Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where can I purchase Tesla Model 3 Tire Pressure Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^ Thank you!
While you were typing (I think) I finally grasped what you wrote earlier.
At sea level, if the tire was allowed to deflate to ambient pressure the gauge and the TPMS would both read "0" psi: in the case of gauge, because the pressures are equal; in the case of the TPMS because it measures 14.7 psi and it is calibrated to report the pressure - 14.7.

At altitude where ambient is e.g. 5 psi lower the gauge will read "0" but the TPMS will report "-5" since it is calibrated to an ambient of 14.7 psi but it will measure 9.7 psi in the tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: SomeJoe7777
^^ Thank you!
While you were typing (I think) I finally grasped what you wrote earlier.
At sea level, if the tire was allowed to deflate to ambient pressure the gauge and the TPMS would both read "0" psi: in the case of gauge, because the pressures are equal; in the case of the TPMS because it reads 14.7 psi and it is calibrated to report the pressure - 14.7.

At altitude where ambient is e.g. 5 psi lower the gauge will read "0" but the TPMS will report "-5" since it is calibrated to an ambient of 14.7 psi but it will measure 9.7 psi in the tire.

Yes, exactly.

I wish car manufacturers would program their TPMS systems to compensate for elevation. As long as the car has GPS (as part of Nav or any other system), the car should be able to look up the current elevation from an on-board database or via Internet, and then compensate the pressure value from the TPMS system. This would ensure that the TPMS readings always match gauge pressure.

Tesla could do this easily because the car is Internet-connected.

upload_2019-11-26_20-22-45.jpeg

Work right out of box. Already programmed.

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-26_20-21-53.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-26_20-21-53.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 84
  • upload_2019-11-26_20-21-53.png
    upload_2019-11-26_20-21-53.png
    557.8 KB · Views: 76
All pressures are measured as a differential pressure between two things:

Absolute Pressure - Absolute pressure is the pressure of a gas, referenced to a pure vaccuum. Absolute pressure is give in units of pounds per square inch, absolute, or psia. Example: Sea-level atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psia. This means the atmosphere is exerting 14.7 pounds per square inch on every surface it is in contact with, whereas a pure vaccuum would exert no pressure.

Gauge Pressure - Gauge pressure is the pressure of a gas, referenced to the current atmospheric pressure outside the chamber where the pressurized gas is. Gauge pressure is typically reported as psi, or psig. Example: The Model 3 placard tire pressure is 42 psig. This means that the pressure inside the tire is exactly 42 psi above the pressure outside the tire (atmospheric pressure).

When you use a manual pressure gauge on your tire, you are measuring gauge pressure. Let's say we fill a tire to 42 psig at sea level. There is a fixed amount of gas inside the tire, and a fixed pressure outside the tire, and they differ by 42 psi. Now we drive to 10,000 feet elevation. The same fixed amount of gas is still inside the tire, but there is now less pressure outside the tire due to the increase in elevation. Measuring the gauge pressure now will read 47 psig, because the air pressure outside the tire has dropped by 5 psi.

TPMS measures the absolute pressure of the air inside the tire. When we filled our tire to 42 psig at sea level, the absolute pressure inside the tire was 42 + 14.7 = 56.7 psia. The TPMS module reads this pressure, subtracts sea-level absolute pressure from it (56.7 psia - 14.7 psia = 42 psig) and reports that value to the car. The TPMS readings are 42 psig, which match the manual gauge at sea level.

When we drive to 10,000 feet elevation, the same absolute pressure is inside the tire (56.7 psia). The same calculation is performed because the TPMS modules do not know our elevation, nor do they know the atmospheric pressure outside the tire. They report the same 42 psig to the car.

But for the gauge, we have 56.7 psia inside the tire, and now 9.7 psia outside the tire (the elevation caused the outside atmospheric pressure to drop from 14.7 psia to 9.7 psia). The gauge measures the difference = 56.7 psia - 9.7 psia = 47 psig. This is different from the TPMS reading by 5 psi, the same as the difference in atmospheric pressure.

Now, which reading is "correct"? The answer is the gauge reading. The manufacturer of the tire guarantees it's performance based on actual forces on the rubber, steel belts, and beads. The forces are based on the differential pressure between the inside and outside of the tire, not the absolute pressure inside the tire. Thus, the gauge pressure is the one that needs to be set correctly.

As an example, if I set the tire at 42 psig at sea level, and then drive to 10,000 feet, the gauge reading becomes 47 psig. The ride becomes harsh, and the handling capability goes down. Letting air out so that the gauge pressure reads 42 psig again restores the comfortable ride.

