Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the door handles...? šŸ˜³

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't find it awkward. Actually, I always opened the driver side door of my other cars with my left hand as well - it happens to be in the right place :) If you want to open any car (driver side door) with your right hand, now that's truly awkward.
Itā€™s not awkward at all if you use the correct hand and your hands are empty. When opening the driverā€™s door, the natural action is to grab with your left hand. For the Tesla handle, that means pushing in with your left thumb then grabbing the lever with your fingers. A bit more complex than a traditional handle but still fairly natural.

If, however, you try to do it with the opposite hand or if you have anything in your left hand it instantly becomes very cumbersome and awkward. On a regular basis Iā€™ll come out of a store with my hands full and opening the door means a bunch of awkward fumbling or setting the bags down on the ground when I could easily open a traditional handle with one finger.

Reactions: Deutsch100
While we're on the subject, don't you think the door handles are overly complex? I mean, wouldn't a simple button on the outside, mounted flush, work better to 'pop' the door open?

@Hamrhead that's how the Mustang Mach E works. I have not tried it in person but have seen it in review videos on YouTube. While the MY/M3 handle may not be ideal, I think I still prefer it slightly.

The bigger issue is definitely the *inside* door handle on the two front doors. Friends that have not been in ours (or I guess any other) before tend to grab the emergency handle and pull it before we can notice. I wish that that handle was set up to also trigger the window to drop if possible [i.e. has power to do so], like the proper inside button does, before actually releasing the latch.

Itā€™s not awkward at all if you use the correct hand and your hands are empty. When opening the driverā€™s door, the natural action is to grab with your left hand. For the Tesla handle, that means pushing in with your left thumb then grabbing the lever with your fingers. A bit more complex than a traditional handle but still fairly natural.

If, however, you try to do it with the opposite hand or if you have anything in your left hand it instantly becomes very cumbersome and awkward. On a regular basis Iā€™ll come out of a store with my hands full and opening the door means a bunch of awkward fumbling or setting the bags down on the ground when I could easily open a traditional handle with one finger.
Yeah, not the best design.

I just saw these on RPM Tesla - looks like they might come in different colors so it may help make things more visible for the OP.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Reactions: Deutsch100
Maybe something like this

I hadn't seen these before. Anyone used them?

Great thread, really glad I got a white MY. My wife would never stop complaining about the handle in the dark.

And I'll be training myself to get my phone out early if I have my hands full of bags, so I can pop the trunk as I get back to the car.

I bet there's a clear reflective film that could be used as a handle wrap, or at least a small dot, that would catch any ambient light, even in the dark. Unless you're truly out in the woods, there's always some light around (if you can find the car, there's some light) and even just a slight reflection on a corner will show you where the handle is.

Where is this so dark place are we talking about that you canā€™t see handle? Dark side of the moon? šŸ˜‚ Light is everywhere this days even little moon light is more than enough to see them. Pitch black darkness is hard to come by.
The only encounter right can think of is a parking garage with no lighting. And if that is the case, you probably can see where youā€™re walking anyway and need the light from your phone. Seems like a non-issue.

Reactions: WhiteWi
The bigger issue is definitely the *inside* door handle on the two front doors. Friends that have not been in ours (or I guess any other) before tend to grab the emergency handle and pull it before we can notice. I wish that that handle was set up to also trigger the window to drop if possible [i.e. has power to do so], like the proper inside button does, before actually releasing the latch.
I've been caught in that trap a couple of times - once ripping some of the rubber sealer off on the top of the door. I make a note to tell all new riders how to open the door. I do think Tesla could implement a 'window drop' as the emergency handle is pulled.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Where is this so dark place are we talking about that you canā€™t see handle? Dark side of the moon? šŸ˜‚ Light is everywhere this days even little moon light is more than enough to see them. Pitch black darkness is hard to come by.
It doesn't need to be pitch black for this to be an issue. The human eye adjusts to low light much slower than it does to bright light. Even if you are in an area with light that's enough for you to see things around you, if you approach your black car that happens to be in the shadow with no direct light, you look at the car, and all you will see is uniform blackness for quite a while - until your eyes adjust to the lower light level. And I also have a problem finding the handles if the car is parked at night in front of my own house. I have a porch light on the other side of the car which shines directly into my eyes as I approach the car so the side of the car appears pitch black as my eyes are tuned to the illumination level of the porch light.

That would be less of a problem with a traditional handle, because those stick out and there would be light hitting the handle from different directions (moon, street lights, etc.) but the side of the car and the door handle on a black MY blend together quite well, both in shape and color, hence the problem.

Searching around for the handle in the dark ā€” makes me worried about all of the little scratches that would accumulate from that (Tesla clearcoat is amazing soft šŸ¤¬).

How about this: can you fire up the Tesla app and choose Start? That should turn on some lights which might make it slightly easier to spot the handle.

Searching around for the handle in the dark ā€” makes me worried about all of the little scratches that would accumulate from that (Tesla clearcoat is amazing soft šŸ¤¬).

How about this: can you fire up the Tesla app and choose Start? That should turn on some lights which might make it slightly easier to spot the handle.
Start...? I see it in the app but never used it. What does it do? I don't think it would start the engine šŸ˜‚

• Funny
Reactions: Johnny Vector