Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the Used Model 3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any ideas on why Tesla appears to only be listing one used M3 for sale in the whole country? I triple-chekced Ev-CPO and made sure all filters were off and they confirm only 1 is for sale. I spot-check various Zip's (San Fran/Chicago/Palm Beach) on the Tesla site they all show zero used M3's. I know they listed a bunch this past week and were sold very quickly.

Also, anyone know why Tesla is selling Demo's as New now? I had this chat with them this morning and still scratching my head...

me: "Hi Joshua, Quick question. Is it correct that Vin# 5YJ3E1EA2KF411622 is being sold as New (and closely priced as such) even though it has 1,540 miles on it? It's listed (amongst others w/ 1k+ miles) in your New Model 3 tab."

Tesla: Yes. It is a previous demo test drive vehicle.

Tesla: I know it looks confusing. The title status has nothing to do with the mileage. The demo cars were never sold to any customer, they stayed with us the whole time, therefore they are still technically titled as new....The used vehicles you see with minimal mileage would be returned during the 7 day return window. Because they were sold to a customer, we cannot sell them under a 'new' title.

·

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
It really fluctuates. They have been releasing bunches of them at different times. You can use this site:

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

It will show you what is available. The other day there were 50, today 1. So, be patient and hop on a deal when you see it and when it is good.

Alternatively, the demo cars are a good value sometimes and you can still get all of your state/fed rebates if you are eligible. Your best bet to find one of these is to call a rep and have them search for you.

Reactions: Daniel_6
Tesla: I know it looks confusing. The title status has nothing to do with the mileage. The demo cars were never sold to any customer, they stayed with us the whole time, therefore they are still technically titled as new....The used vehicles you see with minimal mileage would be returned during the 7 day return window. Because they were sold to a customer, we cannot sell them under a 'new' title.

This is a 100% correct answer. One benefit of this is that a demo, which is classified as new because it has never been sold and therefore never been titled, is eligible for all federal and state rebates that apply to new car sales. Every dealership in the U.S. must play by these same rules. All new car incentives will also be applicable to demos because they have never been titled and are therefore "new". Technically you could have a demo with 50,000 miles on it and it would still be considered new by law because it has never been sold and titled to a buyer. Of course the more miles there are on a demo, the bigger the price discount usually is :). The implications of this for the dealer is that the demo has no more incentives from the manufacturer then a new non-demo vehicle... so any further discount for a demo comes from the individual dealer and not the manufacturer. Of course in Tesla's case they are both dealer and manufacturer.

Anyone have any ideas on why Tesla appears to only be listing one used M3 for sale in the whole country? I triple-chekced Ev-CPO and made sure all filters were off and they confirm only 1 is for sale. I spot-check various Zip's (San Fran/Chicago/Palm Beach) on the Tesla site they all show zero used M3's. I know they listed a bunch this past week and were sold very quickly.

Also, anyone know why Tesla is selling Demo's as New now? I had this chat with them this morning and still scratching my head...

me: "Hi Joshua, Quick question. Is it correct that Vin# 5YJ3E1EA2KF411622 is being sold as New (and closely priced as such) even though it has 1,540 miles on it? It's listed (amongst others w/ 1k+ miles) in your New Model 3 tab."

Tesla: Yes. It is a previous demo test drive vehicle.

·

"new" vs "used" has nothing to do with mileage, as they said. A "new" car has never been titled to a consumer. The manufacturer could put 4k miles on it, and still sell it as new.

A "used" car is one that has been titled to a consumer. If you bought a new tesla with 12 miles on it, flat bedded it to your house, then drove it into the garage and the ODO said 12 miles, then returned it to tesla (and they picked it up in a flat bed) it would be a used car with 12 miles on it.

So, if you see a NEW car being sold by tesla, with miles, you know it was a demo or never titled. If you see a USED car, regardless of how many miles, you KNOW it was sold to someone and they gave it back (repo / return etc).

The scariest ones of those to me would be the ones people seem to be drooling over, which would be a USED tesla model 3 with 200 -300 miles. That would be one someone returned for some reason, almost certainly. Plenty of reasons why someone would return a tesla after buying it in 7 days, but the simplest answer is there was some issue with it that they were not confident tesla would resolve. Maybe they get resolved maybe they dont... shrug.

To me, because of the definition of used and new, I would rather have a "new" one that was a demo that had a couple thousand miles on it... or conversely a used one that had 6-7-8k miles... meaning someone used it and it wasnt an issue (likely).

A "used" tesla with very low miles was almost certainly returned for some reason, and tesla is selling them again to someone they hope wont care (or tesla fixed whatever issue it was...whichever way you want to look at it.)

Reactions: Daniel_6
Well I don’t see ..3.... or s or x ... this morning. No used listed or severe decrease so I am not finding by my zips
I see that too and EV-CPO.com also shows zero used across the three lines. So bizarre.. Wonder if Tesla is intentionally doing this? Anyone have a theory on why they aren't listing and Used makes? 3 or otherwise?

Thankfully I'm not looking to buy until late November but god help me if there is going to be this kinda shortage/games being played by then...