, would the demo car come back to the local dealer, or be registered nationally.

I ask, as I went past a moble speed camera van on my test drive, and I was 35 in a 30, so expecting I may a get a ticket, which is fair enough and I'm happy to take points/pay fine, however the NIP (notice of intended prosecution) will go to the registered keeper, which would be Tesla, and must arrive within 14 days, but it could take weeks/months before I actually hear anything about it.

So I was just going to call my local dealer in a few days time and ask whether they had received anything, but if the cars aren't typically registered to the local dealer, then this would be pretty pointless.

It's purely about putting me out of my misery, and knowing whether I will be getting points/fine, or not, rather than stewing over it for potentially months.

Appreciate any input, if anyone knows the answer to my question.

Thanks, Tony.

If you phone the local dealer they'll tell you where the car was registered, so not entirely pointless.

However, given Tesla famed response times, you might get the NIP a year from now :)
That's a good point, I could just ask the dealer, all I want to know is if a NIP was received for the date/time I was out on my test drive.

If it passes six months then I'm safe, but I'm one of those, I'd rather be put out of my misery type of person, so would like to know now :)

If six months passes you are not safe. The police have six months to send the NIP to the registered keeper. Which is not you. The registered keeper have some time to nominate the driver. The police then have processing time to send the NIP to the driver. The six months only applies to the very first part.

Note this applies to all fleet cars and probably lease cars too. As long as you are not the registered keeper

That's a good point, I could just ask the dealer, all I want to know is if a NIP was received for the date/time I was out on my test drive.

If it passes six months then I'm safe, but I'm one of those, I'd rather be put out of my misery type of person, so would like to know now :)
I wouldn’t worry about it until you get the NIP. No need to call them etc.

Reactions: M1tch