Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Are We With the Model S Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Am I correct in thinking that as of 01-24-21 we know this?
  • Cost...................................starting at $139,990
  • Exterior Color Choices......five (white, black, grey, blue, red)
  • Wheel Size.........................19" & 21"
  • Interior Color Choices.......three (black, black/white, cream)
  • Available for Pre-order.......yes
  • Promised Delivery..............beginning late 2021
  • Number of motors.............three
  • Range..................................520+ miles).
  • Top Speed...........................~200 mph
  • Acceleration........................0-60 in <2 seconds
  • Battery Type........................Tesla/Panasonic 4680)
  • Body Style............................based on current Model S
  • Number of doors.................four (plus rear lift-gate)
  • Number of Seats.................five or seven?
But that we do not know specifically about changes, if any, to:
  • precise physical dimensions?
  • weight?
  • horsepower?
  • torque?
  • external appearance (interesting Internet photos notwithstanding)?
  • tire size?
  • cockpit features (like seats and center console)?
  • steering wheel/column controls (or lack thereof)?
  • total number of display screens?
  • size and orientation of the central touch screen?
Can you add to or correct these lists of what we definitely do and do not know? What specifications and features do you most want to know about?

Finally, is it reasonable to assume that the speculative "refresh" of Models S and X will also affect the Plaid model? Or is it the other way around? Is the release of the top-of-the-line Plaid version driving possible 2021 updates to existing Model S and X versions?

2021 Model S Plaid

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
The starting price is $139,990...honestly I don’t think we have a clue on colors exterior or interior. I think that those that out the deposit down did so without knowing anything other than the speed.

This is the absolute sum total of what we “know”, and to be honest basically all of that is subject to change too.

What? Oh, yes; sorry! Now corrected. Not for the first time, I've been caught out by the Tesla website's default to the "Include potential savings" choice (which first displays $132,990). Wish it wouldn't do that. Darn marketing people!

*****​

Your points are well taken. I am attracted by the alleged range, plus the siren's song allure of possible cool new features, whatever those may be. (The speed and acceleration are super impressive, but where could they be employed except at a track? Or perhaps in an upcoming F&F movie.)

If a 2021 "refresh" offers substantive upgrades/updates, I believe I'll be going with a Long Range model. Like everyone else, I just wish I knew if and when a significant refresh was coming.

The Plaid model at least offers more specific promises of upgrades with a (vague) date of availability. Once its existing inventory is sold, Tesla should do the same for any potential refresh--i.e., inform its customer base of at least some of what is coming and provide an approximate date of when it should be available. Customers need to be able to plan. IMO there are advantages to customers under the traditional annual model-year sales schedules.

What? Oh, yes; sorry! Now corrected. Not for the first time, I've been caught out by the Tesla website's default to the "Include potential savings" choice (which first displays $132,990). Wish it wouldn't do that. Darn marketing people!

*****​

Your points are well taken. I am attracted by the alleged range, plus the siren's song allure of possible cool new features, whatever those may be. (The speed and acceleration are super impressive, but where could they be employed except at a track? Or perhaps in an upcoming F&F movie.)

If a 2021 "refresh" offers substantive upgrades/updates, I believe I'll be going with a Long Range model. Like everyone else, I just wish I knew if and when a significant refresh was coming.

The Plaid model at least offers more specific promises of upgrades with a (vague) date of availability. Once its existing inventory is sold, Tesla should do the same for any potential refresh--i.e., inform its customer base of at least some of what is coming and provide an approximate date of when it should be available. Customers need to be able to plan. IMO there are advantages to customers under the traditional annual model-year sales schedules.

people have said the same thing about speed and top speed since the p85 back in 2012 and every P iteration since. I could easily put it to go use on the daily. (Not top speed but the 0-60 for sure)

Last edited:
If you know the weight of the car (5,200 lbs. with three motors?) and the quarter-mile ET (I assume 8.95 seconds, based on the above info), use a horsepower calculator: 1,434 HP.

Engine Horsepower Calculator

In any event, according to the long-time tech editor of Mopar Action magazine, Richard Ehrenberg, SAE, horsepower is not measured, it is calculated.

And when I get mine, I'm headed to the drag strip to slay some Demons.

Last edited:
All we really know is that there will be a version of the Model S called Plaid. All the specifications, claims and particularly the dates should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Anything beyond exactly what Tesla has said is pure speculation.

Just look at the '2020 Roadster'.

Reactions: aerodyne
they aren't leaving much on the table for the roadster2
It's going to be track oriented and smaller - the sedan can be nearly as fast.

I came from Mercedes before Tesla and cross shopped based on which interior I liked rather than engine because they do the same thing with the AMG engine in everything. Chassis makes a difference on track but you don't have to buy the sports car if you want the power in your every day sedan. Tesla doing it means you can get most of the Plaid fun in your every day car without sacrificing rear doors but your neighbor with no kids can get the Roadster and eke out more performance.

• Funny
Reactions: Tiger
if cybertruck is going to have 500 mile range with a similar powertrain, but be higher off the ground, fatter tires, and less aerodynamic, it's going to be interesting to see if its geared different or if the sedan ends up going 600

I believe I recall the cyber truck long range getting a 200 kWh battery to achieve its 500 mi range. I haven’t seen it discussed but I am assuming and hoping that the Plaid will still have the 100 kWh battery. That would make supercharging much quicker. We should know soon.

Note! Supercharging (in miles per unit time) is actually faster the larger your battery is. Thus, you always want the larger battery, for both range and charging speed.

Though, if a certain battery X would give you a range Y on a car Z, and another battery x' would give you the same range Y on a car z', assuming chemistries are similar, I would assume that the charging speed would be effectively the same (in miles per unit time), regardless of battery size in kWh.