Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the wiper defrosters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
I'm puzzled over winter package's wiper defrosters. Where are they? Previously I thought that this structure is the heating element, but when I measured with surface thermometer, they don't seem to have any effect whatsoever.
So where are the wiper defrosters? Or is there something wrong with my car?

20151215_203418_resized.jpg

I'm puzzled over winter package's wiper defrosters. Where are they? Previously I thought that this structure is the heating element, but when I measured with surface thermometer, they don't seem to have any effect whatsoever.
Those are definitely the defrosters, they aren't there on cars without the cold-weather package. Maybe yours aren't working right? or weren't turned on?

I know I had them on a previous (non-tesla) vehicle, and they did almost nothing useful, so I wasn't heartbroken when my inventory purchase didn't have them.

From the manual:

De-icing Wipers...If Model S is equipped with the optional cold weather package, you can de-ice wipers by touching Controls > Cold Weather > Heated Wipers. Wiper heaters automatically turns off after 15 minutes.

De-icing Washer Nozzles...If Model S is equipped with the optional cold weather package, washer nozzles have deicers that turn on whenever the ambient temperature nears freezing, or when you turn on the heated wipers (Controls > ColdWeather > Heated Wipers). The washer deicers turn off when the heated wipers turn off (after 15 minutes), provided the temperature is warm enough to prevent freezing.

From the manual:

De-icing Wipers...If Model S is equipped with the optional cold weather package, you can de-ice wipers by touching Controls > Cold Weather > Heated Wipers. Wiper heaters automatically turns off after 15 minutes.

De-icing Washer Nozzles...If Model S is equipped with the optional cold weather package, washer nozzles have deicers that turn on whenever the ambient temperature nears freezing, or when you turn on the heated wipers (Controls > ColdWeather > Heated Wipers). The washer deicers turn off when the heated wipers turn off (after 15 minutes), provided the temperature is warm enough to prevent freezing.

It would be nice if the 15 minute time was configurable. Over the recent Thanksgiving weekend, I drove over 500 miles to return home and had freezing rain, sleet and ice for over half the trip. If I'd been in a Tesla, I would've had to turn on the heated wipers at least 16 times.

View attachment 104458
check out this video, about 4:35 into the clip you can see the wiper defrosters.

Tesla Model S Heated Seats Subzero Weather Package [Infrared] - YouTube