Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the sensors etc. to avoid on Model 3 side mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to stick on blind spot mirrors without messing anything up on the existing mirrors. We got our Model 3 late September, if that makes a difference.

There's a band around the insides of the mirrors - maybe 1/4" in? I forget, not at the car right now - where the color is different, and presumably that's the part that dims. If I stick them on inside there will that do anything bad?

We got our Model 3 late September, if the model year makes a difference.

(I do know about replacement mirrors, and I mentioned in another thread that I returned the Nxtegen things. My question is just about the stock mirrors.)

TIA

Huh? How does that work?

when you hit civil twilight or whatever it is then the mirrors will dim.
The issue is if you are either close to the equator or very westward where it stays light for longer the car puts the dim on too early (i.e. near the equator a sunset is only a 15-20min process, before that its bright as daylight) I dont think it actually uses the gps coordinates, it just uses the timezone you are in and then maybe the capital of the state/country or smth like that.

Are you sure? Because I've noticed that my mirrors dim when bombarded with a bright light, such as a numbnut coming up behind me with their brights on. Typically the sensor for the mirror dimming is in the inside rearview mirror. It assumes that if the inside mirror is being blinded, so are the side mirrors. Thus, when you tint your rear window, the autodim doesn't work as well.

This is the first that I've heard that the mirrors dim based on timezone, rather than light being shined on them.

Are you sure? Because I've noticed that my mirrors dim when bombarded with a bright light, such as a numbnut coming up behind me with their brights on. Typically the sensor for the mirror dimming is in the inside rearview mirror. It assumes that if the inside mirror is being blinded, so are the side mirrors. Thus, when you tint your rear window, the autodim doesn't work as well.

This is the first that I've heard that the mirrors dim based on timezone, rather than light being shined on them.

As I wrote above, the way glass normally auto-darkens is just what you say. This even predates the digital revolution, in fact there have been glasses that darken in the sun for several decades.

I still think there's a sensor in there, though, because I saw a video about replacing the glass that mentioned it. There's definitely a connector in there, so it uses electricity.

Now, if Candleflame is right, there's no way that turning it on and off with the sun would be a problem in one timezone rather than another, any more than the display turning black is a problem. It might have to use the GPS to know where you are, but this isn't complicated.

As I wrote above, the way glass normally auto-darkens is just what you say. This even predates the digital revolution, in fact there have been glasses that darken in the sun for several decades.

I still think there's a sensor in there, though, because I saw a video about replacing the glass that mentioned it. There's definitely a connector in there, so it uses electricity.

Now, if Candleflame is right, there's no way that turning it on and off with the sun would be a problem in one timezone rather than another, any more than the display turning black is a problem. It might have to use the GPS to know where you are, but this isn't complicated.
Agree that this wouldn't be complicated to do. However, it may not be effective, because using that scheme, the mirrors darken even when there is no bright light around. This would significantly reduce the effectiveness of the mirror in the dark with no bright light (say, backing into the garage, or into a dark parking spot).

Here's a way to test this. Park the car in a dark spot. Then, shine a bright flashlight on the inside rearview mirror and see if the side mirrors dim. If they do, turn the flashlight off, and see if they brighten back up again.

Keith