Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the camera views?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am in a 20 LR M3 only AP and I look for the 360 view, don't see one...huh. I look for the front camera view, nope! My wife is very disappointed this car doesn't have either of those...her VW has them, a VW! This is a Tesla, with cameras everywhere and I don't have a front camera view or 360 view?

I cannot believe this car doesn't have that. Will the 21s have that? When will it have it? It should just be a SW update?

:oops:

Reactions: Callawayc7
So I am in a 20 LR M3 only AP and I look for the 360 view, don't see one...huh. I look for the front camera view, nope! My wife is very disappointed this car doesn't have either of those...her VW has them, a VW! This is a Tesla, with cameras everywhere and I don't have a front camera view or 360 view?

I cannot believe this car doesn't have that. Will the 21s have that? When will it have it? It should just be a SW update?

Will come in some form in the rewrite

Life is a trade off. There is plenty her VW doesn't have, that Tesla does and vise versa.

There is no car that offers everything all cars offer.

BMW btw have one of the most amazing multi camera views. You can quite literally look at the car and surroundings from (almost) any conceivable angle.

But with FSD (eventually) there should be no need for these camera views as the car will (hopefully) take care of every without human intervention or oversight.

If you're looking for a legit 360 overhead live parking view, that's physically impossible based on camera location.

It can kinda build a fake one stitching together things it saw previously, which the re-write might bring eventually- but there's all the front cameras are mounted near the top of the windshield- not down near the lower bumper as on the cars you're thinking of.

I'm assuming the software will have some calculation to shift the camera. Even with more traditional "birds eye" systems like I had on my Audi the mirror cameras were at a different height from the front and rear bumper cameras. Sure the mirrors are lower vs the Tesla roof / windshield cameras but the Audi system did a good job of adjustment for the height difference's. I'm sure it's the same kind of processing / AI.

I'm assuming the software will have some calculation to shift the camera. Even with more traditional "birds eye" systems like I had on my Audi the mirror cameras were at a different height from the front and rear bumper cameras. Sure the mirrors are lower vs the Tesla roof / windshield cameras but the Audi system did a good job of adjustment for the height difference's. I'm sure it's the same kind of processing / AI.

It's not an issue of processing.

The front cameras are physically incapable of seeing below the hood line.

Come out to your parked car- turn it on- the front cameras can not see what is in front of or around your front bumper close to the vehicle.

Depending on the angle when you approached the parking spot, it might have seen those areas before you got close to them, and could invent a fake "current" view based on stitching that data from the past together with the other spots the cameras CAN see right now, but that'd be the best you would get.

The front cameras are physically incapable of seeing below the hood line.

not an issue at all.

FD642B06-701A-43BC-8966-9B989B581243.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Knightshade
Well the thing is that softwarewise it should be an easy job. Why Elon doesnt do it is a mystery. Even 3d image clip virtualization like other cars have would be something. Our Peugeot e208 has it and it has only 2 cameras...
Probably because of liability issues in case someone thinks its live and hits someone?.... who knows...

Sure a bird's eye view is cool, but I just have the car park itself. Works perfect every time and I do a ton of parallel parking in the car at the beach.

Maybe there are just lots of features that might be offered, limited resources, and they are prioritizing / sequencing like happens with any other product. If you focus on one thing that’s missing you can always find something to complain about.