Also note that all of the above discussion assumes constant temperature. Temperature is another variable in the tire pressure equation. Every 10 degree Fahrenheit drop in temperature lowers tire gauge pressure by 1 psig. This is because the gas inside the tire is a fixed volume, but when colder it exerts less pressure. Note that driving to a high elevation frequently causes the change in gauge pressure due to elevation and the change in gauge pressure due to temperature to offset each other. If I'm at 70F at sea level and drive to 40F at 6000 feet, there will be no change in gauge pressure. (+3 psig on the gauge from 6000 feet elevation, -3 psig on the gauge from temperature drop of 30F = no change). TPMS, however, gets affected by temperature, so TPMS gets -3 psig reading from the 30F drop and again mismatches the gauge pressure.

Examples:
Sea Level, 70F: Tire Absolute = 56.7 psia, Atmosphere Absolute = 14.7 psia, Gauge = 42 psig, TPMS = 42 psi.
6000 feet, 70F: Tire Absolute = 56.7 psia (no temperature change), Atmosphere Absolute = 11.7 psia (-3 psia due to elevation), Gauge = 45 psig, TPMS = 42 psi, Ride = Got harsher, tire overinflated.

Sea Level, 70F: Tire Absolute = 56.7 psia, Atmosphere Absolute = 14.7 psia, Gauge = 42 psig, TPMS = 42 psi.
Sea Level, 40F: Tire Absolute = 53.7 psia (-3 psia due to temperature drop), Atmosphere Absolute = 14.7 psia (no change in elevation), Gauge = 39 psig, TPMS = 39 psi, Ride = Got softer, tire underinflated.

6000 feet, 40F: Tire Absolute = 53.7 psia (-3 psi due to temperature drop), Atmosphere Absolute = 11.7 psia (-3 psia due to elevation), Gauge = 42 psig, TPMS = 39 psi, Ride = Same as sea level, correct inflation.

OK @SomeJoe7777 you've now taken the quality of your response off the charts! Am I prying too much by asking what you do for a living?

OK @SomeJoe7777 you've now taken the quality of your response off the charts! Am I prying too much by asking what you do for a living?

I own my own Managed IT Service Provider business. We assist other small businesses with IT needs because they don't have their own IT people.

I hold an Electrical Engineering degree, and I've also worked in the nuclear energy and plant engineering fields. My senior design thesis/project in college was building an 8-bit computer from scratch using field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) which were programmed to function as a microprocessor and I/O controller. I also designed the display and keyboard interfaces as well as the system BIOS. I have worked on numerous software projects over the years in over a dozen different programming languages, all the way from assembler/machine code to HTML5. I have built several custom hardware projects around many different microcontrollers, especially the older 8-bit controllers such as the 8051, TMS370, AT90, PIC16, Z80, and 6502. I have also done analog electronics work, including RF transmitters and receivers, antenna design, and audio amplifier design. I also have a background in information theory, encoding and cryptography, data compression, and spread-spectrum modulation.

Over the years, I've been exposed to, studied, and worked in many areas of engineering, including electrical, electronic/computer, mechanical, and chemical. I approach those fields from a more practical point-of-view, concentrating on real-world implementations. Theory is great, but bringing that theory into real-world use is the place where I like to operate. That's where the benefits of the technology are realized.

Set of 4 from me is $163.52 total price, includes 4 sensors programmed for your Tesla vehicle and includes shipping to the lower 48. Shipping to AK/HI or US territories is additional.

See my post in the For Sale forum:

For Sale: Programming Service for Autel TPMS Sensors - $25
Hi how can I communicate with you as I need 4 TPMS sensors? 2020 M3P and, I'd prefer they be shipped straight to you, if so. MY name is Steve and can be written at [email protected] or text 505-803-1911.. Thanks Steve

I already answered that. Yes. I forget price but I they are like $80/each.
I just got 4 today. $75 each. I wanted to make sure that they will work so I went with OEM from Tesla. This way they are warrentied in case they fail. I put them on track wheels and tires. The ones from America’s tires do not work. Tried them yesterday and got an error message on the display. The stock ones are simplicity itself. Put them in the wheel, drove about 2 miles and they synced right up and started giving me the psi on the screen. Only 73 more than the ones America’s tires sells.

Maybe a dumb question, but can I replace just one sensor, or does it have to be all four?

Yes, you can replace just one, no problem. The car will recognize it after driving for 10-15 miles (Model 3, Y, X, or S if the VIN is 050900 or later). If you have a Model S with VIN less than 050900, then you'll need to use the TPMS Reset button in the Service section of the touchscreen controls. Model S with VIN less than 050900 also needs a different type of sensor than all other Teslas.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush