Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where can we rent a Model 3 (or any Tesla) in LA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Travelling to LA on Monday for a business trip, and as we’re going to SF on Wednesday, and need a car up there, I figured it would be nice to drive up along the coast (my co-worker has never driven that route).

As we both have Teslas (Model X), we really don’t want to drive an ICE, so I’m trying to figure out if any place has Teslas (Model 3 since it will probably be the cheapest) to rent in LA that allows you to return them at the airport in San Francisco.

Anybody that knows anywhere that has Teslas and that allows you to do this?

edit: Ah, maybe not Turo for you. I doubt that a private owner would allow you to drive their car up to SF from LA (i.e., a one-way trip).

Check with the major car rental companies and inquire if they have a Tesla to rent.

Last edited:
Travelling to LA on Monday for a business trip, and as we’re going to SF on Wednesday, and need a car up there, I figured it would be nice to drive up along the coast (my co-worker has never driven that route).

As we both have Teslas (Model X), we really don’t want to drive an ICE, so I’m trying to figure out if any place has Teslas (Model 3 since it will probably be the cheapest) to rent in LA that allows you to return them at the airport in San Francisco.

you're supposed to do that trip in a mustang gt convertible :)

Reactions: timp123
There’s an app called Turo where it’s like an Airbnb for cars. Rent what ever model/car from private owners for which ever days you want and set a meet up location. Pretty simple and easiest way to go about it.
Used TURO for the first time in January. Painless, convenient, an excellent resource. I wanted to experience a Tesla to see if I wanted to buy one. I did. Two hours after I got home.

Reactions: gigawatt1010
edit: Ah, maybe not Turo for you. I doubt that a private owner would allow you to drive their car up to SF from LA (i.e., a one-way trip).

Check with the major car rental companies and inquire if they have a Tesla to rent.

FWIW when I looked into this (granted it was a little over a year ago) nobody but Turo rented Teslas and nobody there did 1-way rentals.

• Informative
Reactions: protoclown

Just reread his post and you’re correct I missed that part. No way in hell a private owner will allow you to pick the car up from LA (means he lives there) and drop it off at San fran airport.

Only option would be to see if a rental company has a location in both areas and if they’re okay with a one way trip. However, I know most franchised rental places are owned by different people so they still may not allow it even if there was a location in both LA and SF

Tesloop.com
Unfortunate they do not have SF location. Sorry for not helping.

Your link said:
Tesloop One Way Rental service on hold.
Hello! Thank you for your interest in our One Way Rental service. We've decided to temporarily pause service as of 1/15/2020 in order to upgrade our software and make adjustments to our operations. We are also waiting on brand new Tesla vehicles to join our fleet

Enterprise allows rental of Tesla under their exotic line.

That could necessitate a very expensive pick-up/return fee. Cheapest would be to find somebody needing the return trip (Turo). Most expensive would be to charge the renter airfare for the owner to fly up to SFO and then to cover his/her Supercharging costs (and maybe time) for the owner to drive the car back to LA.

So far I’ve looked at:
- Budget
- Avis
- Sixt
- Enterprise
- Hertz

None of which seem to have Teslas, or at least not in the LA area. And Turo is probably difficult due to it being individuals renting out their cars.

TURO was easy for me. A rez request, couple of emails, I was met at the car, given a quick cockpit tour, the owner introduced my phone to the car, and I was off. Recharged the car when I got home, took it to the spot, and went home and ordered a Model 3.