Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did USB music go in Software 11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found it by accident today - it’s actually in the “USB” icon, it opens up a file browser type interface and you can play your tracks from there. It seems like the v11 UI split the old “music” tab into separate apps, which I do prefer, I like standalone Spotify

I don't know what you mean it's in the USB icon.
I did find the blind spot camera though, thanks.
Sorry about that, if you go to the new icon row on the bottom (the one you can now customize) there’s an icon that opens up a bubble with all the rest of the app icons that are not in your favorites. There should be a USB icon there (might look like a drive icon I’m not in my car ATM), that should show your music and your boom box files if you have any too, it looks like a file browser.

As stated above, I am not sure if the search works, I don’t use USB for music, but apparently it is broken.

Hope that helps!

Sorry about that, if you go to the new icon row on the bottom (the one you can now customize) there’s an icon that opens up a bubble with all the rest of the app icons that are not in your favorites. There should be a USB icon there (might look like a drive icon I’m not in my car ATM), that should show your music and your boom box files if you have any too, it looks like a file browser.

As stated above, I am not sure if the search works, I don’t use USB for music, but apparently it is broken.

Hope that helps!
When I click the [...] icon, it shows a bunch of "apps" like Spotify, streaming, browser, etc. but none are USB. I rebooted car, no change.

Reactions: EVNation
When I click the [...] icon, it shows a bunch of "apps" like Spotify, streaming, browser, etc. but none are USB. I rebooted car, no change.
So there is a list if you swipe up on the currently playing media (making it big). In my case I don’t have a USB device with music on it but I would assume it would show up there.
4D08E447-8C25-447A-A300-D98AE5D92095.jpeg

That is where I looked too, but nothing. I was playing USB music just two days ago, so I know my device is good and the port is good, unless something in the update hosed it. I removed it and plugged it back in too. I know they made a requirement that USB had to be formatted a certain way for the xLights to recognize files, I didn't see anything new about music. Thank for the help diamond.g

Hmmm, I just brought my USB thumb drive and plugged into my PC and it is not recognized. I wonder if Software 11 shleprocked my thumb drive.

Last edited:
That is where I looked too, but nothing. I was playing USB music just two days ago, so I know my device is good and the port is good, unless something in the update hosed it. I removed it and plugged it back in too. I know they made a requirement that USB had to be formatted a certain way for the xLights to recognize files, I didn't see anything new about music. Thank for the help diamond.g

Hmmm, I just brought my USB thumb drive and plugged into my PC and it is not recognized. I wonder if Software 11 shleprocked my thumb drive.

Yup, I put in a new USB and it worked. Too much of a coincidence that it worked the day before v11 update. I do not recall ever reading that you should remove a USB drive before doing any updated to prevent damage

I have the USB icon but my music is also all gone.
My Boombox folder seem to have survived, I had 4 .mp3 files in there that are still there.

I forgot where am I suppose to add the music folder and whats it suppose to be called. Did to a long time ago and forgot the file structure.

After I installed the holiday update on my 2021 Tesla Model 3, I am missing the USB icon from the user interface and can't connect and play USB music or connect any USB drives. Anyone have any ideas how to get this functionality back ?

Can I redo the install of V11.0 over again since I think it may be related to a bad install ?

I have uploaded a screen shot of someone who has the USB and mine that does not.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpeg
    IMG_0875.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.47.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.47.29 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
After I installed the holiday update on my 2021 Tesla Model 3, I am missing the USB icon from the user interface and can't connect and play USB music or connect any USB drives. Anyone have any ideas how to get this functionality back ?

Can I redo the install of V11.0 over again since I think it may be related to a bad install ?

I have uploaded a screen shot of someone who has the USB and mine that does not.
Someone on FB asked the same question and figured out that their USB drive was messed up as it also stopped working in their computer as well.

This is a perfect example of why nobody should want a car company to have the ability to force changes into the appearance, ease of use and functionality of the UI that we all bought, knew and liked. Especially one that is full of so many bugs and drawbacks.

Background improvements, even additions are ok, but altering the complete look and functionality of the operating screen is criminal.

This is a perfect example of why nobody should want a car company to have the ability to force changes into the appearance, ease of use and functionality of the UI that we all bought, knew and liked. Especially one that is full of so many bugs and drawbacks.

Background improvements, even additions are ok, but altering the complete look and functionality of the operating screen is criminal.
You didn’t have to update though?

Reactions: PrGrPa

I disagree. It's one of the reasons I gave Tesla my money, and I'm hoping that the other car companies take notice.

I do think their QC needs improvement, and I'd be all for the DOT or NHTSA or whomever regulates this to force them to improve their QC. But I think the answer lies somewhere between how Tesla does things and other cars where the UI is stuck in the year you bought it.

And, as others have said, you were hardly "forced".

Reactions: PrGrPa
I disagree. It's one of the reasons I gave Tesla my money, and I'm hoping that the other car companies take notice.

I do think their QC needs improvement, and I'd be all for the DOT or NHTSA or whomever regulates this to force them to improve their QC. But I think the answer lies somewhere between how Tesla does things and other cars where the UI is stuck in the year you bought it.

And, as others have said, you were hardly "forced".
Folks asked where the QC was with this release, yet failed to remember all they did was give us the same UI/UX as the new Model S and X got, so THOSE folks were doing the QA for us (3/Y folk) and failed miserably (basically, lol).