Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the supercharger dots in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice map, Larry. I'm surprised by the absence of a "dot" in Orlando. It is obviously a destination for a lot of visitors. Any insights?

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forums.

Here's my thoughts from another thread:

Its true that there are no charging stations at Walt Disney World and that presents us with a big issue as documented in the following thread.
Disney's current position regarding electric chargers
However, the Orlando area has the highest concentration of hotels with chargers of any area of the state. We have to tell Disney that whereas we used to stay at their resorts since they have not gone to the effort of installing charging stations at their resorts (except at their RV park) in the future we will be staying at competing Orlando resorts that DO have chargers.

Here's a Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations. You can zoom into Orlando to see what I mean.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Great map Larry, been trying to figure this out on Tesla's Supercharger page:
Supercharger | Tesla Motors

But, your rendering helps to clarify...

Thanks Matt,

But the credit goes to Laurent. I merely zoomed his overlay.

Larry

attachment.php?attachmentid=22868&d=1369950356.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

SPECULATION:

Looking at the dot between Jacksonville and Tallahassee, it looks like it is located near the intersection of I-75 and I-10. There is an unlabeled rest stop on I-10 a few miles West of the intersection. By zooming in to street level on Google maps we can see that there are restrooms, snacks and drinks at vending machines. Although the amenities are as basic as you can get, the location is strategically located and seems to match the dot.

Rest stop at I-75 and I-10.jpg

Larry

Oooo, like it Larry! You know i've been looking for a while at the best route to Key West....

Nigel,

According to Google maps its 171 miles from The Shops at Pembroke Gardens to the heart of Key West. So a round trip of 342 miles. Google says that it will take about 3.5 hours to travel that 171 mile one-way distance, or an average of about 49 mph. Based on the Model S Speed vs. Range chart we would just barely make the round trip. However, I doubt we can safely travel that speed while on most of the mainland route, and there will be some vampire load and perhaps some minimal local travel. So I would think we would need some supplemental charging in Key West to safely make this trip without undue range anxiety. I know that you have friends in the area to make your trip worry-free. However, I am a worry wort I would like to see at least some public chargers, and ideally chargers at hotels in Key West to relieve my propensity to worry. :redface:

We do have a participating member of the Club Charging Network with a charging source at Key Largo. If he were available during a planned trip that might do the trick.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

It's important to remember that Tesla's strategy is to place Superchargers between major destinations, not at them.

Hi Todd,

I agree. Elon even stated that recently at the Supercharger question and answer session. This is especially true now during the initial rollout when Superchargers are scarce.

Having said that Tesla has no problem with placing Superchargers at the outskirts of major cities. You can see this on some of our Florida dots. Tampa, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, etc. The key point here is that these locations are NOT likely to be actually in the city. They are going to be strategically located near the city, but on a bypass route with a host location that has adequate amenities.

It would be very unwise to actually locate a Supercharger in the downtown area of a major city thereby forcing Model S drivers to be impacted by local city traffic.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

SPECULATION:

In examining the "Daytona Beach" dot it looks like The Pavilion at Port Orange matches the location of the dot being southwest of Daytona Beach.

The Pavillion is located right off of I-95 and has the necessary amenities.

Larry

Last edited:
SPECULATION:

In examining the "Tallahassee" dot I notice that there are a group of travel centers located at the intersection of I-10 and Memorial Blue Star Highway.
The centers cater to truckers and have a number of basic restaurants. The location seems to correspond to the dot being West of Tallahassee.

Supercharger Possible Tallahassee.jpg

Larry

Last edited:
Nigel, If you can get to my house in coral Springs, you can charge up. Then you can stop at our second home in Key Largo (96miles away) and juice up again. then do a reverse. Problem is timing and time charging. Our Townhouse in KL has a nice pool area and marina, so you can spend some quality time by the pool. We have a 240/40 so it would probably take you about 4 hrs to recharge. You can give me a call check out the timing.

- - - Updated - - -

I firmly believe the best location for a S Fla East Coast Charger would be at the Ft Pierce exit to I95 and the Turnpike. Both major highways are within 1 mile at that point, plenty of open spaces and a few places to eat. There is a Cracker Barrel there that should love to have the extra attention and a very empty shopping center for some inexpensive space. The location would be within the range for me with my 60 to get to Orlando with little worry, a quick stop to top off and then back on the road. It is truly the PERFECT PLACE.

