TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where are the wiper defrosters?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Matias, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Matias

Matias Active Member

I'm puzzled over winter package's wiper defrosters. Where are they? Previously I thought that this structure is the heating element, but when I measured with surface thermometer, they don't seem to have any effect whatsoever.
    So where are the wiper defrosters? Or is there something wrong with my car?

20151215_203418_resized.jpg

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They are supposed to be in the windshield.

3. green1

green1 Active Member

Those are definitely the defrosters, they aren't there on cars without the cold-weather package. Maybe yours aren't working right? or weren't turned on?

I know I had them on a previous (non-tesla) vehicle, and they did almost nothing useful, so I wasn't heartbroken when my inventory purchase didn't have them.

4. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

From the manual:

De-icing Wipers...If Model S is equipped with the optional cold weather package, you can de-ice wipers by touching Controls > Cold Weather > Heated Wipers. Wiper heaters automatically turns off after 15 minutes.

De-icing Washer Nozzles...If Model S is equipped with the optional cold weather package, washer nozzles have deicers that turn on whenever the ambient temperature nears freezing, or when you turn on the heated wipers (Controls > ColdWeather > Heated Wipers). The washer deicers turn off when the heated wipers turn off (after 15 minutes), provided the temperature is warm enough to prevent freezing.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

It would be nice if the 15 minute time was configurable. Over the recent Thanksgiving weekend, I drove over 500 miles to return home and had freezing rain, sleet and ice for over half the trip. If I'd been in a Tesla, I would've had to turn on the heated wipers at least 16 times.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Annoying.

7. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

check out this video, about 4:35 into the clip you can see the wiper defrosters.

Tesla Model S Heated Seats Subzero Weather Package [Infrared] - YouTube

8. Matias

Matias Active Member

OP Here. I took the car to service and wiper defroster heating element is broken. Needs wind shield replacement. Warranty covers.

9. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

That's good to know. Did you watch that video I posted?