Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the Model 3 owner videos?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think not only are the first 30 owners under NDAs, but I think many thousands of the first employee owners will be under NDAs. Tesla's stated purpose of delivering the first cars to employees was to have a short feedback cycle and they could address problems quickly. But what Tesla didn't say is that they can also control the PR around those problems. Tesla wouldn't be able to make a private citizen sign an NDA when they took delivery of the car, so it had to be employees first. This way, the general public will probably never find out about what issue arose from the first couple thousand cars and what Tesla needed to do to fix it.

This release has been beyond annoying as a fan of the company and investor. Everything is so secretive up to employees yelling at people while trying to see the inside of a damn trunk!!

Quit all the secrecy already and you have either produced a functioning car or you havent.

Everything is so piece mailed and under this cloak of secrecy. Get over yourself Tesla. God forbid a new car has some kinks to work out.

• Disagree
Reactions: Footbag
I think not only are the first 30 owners under NDAs, but I think many thousands of the first employee owners will be under NDAs. Tesla's stated purpose of delivering the first cars to employees was to have a short feedback cycle and they could address problems quickly. But what Tesla didn't say is that they can also control the PR around those problems. Tesla wouldn't be able to make a private citizen sign an NDA when they took delivery of the car, so it had to be employees first. This way, the general public will probably never find out about what issue arose from the first couple thousand cars and what Tesla needed to do to fix it.

That's what bothers me. No one imposed a deadline for the first Model 3 deliveries except Tesla itself (and likely was solely Elon's decision). Elon kept broadcasting a "2nd half of 2017" timeframe for the first Model 3 deliveries. Then he decided that July 2017 would be the month for first "deliveries", even though many members on here can agree it was a glorified event for delivery of pre-production test vehicles to employees. Elon even admitted as much when he said 50 were built in July, with the unclaimed 20 being for "validation and testing". What do you think the first 30 that went to employees are being used for?

What Tesla did is pretty much what GM did with the Bolt....with the huge difference being GM didn't count the dozens of pre-production testing vehicles driven by employees as actual deliveries to meet a self-imposed deadline, and make a huge event out of it.
Why couldn't Tesla just go ahead with the testing phase, produce the "validation and testing" fleet and perform the testing on the DL, and save all the hoopla for later this year when they had that valuable data from the validation and testing vehicles that was then applied to the truly finished vehicles?

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and Runt8
@bro1999 - because GM didn't have 400k reservations and billions of capital investments at risk. Proof in concept on product. The Beta phase clearly is needed hence the employee sales and any service needed or internal 'lemon' reporting too despite real purchases. That's why even Tesla owners have a range for the first production runs to give Tesla a break-in period with the real beta testing with the employees and shakeout of the production line.

I fully anticipate a slow ramp up for remainder of 2017 and no real deliveries of the $35,000 well into 1st qtr.; that 5000/week by end of 2017 is a lofty and very ambitious goal.

Edit - it still doesn't excuse why Tesla or any surrogate doesn't do a simple walk around of the finished product to give details of what is included and not included and simple dimensions people want --

eg:
trunk dimensions -- all of them. not 'lie flat bed' potential talk
Standard features -- and all PUP features -- clarifications on things like Cruise control, homelink, and heated steering wheels and seats manual or not in standard. --- simple answers to simple questions.....not looking at Fit/Finish things/issues

Last edited:
There won't be any until the product ships. Having employees alpha test your product doesn't count as shipped. You won't see any owner reviews from employees due to public posting policies most companies have prohibiting employees from talking about their products.

Even if an employee posted a review (with permission) it's unlikely to be unbiased.

Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for the 3 and really want it to succeed, but REAL customers won't get it until 2018.

This release has been beyond annoying as a fan of the company and investor. Everything is so secretive up to employees yelling at people while trying to see the inside of a damn trunk!!

Quit all the secrecy already and you have either produced a functioning car or you havent.

Everything is so piece mailed and under this cloak of secrecy. Get over yourself Tesla. God forbid a new car has some kinks to work out.

One word for you. "Apple". A lot of these new CEOs model a lot of their behavior after Steve Jobs and Apple. Tesla is one of the very few doing a good job about it.

Mixture - yes friends and family of board members and close in folk --- ie - none that would be posting to YouTube for an unbiased view -- it would be great to have one of those teens post, but bet parents have strict guidelines on them doing so -- or at least friend of the teens is our best hope.

Reactions: Kacey Green
There won't be any until the product ships. Having employees alpha test your product doesn't count as shipped. You won't see any owner reviews from employees due to public posting policies most companies have prohibiting employees from talking about their products.

Even if an employee posted a review (with permission) it's unlikely to be unbiased.

Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for the 3 and really want it to succeed, but REAL customers won't get it until 2018.
While they may be employees under NDA's and closely guarding info on the cars, I think they actually bought them. Assuming that is true, I would guess they would find it unfair to claim they are not real customers.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Real customers? Yes they paid for the car (Elon has said everybody pays including him) While I too want to see videos with up close inspections and reviews I admire what Tesla is doing here. Keep it to the employees, fix any issues and hopefully start mass production ASAP w/o a big recall. It is a smart move! Remember this is Tesla's first foray into mass production and problems WILL arise but, no-one can predict what those will be until the car is used daily by at least a few people. Thankfully this car has so few moving parts :)

@bro1999 - because GM didn't have 400k reservations and billions of capital investments at risk. Proof in concept on product. The Beta phase clearly is needed hence the employee sales and any service needed or internal 'lemon' reporting too despite real purchases. That's why even Tesla owners have a range for the first production runs to give Tesla a break-in period with the real beta testing with the employees and shakeout of the production line.

I fully anticipate a slow ramp up for remainder of 2017 and no real deliveries of the $35,000 well into 1st qtr.; that 5000/week by end of 2017 is a lofty and very ambitious goal.

Edit - it still doesn't excuse why Tesla or any surrogate doesn't do a simple walk around of the finished product to give details of what is included and not included and simple dimensions people want --

eg:
trunk dimensions -- all of them. not 'lie flat bed' potential talk
Standard features -- and all PUP features -- clarifications on things like Cruise control, homelink, and heated steering wheels and seats manual or not in standard. --- simple answers to simple questions.....not looking at Fit/Finish things/issues
Exactly... then you get leaks that I thought were fake until I saw it came from an employee taking photos of the configurator. Photos?! Nah, can't actually release what's in the base car, like Homelink, which is stated nowhere else. And that the base has heated front seats, like any other Tesla. Really insane that the full specs aren't on paper in the press kit.

I'm sure they bought them. My friend bought one of the first Model S (single digit VIN). Was employee. Paid full price. No discount. Like any other customer.

Not the same thing. The Model S was available to the public out of the gate. The Model 3 isn't. It's not that the employees aren't real customers because they are employees, it's because ONLY employees (and special friends to Tesla) can purchase the Model 3.

Until the general public can buy the Model 3, it's not released.