Last edited:
Nigel, If you can get to my house in coral Springs, you can charge up. Then you can stop at our second home in Key Largo (96miles away) and juice up again. then do a reverse. Problem is timing and time charging. Our Townhouse in KL has a nice pool area and marina, so you can spend some quality time by the pool. We have a 240/40 so it would probably take you about 4 hrs to recharge. You can give me a call check out the timing.

Mark,

You could become very popular. :biggrin:

I sent you a private message.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry, tried to reply on your PM but your mailbox is full, very popular guy :smile: Was able to remove the info on my post, but think it is still stuck on your reply. Thanks for the info. We got our car 3 weeks ago, and have over 1700 very happy miles on it. Just got my HOV sticker Friday and was able to sign up for free I95 Express Lanes so even more happiness. My wife loves the car so much, ( I really configured it for her, color and equipment) I knew it would happen, so we may be in the market for another in Nov for our next car need in February.

Larry, tried to reply on your PM but your mailbox is full, very popular guy :smile: Was able to remove the info on my post, but think it is still stuck on your reply. Thanks for the info. We got our car 3 weeks ago, and have over 1700 very happy miles on it. Just got my HOV sticker Friday and was able to sign up for free I95 Express Lanes so even more happiness. My wife loves the car so much, ( I really configured it for her, color and equipment) I knew it would happen, so we may be in the market for another in Nov for our next car need in February.

Fixed it.

I'm sending you a direct email.

Larry

Fantastic offer, thanks; although you might regret it when the whole family and two sheepdogs show up! I can charge at Summerland Key no problem so Sarasota, short stop at Ft Myers, short stop outside Miami and then non-stop to Key West would be perfect. I would charge at hotel there or stop for a full charge at Summerland.

Fantastic offer, thanks; although you might regret it when the whole family and two sheepdogs show up! I can charge at Summerland Key no problem so Sarasota, short stop at Ft Myers, short stop outside Miami and then non-stop to Key West would be perfect. I would charge at hotel there or stop for a full charge at Summerland.

I saw on line, I think PlugShare app, that Tesla has already made an application to install a Supercharger somewhere around the Ft Myers exit on I75. Hope they put one at the Ft Pierce exit soon then I can drive my 60 to a meeting I have in Orlando late July. Have a good trip, if you run into problems in the Keys I know there are a lot of RV parks as well to charge up, but it would be easy to use our outlet in KeyLargo as it is outside of our townhouse and right next to the clubhouse and pool area.

SPECULATION:

Examining the "Jacksonville" dot we notice that it is North of Jacksonville. Zooming in with Google Maps we find the River City Marketplace located right off of I-95 and outside the I-295 beltway that runs around the city. So after topping off at a Supercharger located there a driver would have the option of avoiding the downtown city traffic by taking the beltway. This location nicely matches the dot in relation to Jacksonville.

It's 109 miles North from my guess regarding the "Daytona" dot (The Pavillion at Port Orange).

Larry

SPECULATION:

Like a number of other forum members, I too wonder why we have a "Palm Coast" dot when the "Daytona" and "Jacksonville" dots are adequately spaced apart. The "Palm Coast" dot actually appears to be North of Palm Coast and South of St. Augustine and as far as I can tell it isn't in a particularly strategic location. Zooming in with Google Maps I find a trucker's travel center with a Denny's restaurant at the intersection of I-95 and Route 206 that seems to be located at the dot.

Supercharger Possible Palm Coast.jpg

Like others, for the inititial rollout, I would like to see this potential Supercharger location moved to the Gainsville/Ocala region to facilitate North/South travel on the West side of the state.

For the most part I think that Tesla has done a good job in locating these dots. So I'm inclined to believe that there must be a "method to their madness". The only theory I have about the "Palm Coast" dot is that perhaps Tesla can't get enough spaces at the Jacksonville and Daytona locations and it needs this location to avoid congestion on well-traveled I-95. Or perhaps its a backup location in the event there are problems at Jacksonville or Daytona. I have to admit its a real head scratcher.

Larry

SPECULATION:

Well I've had fun speculating on where the Supercharger dots really are located. I have no idea how accurate my guesses are, but here's my last for the "Fort Walton" dot.

