TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Where can I draw a constant 12v for the Tekonsha 119250 Trailer/Wiring Harness?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vesder21, Jun 10, 2019.

1. vesder21

vesder21 Member

How are you guys running your wiring harnesses for a trailer? I've read a few posts about using a basic flat 4 harness for LED trailer lights, but I sometimes rent old Uhaul trailers, which have the old school incandescent lights so need something powered.

Therefore I would like to install the recommended Tekonsha 119250 (no splice) harness on my 2013 P85, but not sure how to wire up. From what I can tell person with ICE cars route this to their 12v battery, but it's such a pain to run cable up there so wondering if there is an easier or better way? Will the license plate lights or power lift gate be enough to power this harness?

Also anyone install one of these and have the wiring diagram? Some previous posts pair up the L, R, lights and ground to a singe (L or R side) of the tail lights vs. another member said you have to run from BOTH L and R taillights to each of the harness wires?

Any thoughts or help with this wiring would be appreciated.

2. mb300sd

mb300sd Member

Look up the install video and instructions for the lighted rear applique - you need most of the same wires. I made up a molex connector so I can unplug the applique controller and connect the trailer instead.

Edit: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0196/5170/files/LightedRearAppliquecopy2.pdf
    Has the location and color codes for all the wires you need. Colors may vary over the years - I think a few of mine didn't match.

• Like x 1
  3. gasisnasty

gasisnasty Member

mb300sd - you must have a lot of time on your hands to basically strip the car apart to install wires - for what? Some vanity lighted appliqués. IMHO what a waste of time.

• Funny x 1
  4. vesder21

vesder21 Member

yup, the new generation of Tesla owners criticizing before they even know what is going on. it was nice years ago when you could ask a question on the forum for community members to help.

mb300sd - your suggestions was very helpful and I was able to install.

no fun is being had here with the "wiring harness for a trailer" ;o)

Attached Files:

5. gasisnasty

gasisnasty Member

Quote "your suggestions was very helpful and I was able to install."
    Really ? Where exactly in the rear did you hook up to a constant 12v outlet?