Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did AM Radio go???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol am radio.

where's my black and white TV? and why are there so many kids on the damn lawn?!

Everclear - AM Radio - YouTube

:)

I'm not sure mocking other users needs for AM radio is the best way to approach this... If it weren't for the ridiculous nature that is professional sports broadcasting rights and blackout rules, a significant chunk of AM wouldn't be needed at the broadcast level. Granted not everyone listens to live sports, or live talk radio, or weather\traffic stations, but to suggest that because YOU don't rely on those things that EVERYONE shouldn't have access to them is a bit, well, selfish...

Jeff

Eaaazzy boy... it's a joke. AM radio is funny. It's like an 8-track or record player.
Many companies have been dropping AM support for several years now.

Actually, I'd be fine if they eliminated FM as well. I've had Sirius since 2004, and never went back.
The commercials, the static, the whole thing is just awful!

Last edited:
Eaaazzy boy... it's a joke. AM radio is funny. It's like an 8-track or record player.
Many companies have been dropping AM support for several years now.

Actually, I'd be fine if they eliminated FM as well. I've had Sirius since 2004, and never went back.
The commercials, the static, the whole thing is just awful!

LOL I'm cool man, I'm cool... :)

Funny enough I thought about adding a smiley face to the end of my post to attempt to downplay the serious sounding language but opted not to... Oops... :)

I used to pay for Sirius but in the end couldn't justify it's ridiculous cost given the poor quality of the streams that have gotten worse over the years... I have it on my Harley Davidson for ESPN radio as the streaming bit is a bit difficult on a bike, especially if the stream dies, your SOL... :)

Jeff

No worries, it's hard via any written medium to convey intent. I try not to overreact unless necessary :)

I did Lifetime Sirius in my last vehicle (still in family). I occasionally miss the morning mash up. Slacker is nice though. Lifetime was "only" $400 when I did it in 2009. So, it's paid for it's self by now.

Once you leave FM, it's brutal to try to go back. I find the commercials infuriating!

Here's a great web page to easily show you the HD radio stations in your area:

Find Stations | HD Radio

It lists the sub stations including the FM HD ones that are retransmitting AM stations.

So much easier than sitting in the car and scanning and selecting every one.

The list has the HD AM only stations at the bottom of the list. In Los Angeles, 5 AM HD stations are on the AM band. Three of those are also on FM HD.

Last edited:
Reactions: vdiv
Anyone who thinks AM radio is dead hasn't driven through the middle 80% of the country much. Some of the most popular broadcasts in the country are on AM radio.
For decades, AM Clear Channel stations at night can be listened hundreds of miles away. However, the FCC wants to lower the signal strength of some stations.

KFI AM 640 in Los Angeles is requesting that listeners sign their petition. AM reception in Model S needs all the signal strength it can get. Here is the link:

http://www.kfiam640.com/features/save-am-radio-1919/

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks AM radio is dead hasn't driven through the middle 80% of the country much. Some of the most popular broadcasts in the country are on AM radio.

Yes. And unless you are in heavily populated regions, AM is the only 24/7/365 source for news. Even satellite restricted by weather conditions. There are areas where the only FM you receive is pure music or Spanish, if any at all.

If you stay in the cities, you don't really "need" AM. If you travel long distances, you'll find out why it's still around.

Reactions: vdiv
I spent a lot of time today figuring this out. Am not complete, but made headway. I live in SF Bay Area.

Didn't realize Tunein blacks out home team games.

Giants - MLB at bat on your iphone. (it costs around $15-$20 for a season)
A's - 95.7 FM - no issue Plus Tune in.
Warriors - not yet sure. Assume there is something like MLB at bat for NBA?
Armstrong and Getty - Tune in 810 and iphone podcasts

I just leaned about the "no AM" on my X when I tried to listen to the Giants this afternoon. This is really a pain for sports fans in the Bay Area. I already have MLB At Bat, so I started streaming from my phone, but it was a really poor listening experience (cutting out, needing to reinitiate the app). I know a lot of people on this forum don't care, but I listen to sport talk radio, Giants, and Warriors (all on AM, 50,000 watts) more than anything else on the radio, so not having AM is a relatively big deal for me. I'm probably going to get some sort of dedicated AM radio ... It's crazy on a $150k car.