According to the overlay map the Supercharger location is North and slighly West of Fort Walton. Zooming in along I-10 I found a pair of rest stops on the West and East bound lanes of I-10 just West of the intersection of I-10 and Route 87 that seem to correspond to the location of the dot.

Supercharger Possible Fort Walton.jpg

Larry

I firmly believe the best location for a S Fla East Coast Charger would be at the Ft Pierce exit to I95 and the Turnpike. Both major highways are within 1 mile at that point, plenty of open spaces and a few places to eat. There is a Cracker Barrel there that should love to have the extra attention and a very empty shopping center for some inexpensive space. The location would be within the range for me with my 60 to get to Orlando with little worry, a quick stop to top off and then back on the road. It is truly the PERFECT PLACE.

Mark,

It's been confirmed by the Mayor of Port St. Lucie that Superchargers are going there. Since Fort Pierce is so close to Port St. Lucie we can be sure we won't be seeing another charger located at Ft. Pierce.

Larry

Mark,

It's been confirmed by the Mayor of Port St. Lucie that Superchargers are going there. Since Fort Pierce is so close to Port St. Lucie we can be sure we won't be seeing another charger located at Ft. Pierce.

Larry
Larry, I know I saw the link where they are putting them at the I95 exit in West Pt St Lucie. I guess there was some advantage, and while it is only about 8 miles out of the way in the long run not much to complain about. Hopefully it will be up and running when I have to go to Orlando late next month.
ML

I was just wondering something similar about the Ft. Myers Supercharger a few minutes ago: I wonder when these first couple of Superchargers will be operational?

According to the interactive map on the Tesla website the Ft. Myers, Port St. Lucie and the Daytona Superchargers are supposed to be available by Summer, 2013. (Summer begins on June 21 and ends on September 21.)

Then by Fall, 2013 the Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville Superchargers are supposed to be available.

By Winter, 2013 the Palm Coast Supercharger is supposed to be available.

Finally by 2014 the three Panhandle Superchargers are supposed to be available.

Larry

SPECULATION:

Like a number of other forum members, I too wonder why we have a "Palm Coast" dot when the "Daytona" and "Jacksonville" dots are adequately spaced apart. The "Palm Coast" dot actually appears to be North of Palm Coast and South of St. Augustine and as far as I can tell it isn't in a particularly strategic location. Zooming in with Google Maps I find a trucker's travel center with a Denny's restaurant at the intersection of I-95 and Route 206 that seems to be located at the dot.

View attachment 23188

Like others, for the inititial rollout, I would like to see this potential Supercharger location moved to the Gainsville/Ocala region to facilitate North/South travel on the West side of the state.

For the most part I think that Tesla has done a good job in locating these dots. So I'm inclined to believe that there must be a "method to their madness". The only theory I have about the "Palm Coast" dot is that perhaps Tesla can't get enough spaces at the Jacksonville and Daytona locations and it needs this location to avoid congestion on well-traveled I-95. Or perhaps its a backup location in the event there are problems at Jacksonville or Daytona. I have to admit its a real head scratcher.

Larry

The other thing that would help would be a CHAdeMO adapter.
According to Plugshare, the Nissan dealership in Ocala has a CHAdeMO quick charge that would help on the I-75 traverse between Tampa and I-10

OK, now we know about Ft Myers, Port St Lucie and Daytona I figured it's time to make this thread a sticky and un-stick the old one on suggested locations.

Well, thanks to Archie's reconnaissance it looks like the "Daytona" location is still up for speculation.

BINGO!!! Got a nudge to drive to Daytona with a camera late this AM and guess what I found. :rolleyes: The pictures, if I can attach and send them properly, should be self-explanatory. The location is in the east (only) parking lot of the large glass building (NASCAR HQ??) that stands by itself across International Speedway Blvd. from the Daytona track. There are 4 pedestals and it appears that there are 2 cables per pedestal = 8 stations. As you go east on Speedway Blvd. (92) the intersection signs say Nascar Drive on the right and Daytona Blvd. on the left. Incidentally, on some online maps, Daytona Blvd. is listed as Industrial Parkway.
Enjoy!:biggrin:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24206&stc=1&d=1371924536.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum to my previous post: Immediately east of the parking lot is a strip mall with a Ruby Tuesday. Next east from there is the Volusia Mall with a Penney, Macy and Dillards and a food court.

Larry