Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the door handles...? 😳

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had my black MY for 3 weeks, but every time I try to get into the car in a dark place at night, I find myself groping the side of the car for quite a while to find that perfectly level black handle on the black door... Grrr

Will I eventually develop muscle memory for where the handle is? It's so weird... if there isn't enough light around, trying to find that small exact spot to push on is quite a feat. Maybe Tesla should put some light in the frame of the handle that lights up when the phone key or key fob is detected...?

Reactions: Mad4sax
I have only had my black MY for 3 weeks, but every time I try to get into the car in a dark place at night, I find myself groping the side of the car for quite a while to find that perfectly level black handle on the black door... Grrr

Will I eventually develop muscle memory for where the handle is? It's so weird... if there isn't enough light around, trying to find that small exact spot to push on is quite a feat. Maybe Tesla should put some light in the frame of the handle that lights up when the phone key or key fob is detected...?
Why not use your phone for light?

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT

Maybe get some glow in the dark paint? :p

I haven’t had much problems but my car is blue and I don’t tend to have many situations where it’s totally dark. Beyond using your phone for a light, it you ‘start’ the car from the app does that turn on the lights? If it continues to be a problem you could also see if there are any aftermarket handle covers that increase visibility.

I like my model Y but I do find the handles frustrating - I get that they’re more aerodynamic, but they’re a bit difficult to use, especially if you have your hands full.

Reactions: Deutsch100
Same problem - Door handles are tough to find in the dark.

While we're on the subject, don't you think the door handles are overly complex? I mean, wouldn't a simple button on the outside, mounted flush, work better to 'pop' the door open?

While we're on the subject, don't you think the door handles are overly complex? I mean, wouldn't a simple button on the outside, mounted flush, work better to 'pop' the door open?
Possibly, but the door design would need to change. When I’ve tried to open a door just by pushing in on the handle (without pulling on the lever part that pops out,) the door unlatches and starts to open then the latch catches with the door ajar. You could put some sort of spring mechanism on it, but that would make the doors more difficult to close.

The Model X doors can be opened and closed automatically - I assume they have some pneumatics or other mechanicals to do so which ends up adding significant cost and complexity to the car.

Honestly, I think the best option would be to have more traditional door handles with a loop that you just grab with your hand. They’re easier to find, easier to grab, you can grab them with one finger and the action of pulling on them automatically opens the door.
Edit: The other advantage with ‘traditional’ door handles is they’re ambidextrous. The model Y’s handles can be opened with either hand but opening the driver’s side handles with your right hands is rather cumbersome.

Last edited:
Why not use your phone for light?
Ahm... because I bought a car that has an advertised feature that I can just walk up to it with my phone in my pocket/bag whatever and get in without having to fish out my phone...? This is an example of "oops, we didn't think that through". I had many cars, this is the first one I simply can't open in the dark... that's just dumb.

Maybe get some glow in the dark paint? :p

I haven’t had much problems but my car is blue and I don’t tend to have many situations where it’s totally dark. Beyond using your phone for a light, it you ‘start’ the car from the app does that turn on the lights? If it continues to be a problem you could also see if there are any aftermarket handle covers that increase visibility.

I like my model Y but I do find the handles frustrating - I get that they’re more aerodynamic, but they’re a bit difficult to use, especially if you have your hands full.
Well, what's the point of the phone key that is supposed to open the car without starting the app if I still have to find my phone and use it as a flashlight...?

The handles did take some time getting used to for me but once I did, I actually never had a problem with them in daylight... but in the dark, that's another story. I guess they haven't tested opening the black color MY/M3 with the phone key in the dark.

Yeah, the handles are the dumbed down economy version of the M3/MX handles that I guess work quite well, but with the mechanical push to expose the handle (which you still need, since you need something to grab to pull the door open) I think this is not an ideal solution.

When I’ve tried to open a door just by pushing in on the handle (without pulling on the lever part that pops out,) the door unlatches and starts to open then the latch catches with the door ajar.

That could be a safety feature...? If someone accidentally pushes the button, the door shouldn't be free to swing open. I think the user is required to actually push or pull the door (depending on the side) to fully release the latch.

The Model X doors can be opened and closed automatically - I assume they have some pneumatics or other mechanicals to do so which ends up adding significant cost and complexity to the car.

Honestly, I think the best option would be to have more traditional door handles with a loop that you just grab with your hand. They’re easier to find, easier to grab, you can grab them with one finger and the action of pulling on them automatically opens the door.
Edit: The other advantage with ‘traditional’ door handles is they’re ambidextrous. The model Y’s handles can be opened with either hand but opening the driver’s side handles with your right hands is rather cumbersome.
Yeah, I agree. But I have very little knowledge of aerodynamics and how much range this would cost.

I dont think they are the only option
I have been actually considering getting this... I would love to know how well they work if there is anyone here who has them.

I dont think they are the only option
$1000!!!! Yikes! No thanks. I'll just keep opening the door manually like a schmuck!

Reactions: ArtK
…Edit: The other advantage with ‘traditional’ door handles is they’re ambidextrous. The model Y’s handles can be opened with either hand but opening the driver’s side handles with your right hands is rather cumbersome.
I hadn’t noticed this until you said it, but I’m left handed and now I’m psyched that for once all you “righties” have to put up with something awkward in your daily life 😀

I hadn’t noticed this until you said it, but I’m left handed and now I’m psyched that for once all you “righties” have to put up with something awkward in your daily life 😀
I don't find it awkward. Actually, I always opened the driver side door of my other cars with my left hand as well - it happens to be in the right place :) If you want to open any car (driver side door) with your right hand, now that's truly awkward.