TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where can I order a front license plate bracket? My Roadster never had one...

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by TOBASH, Aug 11, 2014.

1. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

My car came from a no front license plate state.

Where can I pick up a front license plate bracket and all essential mounting hardware?

Thanks,

T

2. Chris Lockfort

Chris Lockfort 2008 Roadster 1.5 + 2015 Zero SR

There are (much) cheaper options, but I have the one from Mower Deck Axle ( Mower Deck Axles,Carrera,Cayman,John Deere,Kubota ).
    Advantage: No holes in your bumper (mounts via the tow hook screw hole), easily take it off and make your car stock again or just for shows and races, etc.
    Disadvantage: Cost, and also any front license plate is frankly not as sexy. But, you know. State laws. Sorry dude.

3. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

#3 sethr, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    My Roadster came with an extra plastic plate holder (but no screws). It was just sitting in the trunk. PM me if you want it (with your mailing address) and I'll send it to you. Maybe your service center will mount it for you. It doesn't put holes in the bumper, BTW.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Were there different plate holders for the various nose iterations? OP may need to specify what Roadster version he has.

5. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

He did, in a different post - we both have 2.5's.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Thanks. You have excellent taste in Roadster color btw. ;-)

7. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

Just discovered, I DO have the screws for mounting the plate holder. They were hiding from me.

8. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

Many Thanks to sethr for calling me and sending me a license mount that he had.

Thanks man!

T

9. djf

djf Member

I just bought and installed the front license plate holder from Mower Deck Axle for my 2008 Tesla Roadster. http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets/othermakesmodelcars.html

I give it 5 stars so far:
    *Ordering was easy and fast.
    *Larry provides prompt, courteous, highly professional and personalized contact by email
    *It is a very solid and elegant solution - beautiful design and machining, light-as-a-feather but robust aluminum
    * It literally took less than 5 mins to install due to its ingenious design and crystal clear instructions
    *It looks great (i.e., invisible!) and seems very solid
    *It should be be easy to remove if a tow is ever needed or to "show" the car
    *It think it is worth every penny of its somewhat expensive price ($89.95 plus shipping)

10. strider

strider Active Member

A +1 for Larry's bracket. After being backed into twice my original Steve-designed front plate bracket gave up. I ordered Larry's last week. IIRC it was the same price as Steve's and is well made. Larry shipped fast and installation was smooth, even accounting for my 4.5 and 2 year old helping. Drove to and from work today and it didn't move. Success!

11. rdstr

rdstr Member

I thought I'd show you a simple bracket I fabricated for my roadster front plate that fits on the tow hook. Took me about 2 hours to make from some lite gauge steel and a plastic mounting plate I picked up at hardware section at Walmart. Just thought you might like to see if you wanted to construct one yourself... WP_20150315_001.jpg WP_20150315_003.jpg if you have any questions let me know! Ken 2010 Roadster 2.0 #521

12. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Scott Kirksey whipped up another batch of his version - based on (or is) Steve's design, I believe. The price was $60/each plus $15 for shipping earlier this year, but you might want to double check that. The bracket comes with the bolt, lock washer, 2 allen keys, and instructions for assembly. Scott prefers PayPal. You can reach him at Scott dot Kirksey at gmail.com.

13. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

After all this time I finally got around to calling Larry @ Mower Axle dot com

Great Guy! Easy to talk to and very nice.

I have my unit being sent. I decided that after a year of running without a properly mounted front plate I want to ensure my car is up to snuff.

Best,

T