TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where can I find 30 Amp NEMA 14-50 cords?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by designer, Jan 18, 2015.

1. designer

designer New Member

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea as to where I could find short 30 amp extension cords (one male end, one female end)... ideally with at least one end having a plug that is in line with the cord (instead of being turned out 90 degrees)... also no more than 10ft in length (the shorter the better). The NEMA 14-50 is the plug I am looking at, however, I could settle for a different one. I just need both ends to be the same.

Thanks!

Andrew

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

With those odd specs you'll have to make your own.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Use google. Camco makes one at 18" and one at 15'. They will all be 50A, which isn't problem if you're running only 30A through it. Buy them on Amazon or at Walmart (in the RV/camping section).

4. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

With a 14-50 plug, you need a 50 amp rated cord. You can always dial back the charging rate. They are online for about 150.00 or so. It's about 1 full inch in diameter and heavy. I have a twenty footer. Suggest you don't try to make extension cords unless you are really careful on wire size and connections for the 10KW....

5. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

You're going to want a 14-30 cord if you're looking for 30 amp. There are quite a few on Amazon.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I do not think you will find a 14-50 less than 10 ft with one end "inline" (not at a right angle). And 14-50 would normally be 50A.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

$56 for a 15' extension.

8. SUN_Spot

SUN_Spot Member

I picked up a 6 foot 14-50 cord (50 A and 6 gauge) at Home Depot this weekend. It had a male plug on one end and ring lugs on the other. About $23.

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

10. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

I think you have to be REALLY careful with these adapters. They are by-passing the one safety generally available for wire fires. That is, put a 30 to 50 on, and pull on it with the 50 amp charger, and the house breaker better work. Same with the undersized extension cord.
    So 30-30-30 is good. 50-50-50 is good. Otherwise, things are tricky and it may only takes one mistep. Then Tesla is in the news again...... just mho

11. Scott

Scott Member

#11 Scott, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    I made my own extension cord utilizing parts from Home Depot and ordering via Amazon. Total cost was $45 providing one already has the proper tools and an Electric Multimeter tester. In my opinion, one should only attempt in making their own extention cord is if they are familiar with how electrical currents work, otherwise bad things (like death) could happen.

So it might be better/safer to buy one, I'd recommend this site:

http://www.evseadapters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57