TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where did AM Radio go???

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by jd3, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jd3

jd3 Member

So, maybe something changed when I wasn't looking?!

My Sig Model S has AM/FM/XM Satelite BUT, My Sig Model X ONLY has FM/XM Satelite!!! Has AM radio been removed from currently produced Model S's?

Stopped by the Fremont SC and they confirmed "not a bug", AM radio is not supported on Model X!

Hope this won't be a deal breaker for folks!?

Annoying for sure.

Note: Internet Radio still seems to be fully functional!

cheers,

jdiii:confused:

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

FWIW, I never use AM radio in my Model S, but do listen to AM stations... on TuneIn. The sound quality is so much better and I don't have to worry about the station fading out, static etc.I don't think I'd miss terrestrial AM radio myself.

3. pvogel

pvogel Member

It's been discussed here and on Facebook, etc. speculation is front motor creates interference for AM, and, quite honestly AM is dead tech, doesn't make sense to continue to support. TuneIn as well as HD radio second streams cover most AM use-cases.

4. 1208

1208 Active Member

pictures-of-dinosaur-fossils-archeologist.jpg

• Funny x 1
  5. green1

green1 Active Member

Except the common one around here, being too far from anywhere for FM and out of cell range... (Canada is really big... and really spread out...)

6. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Let's just say it went the same place the 8-track, the cassette player and the CD player went. :)

7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

The ONLY issue I have with this is most of the major sports teams in the US have their games broadcasted on AM still to this day... Due to ridiculously stupid blackout restrictions those are not currently provided on the TuneIn stream so when the Warriors are playing I can listen to KNBR 680 in my Model S but when I flip to the TuneIn stream, it's nothing but dead air...

Just something to think about before everyone thinks terrestrial AM is dead... :)

Jeff

8. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

It's hilarious how all these apologists say that AM is dead simply because they don't listen to it. Meanwhile, everyone else does...

9. suresv

suresv Member

Agreed on the need for AM. The only reason I go to AM is because of sports broadcasts. I Will need to figure out the Warriors broadcast when I get my X. Saving grace for me is my A's have moved on to the new world and FM radio!! Not so for the Giants fans in the bay area.

10. 1208

1208 Active Member

On a serious note you are right. It's also sad because aren't more rural and local stations AM. Also in weather emergencies or power outages aren't AM stations used to give out warnings to locals?

11. pvogel

pvogel Member

AM is irrelevant globally, so it's only relevant for Tesla in North America. Would you want Tesla investing a bunch of money to deal with RF interference from the front brushless motor and it's speed control to make AM come through clean?

• Like x 1
  12. green1

green1 Active Member

They got it to work on the S, even the D models.

13. pvogel

pvogel Member

Aren't Giants games on 101.9FM in the Bay Area?

14. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

15. pvogel

pvogel Member

16. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

During the business day in southern california I listen to a traffic and news station now and then. I frequently listen to both college and professional sports on AM radio. I switch back and forth when advertisements come on so it would be hard on Tune in if it is available there. During baseball season I listen to AM baseball broadcasts at home--I usually do not have time to watch on TV but enjoy the AM radio broadcast while I am doing something around the house. AM works fine in my model S. So in the $100,000 model X, I would have to have a portable AM radio in the center counsel.

17. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

Looked at the Volvo XC90 for my wife. The T8 plug-in hybrid also does not have AM. Interference.

I can say that my Model S technically has it but it is virtually useless. Completely un-listenable.

18. pvogel

pvogel Member

Did they? The Model S xxD owners I know say AM is useless for them.

19. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I listen to AM talk radio practically every day I drive in the car.

If I were to ever upgrade to a newer "D" type Model S, and found out I'd lost AM radio, I'd be furious.

20. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Take it to a BMW whiz kid and get it "coded?"

(The US i3's have no AM radio on the features list either, but a quick bit of canbus magic makes it available).