Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are exhaust vents for cabin air?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious about where air pumped in from the hvac vents exits the vehicle. Clearly goes somewhere because the air pressure is not increasing. Some probably escapes from imperfect door seals.

But because windows open for something as slight as shutting a door (to allow air to escape) I have to imagine there are exhaust vents hidden in the car for when you have the HVAC on and windows shut.

All the cars have a vent in the truck, which is hidden inside the rear bumper cover.
The main purpose is to help air to exit when the air bags get deployed.

Great to know, thanks. But then I wonder why almost all cars these days crack the window a bit when you close the doors. My only guess is that even with these hidden flaps, the instant increased pressure of a closing door causes some discomfort to your ear drums from the slightly increased pressure?

Also, from the article, it seems like these flaps are simple dummy “pressure release valves” held in place by gravity. I wonder then how the Tesla bio defense mode and recirculation works in sealing the air in the cabin.

Great to know, thanks. But then I wonder why almost all cars these days crack the window a bit when you close the doors. My only guess is that even with these hidden flaps, the instant increased pressure of a closing door causes some discomfort to your ear drums from the slightly increased pressure?

Also, from the article, it seems like these flaps are simple dummy “pressure release valves” held in place by gravity. I wonder then how the Tesla bio defense mode and recirculation works in sealing the air in the cabin.

Tesla model 3s have frameless windows, so the window rolls down so that it isnt in the gasket thats on the car when you open the door. All cars with frameless windows do this. I dont know anything about increased ear pressure... only cars I have that roll the window down all the time when you open the door are ones with frameless windows.

Main.00_10_58_01.Still002.jpg

Here it is, right on the bottom corner of the bumper. There are directional flaps to let out air pressure.