Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are they now? The first 100 Roadsters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• HOV.JPG
    HOV.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 469
Latest update on the first 100 Roadsters.

Founder's version VIN 0025

Tesla Tesla | eBay

Well, if you count the Founders' too, then you might want to talk "First 127" since we have 27 Founders' and 100 Sig 100s.
Do you count the VPs too? (Some of them were eventually sold to customers.) And the EPs? (I don't think any of those are in private hands, and many have been decomissioned.)

I waved over #48 on a road trip with my family. I wrote about it on my blog here and on this board in a different thread: Random Roadster Sightings. It had the cool signature plaque and everything.

Bill then joined this board as user "tesla#48".

Had the pleasure of meeting Bill, the owner of Roadster #48 on on Thanksgiving Day while on a family trip to Fresno.

We were driving along in our Highlander Hybrid (there were four of us—the one limitation that prevents using the Roadster—until the model S comes out next year that is), and saw what looked amazingly like a Roadster up ahead. So I gunned the Beast (as we semi-lovingly call the Highlander) and caught up. My wife yelled out the window to him “What number are you??” She figured that would clue him in we actually knew a thing or two about Roadsters.

Well, Bill seemed pleased to meet some fellow owners. Apparently he’s the only Roadster owner in the area. He pulled over and we compared notes and talked about EV life for a bit. I’m pleased to say I was able to fill him in on a few things he didn’t know since he bought it used and didn’t get the official tour from the dealer (although I’m sure they’d be happy to give it to you if you are near one sometime Bill!). With his permission I’m posting a couple photos here and emailing him to invite him to come join the discussion.

And Bill, I must complement you on the color choice of Midnight Blue which just happens to be exactly the same as Roadster #913 (which happens to belong to the author).

View attachment 3689View attachment 3690

Last edited:
Well, if you count the Founders' too, then you might want to talk "First 127" since we have 27 Founders' and 100 Sig 100s.
Do you count the VPs too? (Some of them were eventually sold to customers.) And the EPs? (I don't think any of those are in private hands, and many have been decomissioned.)

I was originally considering the first 100 production models but all the EPs,VPs and Sigs are welcomed. If anyone has information on the VPs, EPs and Sigs as well as the first 100 production Roadsters please post.

P.S. If someone could change the title to "Where are they now?... The first 127". thanks

Last edited:
Well if you want to count EPs, VPs, Founders', and Sig 100s, then it is more like "first 168".
I think in 2006 they may have made 10 EPs.
I think in 2007 they may have made 14 VPs.
I think in 2008 they may have made 17 VPs, 27 Founders' and 100 signature models. (Plus around 400 more regular production models.)
Some of the EPs were likely crash tested.
I don't think any EPs were ever sold - some were probably decomissioned, used as museum pieces, and perhaps still a couple used for ongoing engineering experiments.
Many of the VPs bounced around the globe for shows, test rides, press events and such. A few ended up eventually being sold to private owners. I think most ended up in England or California.
I think all the Founders' cars are in the USA, nearly all still on the road. Once and a while you see a Founders' come up for sale.
Most of them are probably in California, with the occasional sighting in Illinois, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, ...
Most of this info I have collected from these sources:
#1: eBay and Craigslist auctions.
#2: Carfax used car listings.
#3: Flickr images that included a location.
#4: Comments posted on this forum.

By the way, for what it is worth, I have no intention of trying to keep track of Model S production.
I spent way too much time already, trying, out of curiousity, to see how much I could learn about Roadsters.