Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did my text go???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone

Relatively new MS owner. 2017 Model 75, pearl white. Have had for about two months.

I have not been driving my MS for about 2-3 weeks because I just had clear bra and nano ceramic coating put on and was advised it took about that long to dry. Have three cars, so just drove extra car.

When driving today, I tried to text wife by pressing voice button and saying "text ....". It thought for awhile then gave me a question mark and said try again. I tried it with a few other names and same result. I know there has been a few updates in that short period of time, but I could swear when I first got my car it used to text with that command

Has that function gone away? Was I imagining that I ever could do it? I don't think it was on my iPhone with Siri because I seem to specifically remember it was activated through steering wheel, would review text on screen, then ask if I wanted to send.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am beginning to think I am losing my mind.

Is this April 1?

At least in the current S/X software, there isn't any support for smartphone text messaging or voice mail. Only support for phone calls, contacts, calendar and Bluetooth audio.

Who, what?

Last I looked, my Model S will read text messages that I receive, and I can reply to them via voice.

Or did they break that in recent builds?
I'm guessing that's a Siri/Corona/Google Home/Third party app that does this for you, not the S???

Last I heard the S did not read messages, could not write messages, and had no communication with your text messages.

Is this a new feature? I know when I got it, there was no text message options.

I'm guessing that's a Siri/Corona/Google Home/Third party app that does this for you, not the S???

Last I heard the S did not read messages, could not write messages, and had no communication with your text messages.

Is this a new feature? I know when I got it, there was no text message options.

No, was definitely the Model S - it read with its voice, and when I hit reply I could do it via the scroll wheel on the steering wheel and you see "Reply" as an option on the driver glass panel - so definitely integrated into the Model S software.

But I just tried it and it doesn't do it anymore. However, I think I know why. Last time I tried it I had a Windows phone, and now I have an Android. Looking at this thread, the text message thing may be a Windows-phone only feature:

MS reading your Text messages?

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Tech_Guy and Max*