Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the high mileage Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoRey

Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner
Feb 15, 2016
Anaheim, CA
I have been searching the market for a high mileage Tesla to purchase and have only come across two with 180k. By my calculations there should be at least one person with 400,000+ miles, a couple with 300,000 miles and lots with 200,000 miles. Obviously this makes sense when you consider that of these cars still have the 8 year drive unit and battery warranty that is not set to expire until 2020, even more so when you consider unlimited superchargers. Which brings me to my next question. For those who have a Tesla with 200000+ miles how many issues have you had with the car. Beyond known issues with the door handles, main screens and rattles.

My mind boggles at people who drive 100,000 miles per year if it is not a taxi. At 50 mph, that's 2000 hours in the car. At highway speeds that's 1350 hours in the car. 27 hours a week at highway speeds. (assuming a couple weeks of vacation)

400000+ miles means somebody bought an early car and drove it like that. That's pre-auto pilot. Outside of commercial uses, I just wouldn't expect it.

Check the taxi thread. :)

My mind boggles at people who drive 100,000 miles per year if it is not a taxi. At 50 mph, that's 2000 hours in the car. At highway speeds that's 1350 hours in the car. 27 hours a week at highway speeds. (assuming a couple weeks of vacation)

400000+ miles means somebody bought an early car and drove it like that. That's pre-auto pilot. Outside of commercial uses, I just wouldn't expect it.

Check the taxi thread. :)
There is this guy in the Volt circle that has a 2012 Volt that has over 400000 he works for GM and when the factory moved he just drove to the nearest factory. He commutes something like 200 miles a day. I have decided that I want a 2014 Autopilot Tesla instead of the Model 3, I have to have a hatch and the free supercharging clinches it.

I do 40k/year and fully intend to keep the car for the duration of the 8 year warranty.

Just about to hit 50k after 16 months. Gonna bring it in one last time to get some minor issues fixed before the warranty expires (extended warranty doesn’t really make financial sense at the rate I accumulate miles).

Solid so far, no major issues. I’m at about 9% reported battery degradation already, but it seems to be holding steady there for now (75kwh rwd).

Reactions: JoRey
I do 40k/year and fully intend to keep the car for the duration of the 8 year warranty.

Just about to hit 50k after 16 months. Gonna bring it in one last time to get some minor issues fixed before the warranty expires (extended warranty doesn’t really make financial sense at the rate I accumulate miles).

Solid so far, no major issues. I’m at about 9% reported battery degradation already, but it seems to be holding steady there for now (75kwh rwd).
Lots of users have reported being able to recover some capacity after cycling the pack.

A few years ago Tesla sent an official email explaining that the range estimate show can be a little off when the car is charged and discharged partially for a while. A full cycle (discharging to near empty and charging to 100%) would recalibrate the system. It's not balancing, it's a calibration issue because the capacity can't be measured directly. They only way to accurately measure the capacity of a battery is to fully charge and discharge t and see how much energy you put in or how much came out in a full (or near to full) cycle.

Again, that was more than 2 years ago. I'm sure Tesla has optimized their software and it's far less of an issue today than it used to be.

To add another data point. My car has 160k miles and is 4 years old. I lost 9% battery capacity. That's about what an average car does in 9-10 years. I think the batteries are holding up pretty good.

A few years ago Tesla sent an official email explaining that the range estimate show can be a little off when the car is charged and discharged partially for a while. A full cycle (discharging to near empty and charging to 100%) would recalibrate the system. It's not balancing, it's a calibration issue because the capacity can't be measured directly. They only way to accurately measure the capacity of a battery is to fully charge and discharge t and see how much energy you put in or how much came out in a full (or near to full) cycle.

Again, that was more than 2 years ago. I'm sure Tesla has optimized their software and it's far less of an issue today than it used to be.

To add another data point. My car has 160k miles and is 4 years old. I lost 9% battery capacity. That's about what an average car does in 9-10 years. I think the batteries are holding up pretty good.
Yes, I remember that. Apparently the car run out of range early due to the ageing chemistry in the pack. Teslaloop got a new pack due to this very issue. I imagine that Tesla wanted to know how the pack was holding up.

I just purchased a 2015 70D with over 400k on it. The previous owner used it for Uber.
I'm actually really amazed how nice of shape it's in considering how much use it's had... Only a few small cosmetic things I plan to take care of, and maybe change the oil in the gearboxes since I'm not sure if/when they've been changed...

Attachments

• IMG_4410.jpg
    IMG_4410.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 153
I just purchased a 2015 70D with over 400k on it. The previous owner used it for Uber.
I'm actually really amazed how nice of shape it's in considering how much use it's had... Only a few small cosmetic things I plan to take care of, and maybe change the oil in the gearboxes since I'm not sure if/when they've been changed...
has the battery been replaced?
What’s the displayed range when charging to 100%?

110,000 now, still no major issues.

100% charge has held steady for quite some time around 220 miles, ~12% degradation.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16

Curious since this is going to apply to me as well, second year into ownership, but approaching 50k miles. Whhen you say bring it in for some issues, are they issues that you're currently dealing with? Or you plan on having a conversation with Service Center to replace parts before it fails?

Curious since this is going to apply to me as well, second year into ownership, but approaching 50k miles. Whhen you say bring it in for some issues, are they issues that you're currently dealing with? Or you plan on having a conversation with Service Center to replace parts before it fails?
This was two years ago, but I had a couple small things I’d been putting off - burned out DRL, yellowing MCU screen, etc. So I had them done all in one visit and also had the HEPA filter replaced, year 2 service (back when that was a thing), etc.

This was two years ago, but I had a couple small things I’d been putting off - burned out DRL, yellowing MCU screen, etc. So I had them done all in one visit and also had the HEPA filter replaced, year 2 service (back when that was a thing), etc.

Ah okay, you're a bit more patient than I am. When I had my many headlights with DRL burn outs, I always went in as soon as they're able to take me.

Apparently I'm lagging - that VIN is within 350 of mine, and I'm only approaching the 60k threshold!

Reactions: ajbessinger
Here is one with 800.000km / ~497.000 miles from Tesla Owners Finland.
(not my picture so I edited the text and name away)

Apparently 3rd battery in use and yes, it is a taxi.

View attachment 585720
Half a million miles (with the easy 8km = 5mi formula), that's awesome. Up there in older Mercedes diesel (exhaust = yuck, acceleration = nearly nonexistent, durability = damn near bulletproof) territory.
And that's with winter conditions about 8 months out of the year.