TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Where are the Auto Windshield Wipers?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by BestRadar, Jan 26, 2017.

1. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

#1 BestRadar, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Where are the Auto Windshield Wipers and Auto High Beams? Shouldn't these be some of the easier projects to get done? Also, I have not really noticed any benefit from Adaptive Lighting. Is this working? On my other 2 cars when I make a turn you can clearly see the light moving towards the direction I am turning but I dont notice this on the Tesla?

2. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

At least on my S90D they are both there.

Auto wipers is on the stalk, two different sensitivity settings are the first rotations from OFF.

Auto High Beams is enabled in the Controls, and then the stalk must be pushed away from the wheel and remain in that position. When they are enabled the high beam indicator on the instrument panel has an A in the middle.

The above is documented in the manual.

Can't help you with adaptive lighting.

3. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible

• Funny x 1
  4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

The hardware is there. The software hasn't enabled them in AP2 cars yet.

• Informative x 1
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Tesla's implementation of adaptive lighting is a little different, and the graphics don't explain it well.

The high and low beams don't move on these cars; instead, a series of three additional LEDs on each side progressively illuminate as the wheel turns, or all together when the turn signal is on.

Bjorn has a nice video showing it that I'll try to add when I get to a computer.

• Informative x 1
  6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

Here's the video you mentioned:

• Like x 1
  7. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

#7 BestRadar, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Thanks.. The video helps explain the feature but it's a disappointment compared to the lighting I am used to. With both my other vehicles the lights actually move putting all light towards where you are going. These extra LED's only light up a small distance and would explain why I never noticed anything.

8. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

The issue isn't even the lack of movement part. Audi Matrix light and Mercedes new adaptive headlights operate in the same way with LEDs, but as you said Tesla simply seems to lack the LEDs with the distance at the right angle for taking corners at higher speeds.