Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did tire pressure go? V11 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to view tire pressure with v11, on a model 3? It’s supposed to be under service screen but it’s not there.
All help appreciated.
Checked the display today on our Model 3 (v11). Service menu brought up depiction of car with PSI # at each corner. The actual pressure was displayed after I had driven a couple of blocks.

The pressure figures disappeared pretty quickly after I parked car at home. Got out of car and got back in after a minute or two. The PSI figures were gone. Doesn't look like I could rely on the display if I was adjusting tire pressures.

Reactions: chrstna4
Checked the display today on our Model 3 (v11). Service menu brought up depiction of car with PSI # at each corner. The actual pressure was displayed after I had driven a couple of blocks.

The pressure figures disappeared pretty quickly after I parked car at home. Got out of car and got back in after a minute or two. The PSI figures were gone. Doesn't look like I could rely on the display if I was adjusting tire pressures.
I don't understand why one would want to rely on the displayed pressure from the sensors when a real tire pressure gauge allows you to fill and check without getting up to check the cabin.

I don't understand why one would want to rely on the displayed pressure from the sensors when a real tire pressure gauge allows you to fill and check without getting up to check the cabin.
That was my thought as well but an earlier post indicated that someone used the display rather than a tire gauge. Personally I always have a tire gauge handy (along with a 12v pump), particularly on out-of-town trips.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I have a slow leak in a tire so I check my tire pressure regularly while driving to see if it’s time to add a little air. Looking forward to getting new tires (soon-ish) so I don’t have to do that anymore.

Also, I have used the car screen to watch tire pressure after hitting a big pothole to make sure it’s not losing pressure.

Reactions: ULEWZ
I have a slow leak in a tire so I check my tire pressure regularly while driving to see if it’s time to add a little air. Looking forward to getting new tires (soon-ish) so I don’t have to do that anymore.

Also, I have used the car screen to watch tire pressure after hitting a big pothole to make sure it’s not losing pressure.
That's what it's for! Not when filling tires.

Reactions: Dandesy
2022 model S. I can't get the TPMS to display anything other than dashes. There is no where to turn on the TPMS system. I verified the wheel sizes, but that doesn't seem to do anything. The instructions I read say to go to controls>Settings, but Settings is not available under controls. If I look in the service tab, there is no way to trigger a TPMS learning mode.

MG Miller.....I believe the TPMS readings will not read out until you've driven a short distance ( 0.1-0.2 miles is usually enough). If you're checking the TPMS while the car is parked, you will see only dashes as you've described ( unless you just recently completed a drive, in which case the readings remain visible for a short time before reverting to dashes). My car is a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor, but I'm pretty sure this information is the same for the 2022 Model S.

Short explanation : Environmental air (from an air compressor) has moisture in it. Because of that moisture, and as tires rotate, the flexing of the sidewall causes the air in the tires to heat up. This the pressure in the tires to go up 2-4 degrees from the original cold tire pressure. If you use nitrogen, which is drier as compared to environmental air, the pressure remains much more constant.

I deliberately overfill my tires (in my comfortable garage, of course) and then let pressure out to a desirable level, such as 50 lbs. This should still be good when the winter temp cools the air, but I can still check ONE tire (after I know they are all the same) to see what they sit at in the outside air. Tire pressure also increases as the tire rotates and flexes, so it's a balancing act, but once the tire pressures are all the same, it doesn't matter a whole bunch.
Generally, tire pressures are specified for cold, or sometimes both cold and hot. But I think cold means room temperature rather than extreme cold. I have no idea what hot would mean, because aside from the increase with weather (1 pound or so for every degrees of heat), the pressure also increases about one degree per minute of driving for the first 15 minutes or so.

So, it's hard to be precise, but my take is you should inflate them to the specified pressure in your garage, and they probably won't get lower when driving. I personally keep an accurate pressure gauge in the car (small digital one), and a good manual gauge in the garage. I only rely on the the tpms system to warn me in case something happens while driving. Hopefully it will do that.

You’re an idiot. When you get a low tire pressure warning then of course you need to be able to see the tire pressure to ensure you inflate to proper amount. How else would you suggest knowing this you smart ass?
Ummm... Ever hear of a tire pressure gauge? I think by law the warning doesn't trigger until the tire is 25% low, which is mainly for when you have an event while driving, and the tire is rapidly losing air. If you wait until the warning to check the tires, you'll not only need tires more often, but it's unsafe.

Don't be so quick to call people an idiot. It only makes you look bad, and isn't a way to promote learning. Also, when you're wrong, it make you look like an even bigger idiot. Or do you think you're always right?

Reactions: matj1285
I want to see my tire pressure easily. Previous version is definitely better for tire pressire check and hope to see it back soon
Since tire pressure should be checked when the car has not been driven for a couple of hours, and really should be checked before a drive, the old system was no better than the new one. Neither showed pressure before driving.

Now, my tire pressure gauge at least does the job correctly, although it does require me to bend over, which at 75, is getting harder.