Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where can I buy a Tesla Model 3 air filter?

IgorS

Aug 12, 2018
Michigan
Hey Guys,
Can anyone recommend where to buy the model 3 cabin air filter for me to replace it myself?
Also, I haven't been able to find a replacement schedule. Do you know how often I should change it? Will the car give me an alert when to do it?
Thanks,
Igor.

Reactions: UTMB

SomeJoe7777

Marginally-Known Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houston, TX
Replacement schedule is supposed to be every 2 years, except China where it is every 1 year. (Both figures are according to the new do-it-yourself FAQ).

I would suspect that you have to get the filters directly from Tesla since they are a proprietary size and shape.

Reactions: IgorS

Malbrough

Nov 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Jesus H Christ! I still can't find these. I live 200 miles from service center, so I just want to pick these up and change them. Come on, Tesla! Lord almighty! Do I have to get Rich Rebuilds to petition Congress or something! It's a frickin air filter! Let's get with the program! This is America. We change air filters and stuff!!

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
Jesus H Christ! I still can't find these. I live 200 miles from service center, so I just want to pick these up and change them. Come on, Tesla! Lord almighty! Do I have to get Rich Rebuilds to petition Congress or something! It's a frickin air filter! Let's get with the program! This is America. We change air filters and stuff!!

Amen!

IgorS

Aug 12, 2018
Michigan
Just changed the cabin air filter yesterday. It's pretty easy, the only problem is working in a very tight space. Especially taking the T15 or T20 screw out. I also sprayed in the Kool-it foam to get help rid of the mildew smell.

Reactions: AmateurX

Jul 15, 2019
Cincinnati
Replacement schedule is supposed to be every 2 years, except China where it is every 1 year. (Both figures are according to the new do-it-yourself FAQ).

I would suspect that you have to get the filters directly from Tesla since they are a proprietary size and shape.
holy crap that has to be the most involved process for replacing a cabin filter. i need to get some of those clip removal tools, that's for damned sure.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
Dec 11, 2017
New Jersey
Since few people have owned a Model 3 for 2 full years this hasn’t been a high demand item. This one might be an option for you on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/WJM-Filter-Replacement-Activated-Compatible/dp/B07TZ5B9TQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=37XZWB9PYGW6O&keywords=tesla+model+3+cabin+air+filter&qid=1566960351&s=gateway&sprefix=Tesla+air+cabin+filter,aps,207&sr=8-3#customerReviews

It looks new since there is only one review. And it’s not in stock so it may be a new product.

Many more 3 reviews now...consensus is they fit perfect, come from China and are a bit flimsy but work great.

https://www.amazon.com/WJM-Filter-R...r,aps,207&sr=8-3customerReviews&tag=tmc064-20

eprosenx

May 30, 2018
Beaverton, OR
holy crap that has to be the most involved process for replacing a cabin filter. i need to get some of those clip removal tools, that's for damned sure.

This is freaking ridiculous. Tools should NOT be required to replace an air filter. My Toyota’s just required pinching a couple pieces of plastic behind the glove box. I could have them out in about 15 seconds with zero worries of damaging anything or causing rattles.

ugh... Designed in California. :)

(I make that joke all the time since folks down there don’t know what it is like to live somewhere cold or somewhere wet or apparently somewhere that you do work on your car yourself or just in general)

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz

Matsayz

Jul 6, 2019
Las Vegas
Anyone had it done at the service center? I wonder how much do they charge for the whole thing parts and labor.

You're going to fleeced if you pay to have Tesla do it. It's not that hard, grab a flat head screw driver if you don't have the nice plastic pry tools and pop the thing off.

derotam

Oct 31, 2018
Oak Hill, VA

You should ask for the spec sheet on those showing that they are actually HEPA. Those filters actually come from evtuning.com. The site used to list specs that did not support their HEPA claim. I called them on it. They eventually changed their statements on the website to be in line with the HEPA standard but when I asked about it they said the previous numbers were a "typo". The discrepancy was more than a reasonable typo. I asked for the data sheet for the filter material but they have thus far ignored me.

I take a HEPA claim very seriously because people think differently when they hear "HEPA" and they might not be getting what they are paying a premium for. I will buy those filters if they can prove their claim with the data sheet for the filter material. Till then I will continue to warn people about the possibility that these may not be HEPA(based on past statements and actions by evtuning.com).

OCR1

Jan 28, 2018
Southern California
You should ask for the spec sheet on those showing that they are actually HEPA. Those filters actually come from evtuning.com. The site used to list specs that did not support their HEPA claim. I called them on it. They eventually changed their statements on the website to be in line with the HEPA standard but when I asked about it they said the previous numbers were a "typo". The discrepancy was more than a reasonable typo. I asked for the data sheet for the filter material but they have thus far ignored me.

I take a HEPA claim very seriously because people think differently when they hear "HEPA" and they might not be getting what they are paying a premium for. I will buy those filters if they can prove their claim with the data sheet for the filter material. Till then I will continue to warn people about the possibility that these may not be HEPA(based on past statements and actions by evtuning.com).

It’s clearly not a HEPA filter. Here is the statement from their website:

Air Filtration up to PM2.5 95% and PM0.3 99.97%

As soon as a filter uses the term “up to” it is clearly not HEPA. The term up to means it could be anything from 0% to 99.97%. That is not much of a commitment.

I would just go with the OEM filters. They are reasonably priced and do a decent job.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC