Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the (300?) M3 Beta Prototypes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very much doubt they would be testing Model 3s under a Model S skin. People were saying all sorts of crazy things about "fake" body panels on the Model X when they were testing them on the Bay Area streets in 2015. Lots were under the impression that the final Model X would look very different from the shown prototypes and that was not the case. Only the interiors change significantly with Tesla.

That is not entirely accurate, either. The Model X that was seen in the mules (which was pretty much same as released) was actually quite different from the prototype of 2012 that was the public face of Model X until the release in late Q3 2015. The 2015 mules had different wheelbase, different falcon wings (in both size, shape and tech), different rear with adaptive spoiler, different greenhouse proportions, different bonnet and differently shaped sides compared to the 2012 prototype. Of course the nose was redone too, though it was masked the longest on the mules.

Where you are correct, though, is that a lot of people said Tesla would never drive such a lightly masked Model X production version in public and reveal most of the final design that way. But in fact that is exactly what Tesla did. In the end there were no fake body panels or such on most of the car, what was seen in Model X mules in early 2015 shipped as the final Model X in late 2015. The mules sported the final design with some small masking especially on the front and some missing parts depending on the mule.

So, if this is any guide, when those Model 3 mules are finally witnessed, they would be showing the final Model 3 production design. But of course Tesla may change strategies, who knows.

We should start seeing real beta Model 3s being driven around in the next few months. Keep your cameras and cell phones ready.

We started seeing Model X mules on the roads around 9 months before sales start. And of course it was more like 12-15 months before volume deliveries with Model X... I agree, if Model 3 is on time, we really should start seeing them around now.

Most of it is still manual labour though, even when they use robots they not really part of one whole assembly line.
@0:47

@1:27
Right - good point, the traditional pilot plants don't have assembly lines, just a bunch of cells. So if Tesla is using a beta version of the actual M3 assembly line, they may be able to make beta cars on a beta line faster than other automakers would make cars at a pilot plant. That's the difference I was alluding to.

I don't think we will see any additional mules before reveal 2 and even immediately afterwards. Model 3 has the potential to severely impact Model S sales so I think Tesla will be very careful - just my opinion of course. Have you ever wondered why we haven't seen the alpha prototypes out and about much other than during specific Tesla events. When EM wants us to see them next, we will be able to see.

I don't think we will see any additional mules before reveal 2 and even immediately afterwards. Model 3 has the potential to severely impact Model S sales so I think Tesla will be very careful - just my opinion of course. Have you ever wondered why we haven't seen the alpha prototypes out and about much other than during specific Tesla events. When EM wants us to see them next, we will be able to see.
I'm not sure that they're worried about any impact on Model S sales. Any immediate impact has already been felt, the only people that you'll influence now would be someone that will be in the market in a couple of years. More importantly though, people will buy the model S for a lot of different reasons. Yes, some of them only bought it because it was the only one available and would have bought a 3 instead. But the majority of people would probably have still gotten the S, there are a lot of other things to differentiate them and calling the 3 a smaller version of the S doesn't do either one of them justice.

We probably haven't seen much of the original prototypes because there is no reason for them to be out and about. They weren't the final design so there is no benefit to doing any testing with them. They were probably pretty much hand made so they may not be compatible with any of the final parts, and they probably had a somewhat limited life.

But... how will they test it?